First Trip...first challenge

jtl2

We picked up our reflection 313rlts this weekend and we had decided to try it out Saturday night. Everything went great until packing up this morning (Sunday). The big kitchen/entertainment super slide (Schwintek) wouldn't retract all the way. It would move about a foot and then quit. Tried it several times and wouldn't retract beyond that point. Trailer was level so that wasn't the problem. Did the electronic over-ride on the controller and the slide made it all the way in Thank Goodness...would have been a real pain on our maiden voyage.

post-49925-0-47511700-1427062364_thumb.jpg

I would definitely check with the dealer about that glitch. After all you can't drive down the road in that condition. I saw a coach try it and fortunately for him he was pulled over by the police shortly after he got to the road. Otherwise he might have wiped out his whole slide.

Don't under estimate what Stanley says about pressure. One day open a window up and hang a shirt in front of it. Watch that shirt while you are moving the slide in or out. You may be amazed at how much air is moved. We always had issues with out large kitchen slide until I started to leave a window open.

regards

Ears pop? Usually not but it can be enough that when you put out a big slide on a tightly sealed rig that you can lift the slide off the rollers and take a big chunk out of your pretty new wood floor like we did.

Opening a roof vent is probably enough for most rigs and slides, try that and see just how much air is sucked in when putting the slide out. For us that was still a bit too restrictive but we had a huge slide in our custom fiver, we went with just leaving the door open as the easy solution.

Were you camping with hook-ups? If not, the battery(ies) charge probably dropped too low causing the slide motors to draw too much current.

Lenp

Yes, the power cable was still hooked up. Looking at the Schwintek the controller board synchronizes the motors unless you over ride. Noticed when I did the over ride that one side stopped and the other still moved in a couple of inches. Some reason they were out of sync, which I will have to get checked out by the dealer.

I can believe the air movement. The trailer door was open, but when that big slide moves there is definitely a lot of air movement.

John

Ears pop? Usually not but it can be enough that when you put out a big slide on a tightly sealed rig that you can lift the slide off the rollers and take a big chunk out of your pretty new wood floor like we did.

Opening a roof vent is probably enough for most rigs and slides, try that and see just how much air is sucked in when putting the slide out. For us that was still a bit too restrictive but we had a huge slide in our custom fiver, we went with just leaving the door open as the easy solution.

Be interesting to use a manometer to see....Bet you could see a difference I mean, your reducing volume a lot.

Thank you Stanley and Bruce for the tip on the air pressure. Had no idea, and light bulb went on with both of us. Hubby just said, we'll be sure to do that from now on with window or door left open. Learn so much from you guys all the time :) Makes sense as we've had problems with our bigger Living Room slide on occasion. Thanks again.

Yes thanks from me as well. A light bulb just went off as I was reading this. My MH door sometimes closes easy and other times I have to slam it hard and now I'm thinking ...no window or vent open = hard to close door...gonna have to do more checking on this.

Its always something. Just tonight the wife was watching TV and I went to the rear of the MH and turned on a flourescent light in the shower area...tv goes all pixelly and no sound.....wife's voice volume went up. Turned off light and TV is back to normal and wife's volume dropped.

Yup. I learn a lot from you guys also. Today I learned that I don't want a slide on the B+ we are shopping for. I wouldn't sleep well wondering if the slide would retract in the morning. Had the same issue on our original pop-up after the first time the bed wouldn't slide in. People like me need to keep it simpler I guess. Or do others stress about slides too?

I took the 10 minute class on slides at the factory and learned about the quick method do do it electrically if the switch was acting up, the manual method using the built-in manual pump if the electrics or motor were shot and the last resort method of moving a hose to a second port and pushing the slide in by hand. Sadly over the course of seven years with the rig the wall switch never failed to run the slide in or out and my training went to waste.

I can't imagine passing up a living room slide on a new rig, the width that gives you is almost essential to keep from having my too-tall body blocking the space and having my naps disturbed to let the wife past.

A kitchen slide or bedroom slide are of questionable value to me, the kitchen adds lots of possibilities for issues with the plumbing and such and for the bedroom, I hate having to sleep in a little ball because the end of the bed is under a counter. Our last rig had an extra long queen mattress (set front to back) and plenty of room to get around it with no slide.

90% of our DP issues were with slides. If you ever wonder about slides I would suggest visiting the HWH factory. RV's lined up waiting for fixing everywhere.

We had a large kitchen/lounge slide that never did work properly. It was a Country Coach. Well we took it to HWH. They told us our slide was way over engineered and anything that could go wrong would go wrong. Well they got that sucker working for us. Next night up the road the darn bedroom slide failed. Yes it failed with it out. Lots of naughty words and an hour later I had only moved it an inch in. A phone call to HWH and 2 minutes later the slide was in and we were on our way back to them. By pure chance the bedroom slide sheared a bolt. Couldn't have happened at a better place. (Long story short. We were on the edge of the tornado that tore up Joplin. A ranger banged on our door and told us to get into the bathroom block. Well smart me thought I would put the slides in first. Nope that sucker wouldn't come in. That was the last straw).

Anyway the end result was a declaration to never have an rv with a slide again. Never. Don't tell me your stories cos I'm not listening. No I'm not listening. No. No No.

Our first two motorhomes were great and we never had an issue with slides. Simply because we never had slides.

regards

After living in one now for almost a year that has no slide I am with Stanley on this one...at 6'4" I need all the room I can get just to turn around!!! We actually adapted pretty well and were thinking we could make it without one and probably could if it was always going to be just us but when our 7 year old grandson and 21 year old son (who is almost 6'4" also) came for Spring break we found out very quickly that the added room was absolutely a necessity!!!! Especially since we are planning on taking my grandson with us during his summer breaks!!

Were slides even available in 1993 models?

They were only available in a few models back that far but we growing in popularity..

. The first How To RV book I read warned that slides might leak and bingo, your floor begins to rot. I'm soloing, so I'm getting no slides.

While we lived quite nicely in our 36' class A without any slides, it was a 1998 and slides have come a long way since that time. Even today we own an RV that was new in 2012 and it too has no slides. But I do believe that if I were shopping for a new class A to live in or any other type of RV for fulltime, I'd probably look seriously at one with slides. They still have a few problems, but what doesn't? If you buy from one of the best quality RV builders, such as Newmar, Tiffin, or Winnebago you will not be likely to experience significant problems with a slide.

If you buy from one of the best quality RV builders, such as Newmar, Tiffin, or Winnebago you will not be likely to experience significant problems with a slide.

Our first Winnebago was fine but in the second one the bedroom slide leaked.

Linda Sand

The motors for the Schwintek are actually very small and located at the top of the slide. Mine had a wire pinched behind the metal trim when it was installed at the factory and shorted the wire. If the motor stops working and the override doesn't you can remove one screw and pop the unit off the drive then just push the slide in then slide the motor back in place to lock the slide in place.

Archived