What do you use for Battery Boxes?

Good Mornin Pebble man.

You ask " Do I still need a nose to the outside?"

My honest answer I DONT KNOW I'm NOT an AGM Battery designer or engineer or expert in any way, maybe some here are, and if so listen to them over me.

THAT BEING SAID (Engineers and Attorneys love disclaimers lol) if it were me YES I would want some method to vent heat and/or any possible charging by products or gasses (in case of a serious charger malfunction) to the outside ambient surroundings REGARDLESS what anyone here or even an AGM engineer or expert has to say. My motto rather be safe then sorry (within reason, of course).

Sure, you may be fine without it, but if you look at the time and cost and factor in the possibility of a serious charger malfunction and are willing to risk your vehicle or possibly a life, then don't vent. Its your money your vehicle your risk not ours so its your call. I know a person cant reduce all risks in life and has to use reason so I'm ONLY SAYING if it were me and ESPECIALLY considering high temps that may develop in the vehicle I'd vent the heat and any possible (even if remote chance) charging by products outside the vehicle.

See what an AGM expert or engineer or designer might have to say, and if you're willing to bet on it, then so be it. YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BE FINE but Id just feel better venting AT LEAST THE HEAT even if there's no risk of charging by products causing a problem.

John T NOT an AGM expert or design engineer, so no warranty, this may be wrong BUT STILL HOW I WOULD DO IT REGARDLESS

Like John, I'd vent it if I could reasonable do so. But probably 10's of thousands of battery banks of AGM batteries are not vented and operate fine. But I'd still vent if I could. It is for sure a tradeoff on convenience/cost/aggravation.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

So, speak to me from an AGM only point of view. Do I still need a nose to the outside?

Jerry

For your specific application, I don't think having to cut through your hardtop would be reasonable. You should be fine with your lifelines as long as they have a free flow of air. Meaning.. no sealed enclosures. As Jack mentioned, there are 1000's of folks using AGM's in enclosed spaces without incident. Venting is always a good idea, but sometimes it just isn't practical and not "necessary" for AGM's.

Archived