Taos New Mexico

dblr

Our summer trip will be heading out to visit our son in Taos N.M. so looking for advice for camping in the area with a HDT & 39 5th wheel. He recommended Pilar and I found 2 BLM spots, now with few spots with hook ups can you reserve or first come first serve? Also can we get in there ok with our rig. Never been that far west with the camper and of course never stayed in a BLM, any help would be great thanks a lot.

I haven't been there in a while but I believe it might be doable for Pilar but if I recall it is a narrowish road. It might be best to get some spot that is a sure thing for a day or 2 and scout it out. You should be able to get a number for the Blm office and give them a call to ask them for their input. It is deep in the canyon so I would guess only tv would be satelite. Maybe radio too.

I think they upgraded one or more of the campgrounds there in recent years also there may be an issue with a bridge so ask about that. There is a lot of rafting and canoe/ and that other thing that my brain just froze out, put ins there. I believe there is a series of 5 campgrounds of varying sizes

Kayak is what I was trying to say.

As said, the road (NM-570) into the campgrounds along the Rio Grande River at Pilar is narrow in spots. I do not recall the weight limit on the bridge. There is a Visitor Center on NM-68 at the junction with NM-570. There are six campgrounds along NM-570. I believe, they are all first come first serve. Two of them have a total of 13 electric sites, No dump station. There may be a couple of sites that are big enough for you. Many of the non-electric sites were not big enough for our 32' trailer and truck (55'). The largest campground is at the Taos Junction Bridge, only four individual sites, but a large group area where we have seen as many as 30 Class C's for a Lazy Days rally.

There are also BLM campgrounds in the Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument North of Taos on NM-522.

There are several Forest Service Campgrounds in the Carson National Forest along NM-38 between Questa and Red River.

Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument--I thought about this one but it is a good bit further as is some of the ones in the Carson NF or a commercial camp at Red River but was guessing you were wanting to be closer to Taos. Also I don't have any experience with the size spots and accessability of the Carson campgrounds. I believe trailertravler may be correct that there is no dump available at any of the Pilar sites. I do think they have some showers at some but I am told they can tend to be muddy and messy due to the folks there to float the river.

How about a commercial campground in the area incase we have to go that route?

I don't believe any of the commercial parks actually in Taos will have any shade, which you may think is important in the summer. Angel Fire (24 miles), Eagles Nest (31 miles) and Red River (36 miles) are all at higher elevation and will have cooler temps. There are commercial parks in all three. Everyone's tastes, wants and needs are different so I suggest you use RV Park Reviews to see what others think of the various parks.

We checked the BLM at Pilar they were a definite no go for size. We stayed At Road Runner RV park north of Santa Fe and drove to Taos for the day. About 55 miles. The drive from Raton to Taos on 64 is very curvey but a great trip if you are going that way. Check for ice before attempting.

Have fun!

We checked the BLM at Pilar they were a definite no go for size. We stayed At Road Runner RV park north of Santa Fe and drove to Taos for the day. About 55 miles. The drive from Raton to Taos on 64 is very curvey but a great trip if you are going that way. Check for ice before attempting.

Have fun!

Thanks for checking out Pilar and the update you are a big help

Archived