Glider Chassis

wmbillh

Has anyone know about building a motorhome on a glidder chassis pre emission engine.I am guessing it would have to be a manual transmission,no electronics to get automated tranney to work.Probably a remanufactured Detroit series 60 425hp,reman.eaton 13sp.Not really knowing what rearend gears yet.We will be building unit to full time rv in,not pulling race cars.Im would quess the resale wouldn't be that great.Spec it out to keep it.Any info would be helpful.Thanks Bill.

Look at Fitzgerald's Glider Kits. They may be able to help.

https://www.fitzgeraldgliderkits.com/

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Or come to the ECR rally and talk to them in person on our field trip to their place!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

A glider kit takes any previous engine/transmission combination. The purpose of the kit was to allow a owner with a pre-2007 engine and get a anew chassis for it.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Don't resign yourself to a straight manual transmission so quickly. The Autoshift, FreedomLine, and even the early Ultrashift transmissions pre-dated the EPA04 engines. Despite the fact that they're now referred to as "pre-emission" engines, most heavy duty diesels from the mid-to-late '90s on had electronic controls to one extent or another (the programming of which resulted in the consent decree that, in turn, caused the EPA04 standards to be pulled ahead into the fourth quarter of 2002 for most engine manufacturers), many of which are capable of communicating with automated transmissions.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Gliders have always been the way to rebuild your old wreck. Only recently have they been the cool way around emissions and that kind of thing will kill all the fun. You guys are already FET exempt and 20K miles a year is hardly a blink in a 10 year old truck and, heck, is hardly even 2 regens or DEF tank fills on a new one. Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first in line should I have the cash, but the things badly suck from the teat for the first few months of their life. I'm at $5K and growing just from moving a stupid purple one around this week. Don't have all your cores and you'll pay, missing a few pipes or harnesses from your kit and you'll pay, just getting from dealer to shop and you'll pay, etc, etc. It takes quite the coordination so plan it real close.

Archived