Air brakes on rv trailers?

noteven

I come across this response from a commercial carrier posted on a commercial trucking forum to a question about HDT's / brakes and RV trailers ...

"I have pulled a few RVs for the Ringling Bros Circus that had air brakes... "

Is it even possible to live the rv towing life without damnphool electric brakes :o ?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

My brakes are electrically activated hydraulic disc brakes. I think that once you reach a certain weight that most of your heavier trailers probably get away from electric brakes and go to hydraulic, although you still have an electric brake controller to activate the brakes.There are also several people on this forum that have air actuated, hydraulic brakes like the BluDot system.

Many custom RV and/or converted commercial-to-RV trailers very likely have genuine air brakes.

I wouldn't buy a trailer with "electric" brakes.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

As others have said, it is fairly common to use the air system on our trucks to actuate the hydraulic brakes in the trailer. The BluDot system is an air/hydraulic system that takes advantage of the existing truck brake system. It is an actuator - NOT air brakes. The trailer has conventional RV hydraulic brakes. The BluDot system converts the air signals from the truck to hydraulic pressure in the trailer.

The presentation I used to do at the HDT Rally is HERE.

The "air brakes" that are on many of the "Carnival trailers" are actually air brakes, since many of those trailers are actually converted semi-trailers. Companies such as Spacecraft commonly build semi-trailer RVs that have all of the same systems on them as a conventional semi-trailer. That is a different system than the Bludot.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Bill B, been looking for a 10k# air brake axle, maybe the MATS show will have some info in that area.

The show is too big to get into everything but a list of 5 or 6 things may be doable, this subject is one of mine.

Am sure we will post what we find.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

Forks RV just built a custom rig for one of the Teton Club International members which has air brakes that operate off of the trucks air. The owner says they work very well on the 27K rig behind his Peterbilt truck. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Jay, did they build him a semi-chassis coach, or did they adapt one of their conventional frames to the commercial running gear?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jack, it is built on what they call a Low Boy frame. it only has one step inside between the rear living area and the front bedroom area. I think it is still a frame they custom build rather than something they repurpose. For more detail it is on their website and Jay Troyer at Forks can probably explain it far better than I can. From conversation with the owner I believe the brakes are S-cam air drum brakes like on commercial trailers. The owner says he lost some storage in the basement area because of the Low Boy frame but gains storage inside the rig. I think his rig is about the same height as ours looking at it.(13-6). Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Further googling turned up a 10000 lbs Dexter air brake axle. I'm going to contact Dexter when I get time and report back.

It should be doable with 17.5in wheels...

edit: This Dexter Catalogue shows 10K air brakes available on this series of axles - page 23.

Also available with spring brake chambers - (these would be required when doing any retrofit where we live, I would also add ABS module) - & bonus! proper parking brakes woo hoo...

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/9-15K_Catalog/9-15K_Complete_Catalog.pdf

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived