Toilet Chemical, Technical, just not Electrical or Mechanical

oldjohnt

There is no real reason to use anything. Do it if you want, but it really does not do much. IF you leave sewage in your tanks for a long period in hot weather you MIGHT find that chemicals cover smell some. But frankly, as full timers that never happens with us. We do as suggested here - use lots of water. After that - do what you feel like spending money on - because there is no proof that anything provides a benefit in typical RV use.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Jack, yeppers in 40+ years of camping I've used plenty of water (along with after fills and dumps) which works fine. Like you, I've seen no hard core technical scientific "proof" the chemicals help NOR have I seen any such "proof" it doesn't help some or that it hurts anything, which is why I was asking for opinions and experiences with Rid X and Happy Camper.

Keep safe yall

John T Heading back North pretty soon, getting too hot in Florida lol

I experimented with Rid-x in the rv some years ago for a couple of months and could not see any difference. I have my doubts about how well it works on septic systems but at least septic systems don't get dump (or pumped) in short periods of time like an RV. I can remember my folks occaisionally itroducing some regular old yeast that you used for cooking into our septic sytem but was too young to remember why they did it. Now I assume it was to maintain the bacteria.

I guess my question is why bother if we are just dumping the waste down a drain. If I were dumping it into a septic system I could see the point of it.

Well, the drain you dump into at many RV parks is to a septic system but even when it isn't it still goes to a sewer treatment plant and those use many of the same principles.

RID X

I was under the impression Rid X had one product for home septic systems but another product designed for RV holding tank use, that correct????

Your impression was correct. Some years ago they did develop a version of their product intended for RV use.

I experimented with Rid-x in the rv some years ago for a couple of months and could not see any difference. I have my doubts about how well it works on septic systems but at least septic systems don't get dump (or pumped) in short periods of time like an RV. I can remember my folks occaisionally itroducing some regular old yeast that you used for cooking into our septic sytem but was too young to remember why they did it. Now I assume it was to maintain the bacteria.

I don't think that it usually does much unless something unusual arises. Rid-ex says to use the product monthly, but my trusted septic system designer and the serviceman both say that the use of such products is a good idea but is only needed once or twice a year and that as preventative insurance, just in case. Both of them agree that most products are over sold.

The action which liquifies the solids in your black tank is exactly the same as the first stage of what happens in a septic system. But in the septic tank the bottom does in time collect a layer of sludge, which is in your black tank also, but it leaves when you dump and is the reason for waiting for the tank to be half or more full before dumping. Those same to "experts" I mentioned before say that the gray water tank is probably benefited more by a product like Rid-X for RVs because of the buildup of soap, kitchen grease, and similar products that it will help to keep in suspension and so leave when the tanks are dumped.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have read that the black water tanks on RVs are holding tanks and not a septic tank or system and that for most people the black

water is not in then long enough to break down. In your case with 7 or 11 days that may not be the case. We use Calgon water softner and laundry detergent

only.

RidX begins to work in 2 hrs, reaches the limit of breaking down "stuff" in 2-4 days, depending on ambenient temperature. I've never known of anyone who cannot go 2-4 days without dumping the black tank.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived