Fuel prices in some states are far more than most............

Kirk W

We have been on the road now since March 2 and have traveled from east Texas to Escapade, then on to Yucaipa, CA and now are starting to migrate back to the east and have some interesting observations about fuel prices.

In Lindale, TX the unleaded is $2.11 & diesel is $2.49

In El Paso, TX .... unleaded is $2.01 & diesel is $2.47

In Deming, NM..... unleaded is $2.07 & diesel is $2.69

In Tucson, AZ.. unleaded is $2.11 & diesel is $2.41

In Quartzsite, AZ unleaded is $2.39 & diesel is $2.49

In Blythe, CA unleaded is $3.39 & diesel is $3.39

In Yucaipa, CA unleaded is $3.05 & diesel at $2.79 (I paid $3.35 for unleaded just 24 hours ago.)

It is interesting to me to note the price diesel seems to be unaffected by the CA fuel laws. Must be that they burn the same diesel, while I know that they require a gasoline blend which is unique to CA. I was warned to fuel in Quartzsite before entering CA and that certainly is true, to the tune of about a dollar per gallon!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Interesting. Here in the Las Vegas area I'm seeing gas prices at $2.59 and Diesel at $2.89 and there abouts.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Fueled up yesterday in Lynchburg, VA Sam's Club for $2.50/gallon (diesel).

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

CA's government imposed an additional 20 cents per gallon tax that went into effect when prices were at their lowest at the beginning of this year, so there was little or no public outcry.

That plus CA being a gas island unable to import gasoline from refineries in other states, and it's own refineries running flat out to meet demand explains the wildly higher prices here. The smallest glitch in the supply chain creates a mini-shortage, inflating prices further. The most recent spike was due to the normal annual refinery shutdowns to change from winter to summer gas and will likely be repeated this fall when the process is reversed.

Then there's transportation costs. Since all gas sold in CA has to come from in-state refineries, Blythe and Needles are about as far as you can get from them and still be in CA, so they have the highest transportation costs to get fuel their stations. The difference is especially dramatic when compared to the nearby Arizona prices.

Diesel. Fueled yesterday at Safeway in East Wenatchee, Washington. Had a $.40/gal discount for the first 25 gals, then back up to regular cash price of $2.99.

This is not reflective of the rest of eastern Washington as the greater Wenatchee area tends to be significantly higher (Seattle influence).

And our state wants to raise the tax on fuel even more - sure, why not, the prices are so low. I swear the reps have the memory of a gnat. They don't seem to recall a whole different story just last year at $4.00/gal

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

Fueled the pickup truck Saturday at $2.69/gallon for diesel in George, WA (about 140 miles east of Seattle on I-90). Just checked on GasBuddy and the price is now $2.60 for diesel and $2.21 for regular gasoline.

This is the cheapest place to fuel (by far) along I-90 until you get to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho (where regular is $2.17).

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

It would be helpful to have dates on these prices. Prices here in Minnesota go up and down all the time--sometimes several times in one week. So, the travel time between these locations could also be having an impact on the prices.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Tucson, Az. has gas at $2.17 (cash or credit) in many stations, but have seen some at $2.39. Why? I guess it still pays to check around before filling up. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

In a couple weeks we will be in California visiting family. We will top off in Arizona before we enter, but will have to get diesel for the motorhome and unleaded for the car in California sometime. We can't make it to Oregon with our tank capacities.

In a year we might be transporting water for our family, since California is running out.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

It would be helpful to have dates on these prices. Prices here in Minnesota go up and down all the time--sometimes several times in one week. So, the travel time between these locations could also be having an impact on the prices.

Use GasBuddy for the most up to date prices in your area or even up the road in a days drive on your PC.

Or download a app for your smart phone.

Within 10 miles of where I am. There are 50 gas stations on GasBuddy.

Price for reg gas ranges from $2.34 to $2.69. Biggest percent of them are in the $2.39-$2.53 range.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

With oil at 48.80 Contract date May 15 it should be going down. Oil has been low for some time but the price at the pump does not reflect that . When OIl was over 100.00 per BBl it was 20 /30 cents higher than now.Lot of profit taking going on.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Easy folks gas in CA for the most part is not that bad. I live in the Bay Area and unleaded is $3.05 and Diesel is $3.19. It does have a wide range so definitely use Gas Buddy. So you buy a 100 gallons of diesel passing through to Oregon. So that will cost what? an extra $50. Stop on by my place, I'll plop a couple of steaks on the grill and pop a couple of beers. The weather is absolutely gorgeous right now.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

Today unleaded was $1.999 at the Flying J and Pilot in Anthony TX, at the NM border between El Paso and Las Cruces on I-10. We filled our DP with diesel at the Texaco in Vado NM at $2.359 with credit, which is between the TX/NM border and Las Cruces on I-10.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

What we find when we travel is certain areas seem to "price fix" gas and diesel prices. In the Knoxville, TN metro area last week, diesel price was $2.75 a gallon no matter where you went. Gasoline pricing was also the same price across the market. The lack of competition makes everyone more money. Where we live in Northern Mississippi, fuel pricing varies greatly.

Here in this tourist area Disney world, Universal, etc fuel has always been higher close to the attractions.Most tourist do not stray far from the attractions when here.We are just a few miles away from the prime tourist areas and the prices are lower Depends on the area you may be in..

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Let me +1 Biker56's post: GasBuddy is your friend!

I use GasBuddy a lot, even though we have a 100 gallon fuel tank I try to mitigate high fuel prices as much as I can. If I'm running low and have no choice but to fuel up in a high price area I add enough fuel (plus a safety margin) to get me to the next low-price area. Sometimes the price differentials are enormous. I've seen prices that vary $1 per gallon in 300 miles (Seattle to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, for instance). This is where having a larger fuel tank can have big returns. We RVed extensively in a 5th wheel towed by a pickup truck that had a 35-gallon tank and it was much more expensive.

Similarly, when fuel prices are dropping I do not fill up but add what I think I'll need. This theory is that the next time I fuel the prices will be lower. (This theory assumes my time is worth nothing, by the way.)

When fuel prices are climbing I top off the tanks because the next time will likely be more expensive.

The combination of GasBuddy and good map app (with satellite view) can easily save you the price of a dinner in a good restaurant. (Or pay for your monthly smartphone bill!)

I look at it as a game of wits between me and the oil industry. :P

WDR

1993 Foretravel U225 with Pacbrake and 5.9 Cummins with Banks

1999 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift and 33" tires

Raspberry Pi Coach Computer

Ham Radio

$2.09 for regular at Ft Chiswell, VA Flying J today. Most other stations in the area are the same price or a few cents higher, none lower.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Filled up in Shelby, Mt diesel $2.65. Here in Alberta diesel is $1.13 / liter or close to $4.50/gallon.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived