Inverter fan temperature range

How warm should an inverter get before it's cooling fan kicks on ?

I happened to notice the inverter making a little hum type noise and then I felt it to see how warm it was , because the fan was not running .

It was not hot , but fairly warm . I mean , warm - not too far from hot .

I'd never noticed any of that in the 5 years we've owned the MH . Is it a common occurrence and I've simply never witnessed it ?

Goes around , comes around .

I am certainly not an expert on when the fan should come on but an old rule of thumb for electric motors and other electric items has always been "if you can hold your hand on it without discomfort" it is not too hot.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

There are converters that have no fan and others one that runs constantly, as well as those with a thermostat. It really isn't possible to know at what temperature one is set to turn on without specific information on the converter you are addressing. The sound is probably just transformer vibration which is pretty normal for most of them. The way that transformers work causes them to have a small vibration and to remain completely silent they must be shock mounted and have nothing at all which is even slightly loose. Few transformers are completely noise free and those which are rarely stay that way for their entire life. Unless the unit gets too hot to keep your hand on it and the fan isn't running, I would not be concerned.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Sounds logical , gentlemen . Thank You for the replies .

The fact that I'd never witnessed the inverter doing anything had me wondering .

I'll keep a casual eye (hand) on it . More out of curiosity than real concern .

Thanks , again . :)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived