Slide topper billowing on the road.

Jimalberta

On the way home today we ran into very high winds and the slide topper for our largest slide started billowing out. i stopped and we ran the slide out and in to see if that would help but no....as soon as I started driving it would start billowing. Had to drive home another 11/2 hrs with this going on.

I am suspecting that the preloaded tension on the topper needs to be wound up more.....any ideas on how to do this? Or is there any other remedy to this problem.

I agree it sounds like your topper needs another wrap on the spring but I forget how it's done. You may have a spring broken at one end. My thoughts are to have the slide almost all the way in and then undo the bracket on one end and give it a turn or two. When they did mine as I recall it was prewound with a cotter key through a couple holes that they pulled out after it was screwed on.

good Luck

figure it out before you drive again if possible. I had my big awning rip off completely roller and all. the arms were hanging down not quite touching the pavement all without me being aware of it. Luckily the roller didn't damage anything on my tt or hitting another vehicle. Thank goodness I did not pass anyone with the arms hanging down at an angle that was out enough that it could have hit a car if I had passed. Someone flagged me down to let me know. I tied up the arms and limped about 2 miles to a state park for the night. Just as I was hooking to elect. a motorhome pulled in that had a lesser awning that damaged the refrig. vent on the roof and then the roller hit their toad and caused significant damage.

Until you can add more tension to the spring or add an anti-sail device to it you can make a roller tie-down with a bit of duct tape and rope that will keep it from billowing.

A couple links, google up more if you are going to make something or hit the on-line stores if you want to just buy and install.

http://www.happy-wanderers.com/technical-articles/94-aae-awning-lock

http://awninglock.com/index.shtml?utm_expid=1952912-2

I had the billowing of my patio awning & like you it was on a windy day. I did some research and found out it was caused by the roller allowing the fabric to unfurl. There were web sites where a latch was installed on the awning arm and the bolt went into the roller. This stopped mine from unfurling in winds and the latch gives me peace of mind that the roller will not loose spring tension or allow the fabric to blow up in the wind. If yours is a big awning, after you get the tension adjusted, you may want to consider a latch for it. Dave.

The simplest solution I have hear of was a fellow that said in the extra hole on the right end of the awning roller, he takes his awning rod,

sticks the bent end in the hole of the roller,

then using straps,

he straps (in two places) the awning rod to the vertical stabilizer .support.

This keeps the horizontal roller from being able to turn.

My awning has locks but not my slide toppers. I can forsee a huge issue if the toppers were locked and you ran the slides out ! My wildest guess is you lost tension for some reason because I have never seen someone unlock the toppers before putting slides out .. Check the end of your toppers where that shaft goes through the arm that holds the topper up...Look if there is a roll pin and if you may have sheared it off to where it may have spun just enough to lose some of the tension ?

edit :; You guys are confusing awnings with slide toppers JIMALBERTA is talking about slide toppers !

Jim the manual addresses exactly that and they even show a sticker that should be placed over your slide switch warning you to not deploy the slides without releasing the slide locks or damage will occur.

These are older slide toppers from 2001 ....I'm wondering if I should get newer mechanisms.

• 3 weeks later...

Jimalberta, My slide toppper did the same in High side winds in California. I put a bungy cord around it to stop it from banging, Took the cord off and waited for the next time still waiting and my slide toppers still work after 9 years and many miles .

Thanks. I'm not sure how I would put a bungy cord around it though since the fabric is attached to the wall of the MH.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to me once driving into a stiff wind off the front quarter. I did an "on road" repair by wrapping the leading edge of the topper and roller with duct tape. Have not had a similar problem since.

Dennis is still trying to get duct tape off :huh: Jim hook bungee cords all the way around your trailer. That should help it stay together.. PS hook the bungees in the wheels :unsure::huh::P

Archived