Slide topper billowing on the road.

On the way home today we ran into very high winds and the slide topper for our largest slide started billowing out. i stopped and we ran the slide out and in to see if that would help but no....as soon as I started driving it would start billowing. Had to drive home another 11/2 hrs with this going on.

I am suspecting that the preloaded tension on the topper needs to be wound up more.....any ideas on how to do this? Or is there any other remedy to this problem.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I don't know how your topper is configured, but ours has a "finger" attached to the roller that hits a bracket screwed to the coach body if the roller tries to unwind with the slide in. If the bracket was missing, the roller would be free to turn.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I agree it sounds like your topper needs another wrap on the spring but I forget how it's done. You may have a spring broken at one end. My thoughts are to have the slide almost all the way in and then undo the bracket on one end and give it a turn or two. When they did mine as I recall it was prewound with a cotter key through a couple holes that they pulled out after it was screwed on.

good Luck

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

figure it out before you drive again if possible. I had my big awning rip off completely roller and all. the arms were hanging down not quite touching the pavement all without me being aware of it. Luckily the roller didn't damage anything on my tt or hitting another vehicle. Thank goodness I did not pass anyone with the arms hanging down at an angle that was out enough that it could have hit a car if I had passed. Someone flagged me down to let me know. I tied up the arms and limped about 2 miles to a state park for the night. Just as I was hooking to elect. a motorhome pulled in that had a lesser awning that damaged the refrig. vent on the roof and then the roller hit their toad and caused significant damage.

Until you can add more tension to the spring or add an anti-sail device to it you can make a roller tie-down with a bit of duct tape and rope that will keep it from billowing.

A couple links, google up more if you are going to make something or hit the on-line stores if you want to just buy and install.

http://www.happy-wanderers.com/technical-articles/94-aae-awning-lock

http://awninglock.com/index.shtml?utm_expid=1952912-2

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I had the billowing of my patio awning & like you it was on a windy day. I did some research and found out it was caused by the roller allowing the fabric to unfurl. There were web sites where a latch was installed on the awning arm and the bolt went into the roller. This stopped mine from unfurling in winds and the latch gives me peace of mind that the roller will not loose spring tension or allow the fabric to blow up in the wind. If yours is a big awning, after you get the tension adjusted, you may want to consider a latch for it. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

We have also had that happen on a very windy day. I wrapped some duct tape around the front end of the roller and awning and that stopped the problem - at least for that day.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Ok so I went online and looked up Carefree's slide toppers. I have the KoverII and the manual shows manual locks that keep it from billowing. I dont have those locks...gonna have to find some.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

The simplest solution I have hear of was a fellow that said in the extra hole on the right end of the awning roller, he takes his awning rod,

sticks the bent end in the hole of the roller,

then using straps,

he straps (in two places) the awning rod to the vertical stabilizer .support.

This keeps the horizontal roller from being able to turn.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

My awning has locks but not my slide toppers. I can forsee a huge issue if the toppers were locked and you ran the slides out ! My wildest guess is you lost tension for some reason because I have never seen someone unlock the toppers before putting slides out .. Check the end of your toppers where that shaft goes through the arm that holds the topper up...Look if there is a roll pin and if you may have sheared it off to where it may have spun just enough to lose some of the tension ?

edit :; You guys are confusing awnings with slide toppers JIMALBERTA is talking about slide toppers !

Jim Spence

Jim the manual addresses exactly that and they even show a sticker that should be placed over your slide switch warning you to not deploy the slides without releasing the slide locks or damage will occur.

These are older slide toppers from 2001 ....I'm wondering if I should get newer mechanisms.

Interesting Jim I just looked at my toppers and they do have the locks on them just like my awning but the only time they have given me problems is when I have them open and the wind blows like crazy.

Jim Spence

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this....apparently my slide toppers are " too old" and parts are not available any more. According to them I need to buy new toppers.....go figure. I am going to design and build my own automatic locking mechanism for these things.

Jimalberta, My slide toppper did the same in High side winds in California. I put a bungy cord around it to stop it from banging, Took the cord off and waited for the next time still waiting and my slide toppers still work after 9 years and many miles .

becknharry

Fulltimers Jan 2008

32ft Southwind 2005

Jeep Liberty 2006

Jimalberta, My slide toppper did the same in High side winds in California. I put a bungy cord around it to stop it from banging, Took the cord off and waited for the next time still waiting and my slide toppers still work after 9 years and many miles .

Thanks. I'm not sure how I would put a bungy cord around it though since the fabric is attached to the wall of the MH.

Happened to me once driving into a stiff wind off the front quarter. I did an "on road" repair by wrapping the leading edge of the topper and roller with duct tape. Have not had a similar problem since.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to me once driving into a stiff wind off the front quarter. I did an "on road" repair by wrapping the leading edge of the topper and roller with duct tape. Have not had a similar problem since.

Dennis is still trying to get duct tape off :huh: Jim hook bungee cords all the way around your trailer. That should help it stay together.. PS hook the bungees in the wheels :unsure::huh::P

Jim Spence

I have designed and built automatic locks that seem to work quite well. I have tested them and removed for final painting to match the MH. I will post some pictures soon.

so an update ....I took some pics of the locking device I made that automatically engages one of the cogs on the slide when the slide closes and releases again as soon as the slide starts to open.

post-26882-0-02511300-1430443145_thumb.jpg

post-26882-0-66734900-1430443179_thumb.jpg

Archived