Healthcare and the RV Lifestyle

MargoA

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two of the three plans Liberty offers are 125,000 per incident and the other is 1,000,000.00. (unless they changed)/ I have no particular bone to pick with the share plans except people need to understand the price disparity exists for a reason. FOR ALL PLANS you need to consider what is covered, the providers that participate, in network/out network limits if applicable, coinsurance levels, copays, deductible amount, annual out of pocket maximum, per incident caps, lifetime caps and out of state coverage for non emergency needs. You need to compare apples to apples. I agree with Glenn that an insurance plan you can't afford does you no good but looking for a "good deal" on insurance without being very careful to understand why it is a good deal is Critical.

Dave and Lana Hasper

For an RVer's health care needs, I suggest Kyle Henson's site http://rverhealthinsurance.com.

Though at first I was skeptical of Kyle's site, I found it one of the best RV healthcare authorities on the web -- and eventually bought Medicare plans through his site.

Besides Kyle's site, for those under 65 (not on Medicare) there is also the free https://www.healthcare.gov and https://www.healthsherpa.com.

For Medicare planning, there is the free https://www.medicare.gov web site.

Glad you came around Zulu ;)

x2 on Kyle Henson. He got me out of a jam in January. He does what he says. Thanks Kyle.

Thanks kountryguy1 !

Still have not heard from anyone on the Medical Savings Plan. Surely someone has tried this plan. It sounds great (maybe too great) and am still looking for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. I was not able to find out much about it and would like verified information so I can update my book, "Healthcare & the RV Lifestyle."

This is the kind of stuff I live for, getting information out there so no one steps into a hole because there is no detour sign tacked up. It is always costly getting out of that hole.

Yes, these are Medicare Advantage (MA) Plans and they work much like a HSA does. Your health plan is a High Ded plan and you pull funds from your MSA account to cover medical expenses inside your deductible.

They are actually a decent option, even for RVers (generally MA plans are a bad idea for RVers due to network restrictions), because you often have freedom to choose your own providers with Medicare MSAs.

The problem is that they are so rarely offered. There are none offered in any of the Escapees locations in TX, SD, or FL.

Kyle Henson, Fulltime RVer since 2011

Founder/Former Owner of  RVer Insurance Exchange

Two of the three plans Liberty offers are 125,000 per incident and the other is 1,000,000.00. (unless they changed)/ I have no particular bone to pick with the share plans except people need to understand the price disparity exists for a reason. FOR ALL PLANS you need to consider what is covered, the providers that participate, in network/out network limits if applicable, coinsurance levels, copays, deductible amount, annual out of pocket maximum, per incident caps, lifetime caps and out of state coverage for non emergency needs. You need to compare apples to apples. I agree with Glenn that an insurance plan you can't afford does you no good but looking for a "good deal" on insurance without being very careful to understand why it is a good deal is Critical.

Not saying it is not possible but a single incident costing 1m is rare and just let me die before bankrupting everyone.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Does not need to be 1M to bankrupt you.

A lot less can do it.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Yes, these are Medicare Advantage (MA) Plans and they work much like a HSA does. Your health plan is a High Ded plan and you pull funds from your MSA account to cover medical expenses inside your deductible.

They are actually a decent option, even for RVers (generally MA plans are a bad idea for RVers due to network restrictions), because you often have freedom to choose your own providers with Medicare MSAs.

The problem is that they are so rarely offered. There are none offered in any of the Escapees locations in TX, SD, or FL.

I think you're mixing "Medicare Advantage (MA) Plans" and "Medicare Medical Savings Account (MSA) Plans"?

On edit: I see that MSA's are considered to be one of the less common types of MA's.

Different types of Medicare Advantage Plans

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Maybe Glenn but folks should be aware the level is 125,000 on two of the three plans. Also I believe lifetime caps of 5 million. The interesting thing about these plans is that they are now becoming much more popular because they qualify as an exemption to ACA. This could go either way, the expanded base could provide additional capital and spread the risks or people who don't really believe in the mission of these ministries could join introducing increased fraud and defaults. The other issue would be if these share plans now attract a higher risk pool. I guess wait and watch. It could go either way. Here is an interesting overview article that mentions liberty but discusses all 4 of them and the history. http://kaiserhealthnews.org/news/paying-on-faith-ministries-offer-alternative-to-health-insurance/

Dave and Lana Hasper

You have to do what meets your needs and what you can afford. We travel all over the country so we need a plan that will provide service all over the country and is within our financial ability to pay. Those are the only qualifications.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On edit: I see that MSA's are considered to be one of the less common types of MA's.

Different types of Medicare Advantage Plans

You got it. It's too bad they aren't more common. I believe the reason is that they have proven too expensive for the insurance companies because of the lack of network control.

You got it. It's too bad they aren't more common. I believe the reason is that they have proven too expensive for the insurance companies because of the lack of network control.

Thanks, but I think I'll stick with my current no premium (except the standard Medicare premium), no deductible, Part D included, use it almost anywhere, more common MA Plan. :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Maybe Glenn but folks should be aware the level is 125,000 on two of the three plans. Also I believe lifetime caps of 5 million. The interesting thing about these plans is that they are now becoming much more popular because they qualify as an exemption to ACA. This could go either way, the expanded base could provide additional capital and spread the risks or people who don't really believe in the mission of these ministries could join introducing increased fraud and defaults. The other issue would be if these share plans now attract a higher risk pool. I guess wait and watch. It could go either way. Here is an interesting overview article that mentions liberty but discusses all 4 of them and the history. http://kaiserhealthnews.org/news/paying-on-faith-ministries-offer-alternative-to-health-insurance/

It appears you have some agenda against health share. Also I am not the only one that feels this way. Health share has been around for centuries. Some were good and some not but overall excellent coverage and helped many an individual who couldn't themselves afford health care. Health share can not be mention on this forum without you flaming it.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Any type of share health plan can't be compared to health insurance, that is not what it is. If a health share plan is all that you can afford, maybe it is better then nothing?

You only get what you pay for. Health insurance companies must collect money to: pay claims, buy reinsurance for large claims, administration of the plan, a profit and commissions to sellers of they plan.

I am the CEO for a company with 335 employees and I have been looking for years for ways to reduce health care costs. The only way that I have found is to reduce benefits. If you compare apples to apples there is

not much difference in cost from any of the insurance companies. Do any of you think that a $300 per month share plan can be compared to the $1,000 per month that I pay for my 63 year old wife? Good Luck

My previous BCBS of TX PPO bronze plan 12K ded. 100% after ded cost us just shy of 1300 a month with a dental plan also. My Liberty health share plan is 299 with 1k "ded" then 100%. We have a 1 million cap per incident. We get discounts for dental which is not as good but we could purchase separate coverage if we wanted. This is not insurance but same results. We are better off with this. My wife is getting surgery which will be under 10k and we would had to foot entire bill with ACA. We share 1k and Liberty pays rest. That 1k ded is yearly also. How are we worse off? My blood work and physicals can be paid out of pocket and still save money but Liberty covers that after ded also.

An agenda? My only agenda Glenn is to provide people information in an area that was my profession just as I get help on other topics. If you read the article I posted you will see it is on the whole positive. Speaking of agendas, does Liberty still give a $100.00 gift card for each referral? I only talk about Liberty after you first bring it up and that is a lot.

Dave and Lana Hasper

First I have heard of that 100.00. And if they did I wouldn't. I have no agenda with it. I just tell others its worth checking out. I don't normally give this much info but I felt had to defend it and that is unusual.

My hubby is turning 65 on his next birthday, so we are starting to research the medicare plans available , supplements etc. I have found information regarding the prescription coverage but whenever I find a site that will compare the plans and cost, they want you to list your medications. He is not on any medications, so with nothing listed, it won't estimate any premiums or compare plans. Do I need to worry about this or can you sign up at any time in the future with no penalty of a higher premium? Does anyone know?

Pat DeJong

Do I need to worry about this or can you sign up at any time in the future with no penalty of a higher premium? Does anyone know?

Unfortunately, you must sign him up on some plan by the month of his 65th birthday to avoid pentalty. The penalty is 10% of the premium. Every year not enrolled Medicare adds 10% more penalty. You can defer the cash payment though. But you must start paying the Part B premium the first month he is eligible. If he takes the pension payment too, it is deducted from that amount and the balance deposited into your bank account.

~ Helping to Make Your RV Life Flow Smoothly ~

MovingOnWithMargo.com discussing all things RV plus life's challenges and rewards.

RVLifestyleExperts.com - A unique website with hundreds of articles that answer questions about the RV lifestyle.

Do I need to worry about this or can you sign up at any time in the future with no penalty of a higher premium? Does anyone know?

Margo is correct as I read the Medicare website on rules. You must have both part B and part D in order to avoid penalties.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If Pete does not currently take medications, IMHO, the penalty for signing up for Part D later would be worth waiting on that. Some plans only charge about $35 per month for Part D Drugs. The 10% penalty might only be $15 a month if you wait several years until the actual need arises.

Since I don't take any medications I have no personal experience. What is the average cost for Part D? Please mention if the cost is coupled with an "Advantage" plan or just a Drug plan separate.

Thanks for the input.

~ Helping to Make Your RV Life Flow Smoothly ~

MovingOnWithMargo.com discussing all things RV plus life's challenges and rewards.

RVLifestyleExperts.com - A unique website with hundreds of articles that answer questions about the RV lifestyle.

Just to clarify the Part D situation a bit...

The penalty is actually 1% per month that you do not have the coverage and are eligible. Medicare calculates the penalty by multiplying 1% of the national average premium ($33.13 in 2015) times the number of full, uncovered months you didn't have Part D or creditable coverage.

When I have clients that aren't on medications ask about Part D I usually recommend getting a low cost one to 1) have some coverage in case you need rx coverage mid-year, and 2) to avoid the penalty. Most states have one or two Part D plans offered in the $20/mo range or less...at least that has been the case since Part D was implemented in 2006.

Also, you do not have to take Medicare Part B upon eligibility if you have other creditable coverage (i.e. from an employer). In fact, it is wise to not take out Part B until you need it because as soon as you do your 6 month Initial Coverage Open Enrollment begins for Medicare Supplement coverage.

Just to clarify the Part D situation a bit...

The penalty is actually 1% per month that you do not have the coverage and are eligible. Medicare calculates the penalty by multiplying 1% of the national average premium ($33.13 in 2015) times the number of full, uncovered months you didn't have Part D or creditable coverage.

Is it a 1% penalty that you actually have to pay? Or, is it a 1% penalty that is added to your premium if you ever do take out prescription drug coverage?

I enrolled in a Part D plan simply to avoid this penalty since I figured I'd probably need more prescriptions in the future. At present, I only take two prescriptions and I pay a few dollars more per year for premiums and co-pays than I would if I didn't have the insurance to begin with and just bought the drugs at retail.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Is it a 1% penalty that you actually have to pay? Or, is it a 1% penalty that is added to your premium if you ever do take out prescription drug coverage?

You pay the penalty (yes, added on to your premium) only if and when you enroll in a Part D drug plan.

I guess I will have to get an agent involved to find a low cost plan. As the online programs are set up, I cannot access cost comparisons because I have no drugs to list. From what I understand, the drug lists are not the same for all plans. Do you just pay for a plan and then hope that if you are put on medication, it happens to be one on the drug list for the plan you choose?

Pat DeJong

Archived