Autoformers

rving4us

As soon as the house sales we are going full time in the RV. My question, How many of you use a Hughes Autoformer or equivalent? and do you feel it is absolutely necessary. I have a progressive industries surge and spike protector. I was just wondering if any of you found the need to have the power boosted very often.

Thanks,

Cary

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

When our old Autoformer died, we decided to go without since we didn't think we needed it often. Three campgrounds later the 50AMP voltage was dropping under 105 volts. We ordered a new one.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

We have enough solar panels to make it easy to simply disconnect from poor power and still run everything but the A/Cs. And if we need A/C that bad we can go somewhere else (or start the generator). We do have the Progressive Industries 50A EMS (the portable version) so that will protect our unit from under- or over-voltage issues by tripping off.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

We were in very few parks with low voltage where we needed an autoformer so we never bothered to buy or carry one, easier to just move to a better park

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

In 10 years of full timing and 1 year of snow birding we were only in one park where an autoformer would have been helpful to have.

That was in Clifton CO at the RV Ranch RV park in a record setting hot summer. The park was built many years ago and the 30 amp service was not up to modern RV usage. I ended up using my 50 amp to 30 amp pigtail so I could use one leg of the 50 amp receptacle. The 50 amp wiring was added much later and when everyone turned their ACs on the voltage didn't droop nearly as badly as the 30 amp.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

While caring for elderly parents we spent a few months in an older park with low voltage. The voltage would often drop to between 100 and 105. I purchased a 50 amp Autoformer for use while there, and it solved the problem. That's the only time in 16 years of full timing I have needed one.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

We volunteer a lot in parks and church camps. We use Passport America while traveling from one volunteer job to another. Some of these parks tend to be older parks and sometimes seem to have low voltage. I have had my Hughes A.F. for several years and it has been helpful in many of these instances.

This is just one other thing I don't have to worry about.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

I have two kitty's and they need ac during the summer. My surge guard makes it possible when the power is low. An alternative is a hybrid inverter and solar system

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

I have used a Hughes(OK) a Frank's(Junk) and now a PowerMaster(Best) in my over 15 years of Full Time.

I do have it mounted in the same compartment with a 30 AMP TRC surge protector with the Low/High cut off.

Even at my winter spot with usualy good 120-122V.

When my rear AC come on dropping it down to 111V and then I turn the micro on in will dip to 108V.

PowerMaster cuts in and V jump up to 110V.

It helps when at older campgrounds in the summer. And everyone is running a AC pulling Volts down to the 110-105V range.

And my Volt monitor starts to alarm. Even with the autoformer it helps to turn off the electric water heater and switch to gas or the frig to gas.

I wouldn't be without my autoformer. And I recommend a Digital monitor

Anyone without one may not know if they need a autoformer or not at any campground.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We were in two parks where we know the Hughes helped us. I have no other idea how many other parks we were in where it helped us without us knowing.

Ours was toasted on our trip to Alaska last year. I have not replaced it yet, as I'm stubborn and want to see if the interior damage is as bad as it looks.

We're traveling now with TRC, and so far so good. We do have a robust battery bank and solar panel system, so still have not decided if I will replace the Hughes if it really is unrepairable (Indications are that it will not be fixable.) If we do, I will probably go with the mentioned PowerMaster. Or, may just wait and see if another older version of the Hughes pop's up for sale used somewhere. That is how we got out last unit, and it was a good buy for us.

No right or wrong on this. Do always have adequate protection for you electric hook up, IMO, that is a must have. If you have a high level of need to always assure power under adverse/fragile/older park systems - the Autoformer's do the job and can make a difference.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

We started full-timing 4 years ago . By the middle of the second summer we had a Hughes and wouldn't even think about not having one . We also use Progressive Ind. protection . Appliances are just too expensive to have to replace .

Where ever we 'camp' , folks ask what that grey box is . Generally , they say they want the info for getting one for themselves .

Goes around , comes around .

I have a 30 amp version and used it some in a few campgrounds. I never did get a 50 amp version when I moved to a 50 amp RV. I have not found that 50 amp service generally has low voltage. I'm quite sure that some do, but none I have encountered.

IF I encountered a low voltage service I'd likely just run off my inverter and charge simultaneously with my converter (I have both methods of charging available to me). With my solar and converter I have more than enough charge capability. And the converter does not "care" about low voltage - it trucks along fine at even 90 volts.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We had the Hughes a few years ago but with the improvemnets in C.G power we found litle use for it and sold it while we could still get a few bucks for it.We do have the PT 50C.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We've had our Autoformer for over 15 years. We don't use it a lot but it sure makes life easier when you get into a park where the plug ins aren't up to snuff. We found some supposedly "good" parks in Florida this winter sure had bad power and our AF saved us. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

IF I encountered a low voltage service I'd likely just run off my inverter and charge simultaneously with my converter (I have both methods of charging available to me)..... ....And the converter does not "care" about low voltage - it trucks along fine at even 90 volts.

This makes sense. The charger would probably not be providing full rated output on reduced line voltage but enough to keep the batteries charged as long as you aren't running electric heaters off the inverter or something.

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

This makes sense. The charger would probably not be providing full rated output on reduced line voltage but enough to keep the batteries charged as long as you aren't running electric heaters off the inverter or something.

Or ACs -- which I've found is typically when an autoformer is needed.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived