Nm travel via Hwy 60 ( south of ABQ.)

kathydavidb

Soon we hope to be traveling N. on I 25 near Bernardo, Nm. We thought we would like to travel on Hwy. 60 east to Vaughn, Nm. then north to I 40 east. Has any one gone this route? Are there many hills or bad areas? Hopefully this would be more scenic than going thru ABQ. Thank you in advance. Dave.

We have driven US-60 a number of times. As said it is a good road. The Salinas Pueblos National Monument is in Mountainaire. If you continue East on US-60 past Vaughn you will go through Fort Sumner. US-60 intersects I-27 in Canyon, TX where there is Palo Duro Canyon State Park which has a nice campground down in the canyon. I-40 is a short drive North on I-27 to Amarillo.

If you do head North to I-40 from Vaugh, Tucumcari is an Old Route 66 town with a number of things to see.

...Fort Sumner is on the list of historical 'must visit' sites...

Lake Sumner State Park has a nice campground. Depending on where in East Texas and whether you have been there before, US-84 from Clovis, NM will take you to Lubbock where there is the American Wind Power Museum, National Ranching Heritage Center, Silent Wings Museum, and the Buddy Holly Center all of which we enjoyed visiting.

I'm not a blogger and don't have a website for photos, but this webpage gives a good description of US-60 through New Mexico with several photos.

trailertraveler... Very Excellent - Thanks.

Just finished up a great biography of Kit Carson by Hampton Sides... "Blood and thunder"... and the Fort Sumner area and Bosque Redondo area play a prominent part of his later life. I would like to see it. Next January, when we leave East Texas and head for Arizona, we may try the 'northern' Texas route that would take us by there.

Thanks for the references, trailertraveler!

Jim

Archived