Emergency Vet locater

Bill B

Does anyone have a good android app for finding an emergency vet?

The one that I found - US Vet locater - has a bunch of other stuff and requires you to know the zip code your in. I was kinda looking for a GPS enabled app that as we travel, cause things can happen quick.

Thanx

Having just dealt with this at 4:00AM this morning, and a few times before; I just do a Google search for 24hr veterinarian in XX. The results include a map and even ratings for some. If it is during the day, I have asked the campground owner/staff for a recommendation.

Good site Rick - This is falling under the:

A friend had a dog in distress. We have a vet for Michigan (home until it sells) and southern Texas (winter). That caused me to start looking for a "Find a Vet" app. Probably something on the order of Gas Buddy or the equiv.

As it turns out, the dog went to the local vet here in Mission, Tx, and has a case of the Texas Crunge. Basically, nose to nose contact with another dog, upper respraory infection.

...we get our Leo a shot that prevents that...

The vaccine is not always 100% effective. My experience today is proof of that. The dog which is only 1 year old was actually given the vaccine twice, the last time in August 2014. The vet diagnosed him with an upper respiratory infection. According to this Vet, there are a number of bacteria and viruses that cause what is commonly referred to as kennel cough. The vaccine is produced for the most common ones and some years just like the human flu vaccine is more effective than others. She said that this winter she is seeing more cases in dogs that have received the vaccine than usual.

You might check for a Blue Pearl they have locations in many states. http://bluepearlvet.com

It's not an app.

Am I missing something, in the link? The locator shows less than 50 locations in 16 states. The ExpertVet link on their site lists 16 locations some of which are duplicates of their list.

There was a somewhat similar discussion about the Banfield Veterinary Services that are often co-located with PetSmart stores.

I think the utility of such chain services may depend on how much and where you travel. Neither of these chains have locations near the last 4 places before yesterday that we have needed emergency veterinary services while on the road (Charles City, IA; Emporia, KS; Taos, NM; West Yellowstone, MT). In each of these 4 cases, we got recommendations from local residents and campground staff and were very pleased with the services that our pet received.

Am I missing something, in the link? The locator shows less than 50 locations in 16 states. The ExpertVet link on their site lists 16 locations some of which are duplicates of their list.

There was a somewhat similar discussion about the Banfield Veterinary Services that are often co-located with PetSmart stores.

I think the utility of such chain services may depend on how much and where you travel. Neither of these chains have locations near the last 4 places before yesterday that we have needed emergency veterinary services while on the road (Charles City, IA; Emporia, KS; Taos, NM; West Yellowstone, MT). In each of these 4 cases, we got recommendations from local residents and campground staff and were very pleased with the services that our pet received.

No your not missing anything. It was the just a suggestion.

Archived