Onan 5.5KW GenSet "Aw Nuts" experience

adept99

Henry, I really do wish you'd quit beating around the bush & just tell us what you really think...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Charlie, when I come back from the ECR, I'll have some of the new jaws made, will need an address where to ship a set to you.

Lucas stuff has been around on British sites for generations, this one is a real hoot!

A Treatise on the Importance of Smoke
by Joseph Lucas

Positive ground depends on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing. For example, if one places a copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions. The logic is elementary and inescapable!

The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they consumed large quantities of
smoke, requiring very unsightly large wires.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brake systems leak fluid, British tires leak air and British Intelligence leaks national defence secrets. Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy in the form of smoke provides a logical explanation of the mysteries of electrical components - especially British units manufactured by Joseph Lucas, Ltd.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark."

Joseph Lucas (1842 - 1903)

I've read and heard much about Lucas electrical systems and components over the years, but I never realized that the Prince of Darkness himself had weighed in on the importance of smoke in the transmission of electrical energy.

Thanks for the enlightening reading, Phoenix!

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Hence the term "Smoke Test" when energizing an electrical circuit for the first time...

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Many folks have had problems with Lucas electrics and have good reason to complain. They were also a bit unique and difficult to substitute something else for due to the uniqueness or possibly the perversity of the folks that designed them.

I bought a Triumph slightly used thinking it would be fun to drive and get me back and forth to school, 50 some miles away cheaply and reliably. I did notice the water temp gauge wasn't working when I bought it but didn't worry too much, a new one or a new sensor couldn't be a big deal... Checked the wiring and it was good. Ordered a sender and gauge. Got the sender delivered a week and swapped it in with no improvement. When I sold the car two years later I passed on the still open and still valid parts order receipt from BAP to the new owner.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

So help me out here folks.......I went back to the original post on this thread......some key words pop up.........smoke....leak....special tools.......more leaks and more smoke..........

Did Onan hire Lucas to ..........mis-design the oil filter on this generator.......wow imagine smoking, leaking oil in total darkness.......gotta-be-Lucas branching out into the oil filtration biz.......

If you use "Henrys Law" .........Oil + Lucas = Smoke

Brings a whole new meaning to.........The DARK side..........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

You guys are killing me with the Lucas jokes... As a former owner of a Sunbeam Tiger and an Alpine as well as a Triumph GT6 and being a mechanic at dads garage for several years working on British cars, I would have thought that most of you would have been familiar with Lucas part number 530433, replacement electrical smoke. You can still find jars of NOS (New Old Stock) smoke here:

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

It became quite scarce about 30 years ago for a short period forcing many of us to replace the wiring with American products. Please note that if you do this, you will need to run separate ground wires to each light as our "superior" American wiring is not capable of making a good ground thru the rusty panel beater joints in the body like Lucas intended them to work. All of these problems were temporarily solved in the mid 60's with Chryslers purchase of some British companies (Sunbeam being one). Chrysler solved the issue in a unique way by not allowing anything to work thus negating the faulty electronics as the car wouldn't move even if a miracle happened and the engine actually started.

I also enjoyed superior British engineering....Some of my favorites were the requirement to pull the engine and transmission from a Sunbeam Alpine, separate them and then remove the intake and exhaust to reach the starter and replace that lovely Lucas unit..... Not to mention spending an hour trying to balance the carbs on a Triumph with a vacuum gauge only to have them crap out 10 miles later and need yet another rebuild.....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Obviously I touched a nerve with the original post. That said, Y'all got waaaayyyyy to much free time on your hands....Just Sayin'

(And that is the Weirdest water pipe / hookah I ever saw!)

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Archived