iPad Backup Question

DJW

I have/had a 2nd Gen iPad that we gave to our daughter-in-law new back in Nov 2011. After our grand daughter dropped it and broke the glass they took it in and had the glass replaced. It looked nice however it would not hold a charge nor turn on without being plugged in nor connect to wifi when they got it back. We gave Chel Linda's 2nd Gen and bought her a new 3rd Gen last month when we came home from HI. I brought the non working 2nd Gen home looking forward to having a little fun. I ordered a new battery and a new wifi antenna along with a iPad repair tool kit so going in I had less than $20 in the deal if the patient died on the workbench. I watched a few how to videos on Youtube and opened her up right there on the workbench. It was not as big a mess as I had expected. The biggest issue was some very tiny screws that were a PIA to get back in. I replaced all the new parts as directed in the videos and put her back together. I plugged her in and turned her on and she was Alive. Her charging rate was normal. I took her off the AC cord and she continued to run on her own. The last question was could she make it back to the net. I tapped the setting app and plugged in our network and the password and she sprang to life. She was back. She had spent the last 18 months living on a shelf unwanted in paradise and now she lives as a spare in Arkansas proving that fairytales do come true.

So here is my question. Before I reset the iPad back to factory defaults to get rid of all of Chel's stuff I did a backup via iTunes and it said it was successfully backed up on my laptop. But where does it back it up on my laptop to? I cannot find that file/backup. What I would like to do if possible is copy all of the videos/pictures Chel had on it and drop them on a thumb drive and send it to her. Is this possible?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

Congratulations on the successful operation. I can not tell you where the backup is, only that you need to go through ITunes to restore the iPad. Good luck.

Jeanie and John

Ford F-250 super crew

Americana 34/35 GS (it's a Forest River Cardinal with extras)

The folder where your backup data are stored varies depending on the computer's operating system. Make sure the backup folder is included in your periodic data-backup routine.

iTunes places the backup files in the following places:

•Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

•Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Note: To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run. Type %appdata% and click OK.

•Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press the Return key.

There is no option within iTunes to change the backup file location.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Ok I found the file. My next question is do I need an Apple device to look at this because it does not open each file? Also can I drop the folder on a thumb drive send it to HI and have Chel copy it to there Win 7 machine and then give her my iTunes account info and hook up her iPad to her computer open iTunes using my account info and do a restore to her iPad moving all those pictures to her iPad? The file is dated yesterday when I did the backup so it would be easy to identify.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Yes you will need an Apple device to view the files. And I would imagine that would work but you need a person who has an iPad that has done that to verify. Finding the file is as far as I can get you, and to confirm that you need an Apple device to read Apple files. As far as whether the files can be copied and restored that way it sounds right, but as I said, I can't verify that because I have no Apple devices.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

YW Dennis,

Now let us know how it works so the next person in the same boat knows too!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived