Dog attacks

Retiredin1993

I've seldom seen a bad dog, can't say that about owners.

I can't speak for any one else, but for me, I have one pointer (English Setter) and two flushers (English Springer Spaniels). This combination of bird dogs can really terrorizes the desert bird community. The setter, sticks her noise in the air and starts to stalk up wind, sniffing for the slightest scent of a bird. She turns into a doggy radar, with her head moving left to right adjusting for the changing wind conditions.

The spaniels are like crazy banshees. They ziz zag back and forth on a "mission." Their nose is about one inch of off the ground and they are running at full speed. I never figured out how they keep from tearing up their nose on the rocks. When they approach a rock, their nose simply lifts up, just enough to clear the rock. Amazing to watch!

And, then . . . and then . . . finally a bird is chased into the air. I raise my 60 year old, side by side, 16 ga. I lead the bird and pull the trigger. And, then . . . And, then . . . I miss once again. The pups are pzzed off at me. But, they are forgiving and the chase starts all over again.

Sometimes, although this is frowned upon by serious bird dog aficionados, I let my pups chase a jack rabbit. The smaller Flusher, Sadie, is the only one with the speed and agility to catch one.

So, this is why I have three dogs.

Some day, I am going to make it to the Dakotas and terrorize the pheasant community. They are a lot bigger and slower than quail and chukar. Maybe I will be able to hit one. :)

Slower_perhaps, but the initial sound can make a seasoned bird hunter pause just long enough to miss.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rescue and rehome. My three Chihuahuas, all seniors now, I rescued from puppy mills around 2008 from all over the country and they were just too messed up emotionally to be rehomed. The Doberman that I just turned over to Saving Dobermankind was beaten and starved and I was only supposed to foster him over night but he needed a lot of time and attention to get him socialized. Since I was retired and had the time, I took him on then fell in love with him. He was more than I could handle at 89 lbs - he dragged me down and tore my meniscus - so he needs to be with someone that can handle him. And my Pibble was dumped in a dog park in Westminster, CO after weaning a litter of puppies. I tried to find her owner - I assumed she'd been stolen because she was in such good shape and so clean - but I couldn't find out anything and now I've had her a year and wouldn't give her up for anything. AND I had a 3-legged whippet/Chihuahua mix that had been hit by a car in L.A. and put back together by a doctor in Santa Fe. He had lived at the pound after being rescued and having his surgeries - he needed to get out of there - so I took him. My doctor in ABQ adopted him. So I was traveling with six dogs for a while. Now I'm down to four. The Chihuahuas will die off naturally and the Pibble will be with me until the end too. Heck, she might even outlive me.

Beverley Hughes

"Molly Marine" USMC Veteran

FT since December 2006

2011 Rockwood Ultralite TT

2014 Chevy Silverado

Traveling with Skye, Gracie, Angel and Peaches

I can't figure it out.........I've heard of people dragging along 2 or 3 dogs and 3 to 4 cats all at once, WHY?????

A partial explanation: When we retired, and went full time, we had two retired racing Greyhounds (65 pounds each) and a Belgian Malanois (105 Pounds) in our house. We put them and three adult humans in a 27 foot trailer and hit the road. Tight? You bet.

But we feel that being a caretaker for an animal is a lifetime commitment. Dropping them off a shelter, or finding another home, just because they are "inconvenient" is not in our vocabulary.

As those beloved pets passed on, we did "downsize" to a Chihuahua mix, (10 pounds) and A Catahoula mix. (38 pounds)

So some you may see some "dragging" along 2 or three pets because that is the best, and only solution.

Why take 2 or three dogs weekend camping? We did so because they LOVED camping. When preparing the camper, the day before, where it was stored in the back yard, the dogs would get inside and resist getting out!

IMHO Dogs love camping because they get to be with their humans (pack) 24/7 and usually go for lots of walks while camping. That is something that often does not happen when the owners are working.

Hope this helps you understand better "why," although you need not agree with taking the dogs/pets.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

Why more than one? Because sometimes you come across an animal that needs you. We started with just a lab...the planned dog. But Baby needed to be rescued and she's still dealing with a lot of issues, both behavior and medical, because of the abuse she went through. Trish also needed to be rescued. She wasn't abused as Baby but she wasn't wanted where she was. We could take care of her, so we took her in. She too has some behavioral issues. But.... they are all good dogs. They are quiet and don't bark at others at camp sites. They walk nicely on their leashes and wait patiently for us to clean up. They run like banshees when we find an off leash place that's safe for them to run, but behave and are calm when it's back into the RV. A few short years ago, two of these dogs couldn't do that. Now they are slowly healing and behaving well. If we find the perfect home for one of them, we will rehome them, but in the meanwhile they're part of our pack and we all enjoy being togther.

Traveling with Shadow and his rubber chicken.

Archived