No 2015 Honda Dinghy?

aunut

Maybe Honda is going with the new transmission that doesn't allow towing 4-down? (I've forgotten the name, but I'm sure someone here will know). I believe this is going to become more and more common and, soon, there won't be any new vehicles capable of being towed 4-down. :mellow:

You can also check with Remco Towing (www.remcotowing.com) to see if a car you're interested in towing is capable of being towed 4-down. The only autos that appear in Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guides are those that are approved by the manufacturer for being towed that way...that doesn't necessarily mean they *can't* be towed 4-down.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Guess all of us owning those older towables need to care for them. Maybe our 05 Element may be getting !more valuable

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Many 4X4's are easily towable.

There are also plenty of GM towables, both front-wheel and all-wheel drive. There simply aren't any new Hondas. Glad I have my 2014 CR-V! :D

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

The Honda Fit manual transmission is still towable 4 -down, the only one left in 2015 models. The CRV 2014 is still towable, but the CVT transmission is making more vehicles unsuitable.

If that's correct(and I believe you), then why didn't they at least have it listed as towable with manual trans? They showed zero Hondas towable.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

If you are referring to the Dingy Guide, they do not list it as it is a new model. They made them prior to 2014, but did not produce them in 2014 for a total revision. I just purchased one and confirmed that it was towable 4 down in the owners manual, the manual is towable behind a motor home but the auto is not. Before purchase, I also confirmed with Corporate Honda and Blue Ox who confirmed it is towable. Only one in the Honda line left. As others indicated, there still are a number of others that can be towed four down, but I was responding to the op and specifically the Honda line. I have seen three other 2015's being towed by other motor homes as well. Not certain why they do not have them listed, Remco said they did not have current info on them as yet. The Corolla is featured all over the Dingy Guide, but the manual is the only one that can be flat towed now according to Toyota Corporate.

Jim

If you are referring to the Dingy Guide, they do not list it as it is a new model. They made them prior to 2014, but did not produce them in 2014 for a total revision. I just purchased one and confirmed that it was towable 4 down in the owners manual, the manual is towable behind a motor home but the auto is not. Before purchase, I also confirmed with Corporate Honda and Blue Ox who confirmed it is towable. Only one in the Honda line left. As others indicated, there still are a number of others that can be towed four down, but I was responding to the op and specifically the Honda line. I have seen three other 2015's being towed by other motor homes as well. Not certain why they do not have them listed, Remco said they did not have current info on them as yet. The Corolla is featured all over the Dingy Guide, but the manual is the only one that can be flat towed now according to Toyota Corporate.

We did that with our '05 Odyssey. Got it in writing on Honda letterhead. A few months later we started seeing posts about Honda changing their mind. After some words with Honda legal and OR and CA Autorneys General, Honda paid us about $2,200 and we bought a dolly. Towed it on the dolly until 2010 or so and went back to four down. Never had a problem and still don't.

2009 45' Country Coach Magna 630 Cummins ISX 650/1950

Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA f47302s, SKP 118205
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life & Golden Eagle

We're about to get a new Subaru Forester. They no longer make a manual transmission for the Outback, which is what we wanted. We're having to wait until mid-April because there weren't any manual transmission Foresters to be found in an around Arizona. We're getting one that the dealer ordered previously, but we didn't realize it would be that hard to find. We have to drive back to Arizona to get it.

We just visited some family friends in New Mexico that have the 2015 CRV Touring. What a big improvement over out 2007 CRV AWD EXL! Don't get me wrong, we have been served well by our CRV, dang thing runs very well. But Honda was very careful with the first year of this I think 3rd generation CRV - to not let it get too close to their then also new Acura RDX. Wind and road noise, no blue tooth, and to uncomfortable seats. (Our daughter really complained about the rear bench, and after my wife spent a few hours in the backseat - she too was underwhelmed. The front seats are probably great for people a bit shorter then my wife and I, but really lack in lumbar support.

The 2015 CRV Touring, had very comfortable seats, a much improved interior quality look and feel, more high tech items then you could imagine (adaptive cruise control, keep you in hour lane assist, side mirror camera with three markings for OK to come back in after passing, driver and passenger temperature controls, two driver seat/mirror position memory, far better stereo, etc., etc. The wife was in the back seat, and while only a 45 min drive, noted how much more comfortable it was. Heck, I even liked the neat looking chrome and black wheels rims on this Touring model.

The gent who bought it, says it has the Accords bigger 2.4 engine, and with the CVT he's getting 27 MPG around town, and his best highway trip MPG has been 35 MPG at 75 MPH driving. It's his second Honda with a CVT, and he is used to it. It sound and felt a bit strange to me, especially when accelerating to pass while at speed - but assume you get used to the difference of the CVT.

A shame it is no longer towable, and yes the CVT is the reason, and yes for the broader market where towing behind RV's is not a factor - seems to be a good move by Honda.

We're in a two year planning to change out our Toad window now. And I'm waiting to see how the new F150 Coors Can made frame holds up in the real world:)! (Kidding, as the frame seems to be engineered to provide more safety, strength, at lighter weight. I have not doubt it will be a good truck.) With the EcoBoast, and 4X4, Extended Cab and with a Shell - my wife and I think this may work well for us. A bit more room for while traveling and storing items in the back of the truck. We like the higher sitting while driving. The 4X4 will give us a bit more ability then the AWD of the Honda, along with higher ground clearance.

Our close second, and we'll go drive them when the time comes, is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Many of the same reasons as above about more room, height clearance an 4X4 capability. Plus, I have a 2008 2wd F150 with only 6.5K Miles on it, as we'll always have a truck for around the home usage. Even looked into adding an electronic locking rear differential to this truck, and the drive shaft disconnect. Figured the locking differential would support us well 95+ % of the time.

While, I did go on again... Mostly contrasting on the major upgrade of the new Touring CRV over the earlier CRV's. And yes, the 2014 CRV's area also an improvement over the 2007 too - not sure if they have improved seats or not?

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

The 2014 CR-V lacks the fancy electronics (adaptive cruise control, lane assist, etc) but it does have a superb Bluetooth system. Links to both phones reliably; even reads your text messages to you and has canned answers you can send back while you're driving. We have the EX-L model and I think the power driver's seat is pretty comfortable; not the best I've ever sat in but not bad either. I can't say I've ever tried the rear seat. Road noise is higher than desired, but not objectionable and wind noise is not a concern. We get ~25-27 in a mix of suburban driving which is quite satisfactory to us.

As much as I would have liked some of the new features of the 2015, since it isn't flat towable I don't regret having a 2014. With Honda's AWD system, the vehicle can't be dollied so the only way to tow it would be on a trailer. That wouldn't have worked for us. We probably would have gone with an Equinox, since we had decided that the 4 cylinder Cherokee was underpowered and we didn't want the gas mileage penalty of the 6.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Guess all of us owning those older towables need to care for them. Maybe our 05 Element may be getting !more valuable

Us too, we are investing a bit more money in our 95 Jeep to keep it fit to tow for several more years.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There's really no shortage of vehicles, with automatics, that are flat towable. They may not be the ones you would like to own, but there are quite a few GM products that can be towed in both all-wheel and front-wheel drive and this is NOT including 4x4's with transfer cases with neutral positions. Once you add 4x4's to the mix, both from GM and Jeep, there really is no shortage of available toads. We may lament the passage of the CR-V, but it's not really a big deal issue for MH owners.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

There's really no shortage of vehicles, with automatics, that are flat towable.

In addition, there are many more which can be easily modified to tow with the help of equipment from REMCO or someone like them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As much as I would have liked some of the new features of the 2015, since it isn't flat towable I don't regret having a 2014. With Honda's AWD system, the vehicle can't be dollied so the only way to tow it would be on a trailer. That wouldn't have worked for us. We probably would have gone with an Equinox, since we had decided that the 4 cylinder Cherokee was underpowered and we didn't want the gas mileage penalty of the 6.

We have been happy with our 2012 AWD 4-cylinder Equinox as a replacement for a 2002 AWD 4-cylinder CRV that we wore out. At the time I was surprised my wife chose the Equinox over the 2012 CRV.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

There's really no shortage of vehicles, with automatics, that are flat towable. They may not be the ones you would like to own, but there are quite a few GM products that can be towed in both all-wheel and front-wheel drive and this is NOT including 4x4's with transfer cases with neutral positions. Once you add 4x4's to the mix, both from GM and Jeep, there really is no shortage of available toads. We may lament the passage of the CR-V, but it's not really a big deal issue for MH owners.

Hi Joel

There is a severe shortage of $25-35K SUVS with any transmission except manual that are flat towable.

I don't think there are ANY with the CRV features.

Dave O

Hi Joel

There is a severe shortage of $25-35K SUVS with any transmission except manual that are flat towable.

I don't think there are ANY with the CRV features.

Dave O

Dave:

You may disagree, but I'm with Bill Joyce on this that the Equinox/Terrain would be a perfectly acceptable (to us) substitute for the CR-V. It was a close runner up in our selection process. Also, many Jeep Cherokees with automatics can be towed, depending on which transfer case they use.

It's not as if there are so many models of towable vehicle to choose from, but there were lots of used Equinox's available if one wanted to buy a used one. Don't get me wrong, we love our CR-V, but I don't think it is so very unique that there aren't acceptable alternatives. JMO.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Hi Joel

Last time I looked at the Terrain, it was considerable more than $35K with the same features (if avail at all) than the CRV.

After looking a lot at both new cars and our bank account, we have decided to keep our 2002 CRV with 130K miles until it dies.

At that time I think our best bet will be a used 2014 CRV EX-L. Many reasons for the EX-L, but the most important is Marie likes the

lumbar support.

If that won't work the backup plan based on our present limited traveling style we will look into a 2015 CRV Touring or Nissan Rogue SV or SL and a dolly.

Dolly was not acceptable when we made many short trips and moved every few days, but now it is move and stay week(s) before moving again.

Dave O

Dave O: I guess you want high end features. Our Equinox is an LT1 and both our old CRV and the Equinox are automatics and 4-cylinder. If you insist on a 6-cylinder LTZ, then it is more expensive.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Last time I looked at the Terrain, it was considerable more than $35K with the same features (if avail at all) than the CRV.

A 2015 AWD Terrain SLT2 (which is a pretty fancy model) has an MSRP of only $35,740 and an invoice price of $33,999. The only Terrain that is significantly higher than $35k is the Denali and I think it has a bunch of electronics features that weren't available on the 2014 CR-V.

We have a AWD 2014 CR-V EX-L and have enjoyed it immensely. The EX-L has climate control and heated outside mirrors, which are a great convenience when you spend a lot of time near the seashore and find your mirrors and windows coated with heavy dew most mornings.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Archived