Can i stand on the roof?

It depends what your roof is made out of, but most motorhomes and 5th wheels have a "walk on" roof. If your roof is the typical half inch plywood decking with a rubber membrane, then you are fine to walk on it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The roof may be 3/8 inch plywood and if you have a latter attached to your

RV you should be able to walk on it. If I did I would walk softly. I don't walk on mine but

I would if I have to. So far I have been able to wash and treat the roof from a latter

that I move around. I am 225 lbs. Good Luck

Thanks folks!

I will use the ladder as much as possible - I'm pretty heavy. But I know there's stuff I just won't be able to reach without at least crawling up there. I have a 3' X 6' laminated 1/2" board left over from a project in my garage, so I think I'll drag it up there and sit on it in case there is a soft spot.

The board is a good idea... it will spread the load and avoid surprises. :) I do as much work as I can from either a ladder or from a scaffold (which is MUCH better) when I'm at my home base. I can walk up there but I do not like the rear ladder (narrow, feels loose-ish, and nothing to hang onto when you get off or back on). I carry a much better ladder.

I'd take the rear ladder off but I have an antenna on it. :P

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

Clean soft shoes too, don't want to poke holes or leave scratches from gravel or thorns embedded in the soles.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I don't think many AC units, Satellite dishes, or solar systems are installed or repaired from a ladder.

If you have one of the above. Then the roof supported someone OK.

It would be real hard to wash all the roof a couple times a year from a ladder.

Or go to a NASCAR race and see how many are standing on a roof of a RV like yours. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Don't fall and be added to an ever increasing list of those who have. We bend not break at our age.

Notify next of kin.

Seriously, pay someone else to do it.

Roger, you must be a youngster, because I break and not bend.

Ron
US Army retired
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2016 Ford F150 XLT

I was all worried about getting up there and falling through. I was cleaning out an old mouse invasion around the water tank while waiting for my mechanic to show up when I heard him calling me from outside. When I got out there I found out he had been tromping around the roof looking for a broken wire for the last ten minutes. I guess I can assume it's safe up there! :lol:

Archived