Solar Panel Question

Ronbo

I have everything installed except the panels. I have been trying to find the Grape Solar 160 watt panels. No one has 6 panels available. I will be going to a few places tomorrow and purchasing my panels. I am looking now at 4 250-300 watt panels. I have the mounting brackets already. I will have 6 brackets available per panel since I am getting 4 panels instead of 6. The panels i am looking at weigh between 45-50 lbs instead of 25 lbs for the Grape Solar 160 watt. So the important question is do I need 6 mounts per panel or will 4 be sufficient? I have a 1 piece fiberglass roof that is the same level front to back and arched side to side.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I have everything installed except the panels. I have been trying to find the Grape Solar 160 watt panels. No one has 6 panels available. I will be going to a few places tomorrow and purchasing my panels. I am looking now at 4 250-300 watt panels. I have the mounting brackets already. I will have 6 brackets available per panel since I am getting 4 panels instead of 6. The panels i am looking at weigh between 45-50 lbs instead of 25 lbs for the Grape Solar 160 watt. So the important question is do I need 6 mounts per panel or will 4 be sufficient? I have a 1 piece fiberglass roof that is the same level front to back and arched side to side.

Wow, Ron, that is a great price.

I'd mount with the 4 legs per panel and then see if you feel they need extra support. If so you can add two more in the middle. If you are using the same brackets that George did and you have a good roof surface you will likely find the four to be sufficient.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I found the installation instructions and they state 4 mounting locations. Now I just have to find the time to get them installed. Almost there

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived