Need ideas!

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

Before we rebuild our truck bed to carry a Smart Car, I need some input on carrying a motorcycle or 2. Perferred idea would be a box for the bikes and room for the smart behind the box.

Toy hauler is out of the equation as DRV is stupid on their price and Excel just closed.

Suggestions, ideas, woulda's coulda's, shoulda's...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Jim,

Will be one of the topics at the ECR. Maybe get some pointers there.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Jim;

The way our truck is setup, it has been hauling motorcycles. But we now have Polaris Ranger to go with my enduro motorcycle. Both street legal and both are carried on the bed. We tow a TT though. So no Smart for us as the new UTV's can be street legalized, and i feel are alot more fun to drive.

With the newer TT's, you can have all the comforts and space of a 5th (except ceiling height), and stll have a empty bed on the truck to load whatever.

It might not work for others, but it has been perfect for us.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Before people jump on the UTV bandwagon - they are not street legal everywhere. And the fact they have a registration in your home state does not make them street legal everywhere.

But they are fun, and they are legal in many places - especially out west.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Jim,

With our set up we carry two bikes using a hydraulic lift from AmeriDeck to bring them in and out. The box is 102" wide x 96" long and 84" high. Inside on the front there is enough room for tool boxes and misc. so you could technically reduce the length by another 2 feet if necessary.

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

This is fairly radical but drop the frame from back of cab to front of rear suspension to allow bike on either side of drive shaft then car above the two bikes, platforms for bikes could pivot out to ground for loading maybe car will have to go on from rear because of extra height it would be at, it's not much longer than bikes anyway

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

Jim, You probably need to do some weight and length calculations as it looks like you might be singled short. To put both bikes and the smart on the deck you are going to need to stretch the deck quite a bit and your overall length may be illegal and you may have too much rear overhang. If you want to try what BobA suggests you need to see how much space you have between your rear tires and your fuel tank and I doubt you have enough.

Can you do a bike carrier on the back of the 5th?

You might be able to angle the smart up high enough to clear one bike underneath but I doubt 2. Need more measurements of the bikes to verify.

Have you looked at Space craft for a toy hauler? I think it was 1Rod that just had one made.

Your other option might be to go to a TT and then have the whole truck deck for smstt and bikes.

We plan to be at ECR if you want to do some brain storming.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Archived