Ajo, Arizona for the winter

blz450

We will be exploring western Arizona this winter to see where there might be a nice spot to spend December and January. We've been to Quartzsite and liked the area but it was a bit crowded for our taste. Has anyone spent time in Ajo, AZ? We like to off-road and it looks like there is plenty of desert to explore.

What did you think of the area? Can you recommend an RV park?

Thanks!

We've always stayed at the Roping Arena when in Ajo, so I can't recommend any RV park although I know there is at least one there. There's a grocery store there that's pretty good for a small town, although pricey. It's not a place we'd like to spend an entire winter, but it's OK for a few days. We are not off-roaders, however, so that may make a difference in perception.

I agree with Linda that Ajo does not seem to offer much for a long term stay, but there is plenty of open desert around there. We stayed at Shadow Ridge for a couple of nights a few years ago when we visited Organ Pipe, nice park with friendly owners. One of the best burgers I ever had was at 100 Estrella in Ajo.

For long term we like Tucson a lot, just finishing our 6th winter at Desert Trails. A lot more to do and see in the Tucson area.

I have had people say they have enjoyed it but had to drive a good ways for medical services etc.

Cal Am Parks in the East side of the valley offer a special each September that lasts until December 31st. We have stayed many times because of the quality of their parks and the special.

Ajo Heights gets a high rating on RV Park Reviews. Shadow Ridge gets lower. We've only boondocked in the area so can't help. It's a clean little town and the people in town were great. Since Q was too busy for you, this might work!

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/arizona/ajo

(Sorry, the 'link' button didn't work for the first time ever).

On Edit: I see that it did.

We stayed a couple nights in Shadow Ridge on our way south several years ago. We enjoyed the people and happened to hit Super Bowl Sunday. Had a great time watching the game in the Rec Room. Everybody was very friendly and there is a real camaraderie between the people. I would never have spent the winter there because it is so far from everything but many snowbirds love the place. We all have our own needs and desires, so go for it if it meets your needs.

Like many others, my stays in Ajo were limited to short boondocking stops. There is a lot of open desert to ride, but not much else. Two other areas you might check out for remote offroad riding, Bouse and Sierra Vista AZ.

Thanks everyone for the good information. We've decided to spend a week in Ajo then move on to Quartzsite for a back-to-back comparison.

Jim2, we will certainly check out Bouse while we are in Q. Sierra Vista is an excellent suggestion, too. We toured Fort Huachuca while visiting Tombstone and liked the area. And it's convenient to our winter base in Columbus, NM. BTW - I see you are near Deming. Send me a PM if you are interested in meeting up sometime.

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument isn't far south of Ajo and has a nice campground, worth visiting and driving the tour roads if you are in the area. Also a good spot to watch the Air Force doing A-10 airplane training at the Goldwater Firing Range south of Ajo.

Archived