New Smart Smartphone Integration

Nuke-E

The new ForTwo is on display at the NYIAS this week. Just saw this article:

http://jalopnik.com/the-new-smart-fortwo-may-have-the-best-smartphone-integ-1695256814

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I think I might be trading in mine for a 2016. If the lease rates stay about the same.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I've read several articles on the new smart. All of them liked it quite a bit. I think I may sell this one with my truck and build another set.....Just have to get them sold.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've read several articles on the new smart. All of them liked it quite a bit. I think I may sell this one with my truck and build another set.....Just have to get them sold.

Was thinking the same thing my friend. Been trying to get heaver springs on the truck with no luck. So maybe next yr start the process!!!!

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Jack;

Are you thinking of selling your truck? You just got it setup the way you wanted it, can I ask why the change?

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Jack;

Are you thinking of selling your truck? You just got it setup the way you wanted it, can I ask why the change?

Curt

Sometimes it is better to sell it and start over if you can get enough out of it. To put a 2016 smart on this bed I would have to modify the entire deck. Or increase the risk of a car strike in a 90* turn. It would be very close - and I have made plenty of 90* turns with this setup. My mistake when I built it and tried to make it as short as possible. The other factor in the build making it this short was I did not have to extend the frame rails any....making it longer would have required a frame extension. Again, my mistake. I also am still toying with the idea of moving to a semi-trailer. In which case this truck cannot pull it - because this is set up as a hauler body, not as a semi-trailer hauler. (Clearance is in the trailer hitch area on a hauler - it is on the truck itself as a semi-trailer) That is the major reason to consider the change.

I can keep what I have and be very happy with it. It is a fabulous set-up. Or sell the entire package to someone at less than they would pay to have one built up, and start over. BTW, I'm not quite done with upgrades to this truck. I still have to rework some electrical stuff and add a side view camera to the truck. I also have to figure out why my seat heater does not work. But it is mostly done. This truck would sell to someone that wants a "known" turnkey truck. Not to someone that wants to build one up themselves. Gregg would build me the next truck with his body on it. The issue right now is finding trucks.....it is becoming VERY hard to find good clean later-model trucks.

While it is never "cheaper" to buy a new truck - meaning a fresh order RV hauler.....it is becoming more rational to do so. My issue with that is at age 64 I do not have the "RV lifetime" left on the road to justify a new build. Even assuming I could find a buyer for the truck at a rational price in a few years. On the other hand, sometimes you just have to spend the money :( It is a hard decision. I can see us getting out of the "large" trailers in 5-10 years. But I sure would like to end my "run" with a semi-trailer that I custom built. :)

I actually would sell this entire set up - New Horizons, truck, smart - to the right person as a fabulous "turnkey" setup. But it would take the right buyer.

20141212_103423.jpg

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Curt

This is no change for Jack, Danielle and Poppy are priceless. Everything else can be sold and replaced at any time. ;)

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Curt

This is no change for Jack, Danielle and Poppy are priceless. Everything else can be sold and replaced at any time. ;)

So true, Trey. As long as Danielle and Poppy are happy, I'm happy.

And as always I will sell anything at any time. And do. We always find something "different" to do with the new gear. :) Although Danielle HAS said that she does not want to swap this trailer out - she likes it so much. This is said, of course, while putting items on her "list" for the next trailer. :(

www.jackdanmayer.com

Sometimes it is better to sell it and start over if you can get enough out of it. To put a 2016 smart on this bed I would have to modify the entire deck. Or increase the risk of a car strike in a 90* turn. It would be very close - and I have made plenty of 90* turns with this setup. My mistake when I built it and tried to make it as short as possible. The other factor in the build making it this short was I did not have to extend the frame rails any....making it longer would have required a frame extension.

Jack, I looked through your bed build pics again and these are my thoughts.

To meet the new 2016 width of the smart, all you need to do is move the position of the car back 2 inches. It looks like you have about that much clearance from the edge of center storage box on your bed. Are you folding the mirror in next to the drom box when loading? If not, that easily gives you room and you probably have that already.

Would you be able to simply move the ET Hitch back the same amount? It looks like the 1/2 inch base of the ET could be mounted sliding it back. It should fit in between the side projections where you step onto the bed. Maybe the ET Guru could comment on the best way to slide his hitch back just a couple of inches.

Move the car back 2 inches from the Drom accounts for half the new 4 inch wider smart. Move the hitch back another 2, and you should have it.

Of course this won't be as much fun as starting over :o:D .

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived