Dually spare tire

bigjim

Ok, I fooled a number of salesmen yesterday. How does the spare wheel and tire work on a dually pickup. I assume you do carry one but the rims are different for the outer and inner right?? Are the front and rear tires and wheels the same size and the rims. This is something I just never thought about before but might be good to know for me and others. Inquireing minds want to know and you too can play the stump the saleman game. I did appreciate the ones that admitted upfront they did not know. I wasn't buying or shopping just asking the question. I did feel a little like a single minnow surrounded by hungry bass just walking in the door.

The rims(wheels) are the same. On the rear the inner is mounted with the opening to the inside, the outer, the opening to the outside.

Jim

Yep, that's how ours works also. We have a mix of Alcoa Aluminum (4) wheels with steel (2) , and a steel spare. Spare fits everything. On our rig the inside duels are steel while all the rest are aluminum.

Dave

Are the aluminum ones for looks or weight reduction?

Yes to both I guess. Certainly yes to "Looks". If you get a flat you place the steel wheel in place of the Aluminum one.

Check out my Blog www.RVTireSafety.NET

I serve on Tech Advisory board of FMCA as their Tire Expert.

Give three different seminars on tires at RV events and I also give three seminars on Genealogy too.

On our 2003 Ram dually, there are seven steel wheels. Chrome wheel simulators cover the black steel. So when I rotate tires, I don't have to have tires remounted so the aluminum wheels are showing. The newer Rams I believe have gone to aluminum wheels, I'll take the simulators anytime. Don't need a tire shop. As far as size goes, the fronts and backs are the same size.

Unsprung weight impacts the weight as well as the ride quality.

True the wheel weight doesn't impact the load the springs are carrying but it impacts weight the tires are carrying and the scale weights.

Going to aluminum instead of steel can save around 33 pounds each or about 200 pounds for a set of six.

Ride quality change: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Our 2007 Ram had all steel wheels

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Archived