Looking at purchasing a National RV pacifica 40e

jacdehunt

I just started looking at the National RV pacifica 40d class A motorhome. My experience is in fifth wheels not class A's.

I know the company went bankrupt in 2008 but don't know if I want to take the risk of buying a rig where the company no longer exists. Did National produce a quality product. Is there anything that I need to be aware of before I purchase a rig where the company has gone by the wayside?

Thanks Dan

I don't know anything about the National so I can't speak to quality. Hopefully, others will know. As far as bankrupt goes, on a unit of that age I wouldn't worry about it. The brand doesn't really matter, what matters is the current state of the RV. If everything checks out--good engine, no leaks, great upkeep, like new--or close--condition: those things are far more important on an RV seven years old.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I have a 2007 Dolphin. Excellent quality. Standard brand components. No trouble getting work done when needed... Only thing that appears to be a customized national RV built component... is the shower - One piece molded fiberglass that will never leak because it is one piece.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Why do you think that a used RV, long out of any warranty period, would be a better buy if the company was still in business?

RVs, regardless of brand, use the pretty much the same equipment from the same manufacturers...for example, the refrigerators for the most part come either from Dometic or Norcold. There may be *some* manufacturer-specific items, but any competent RV service center will be able to fix anything that goes wrong.

As has been stated, the current condition of any used RV is much more important than whether or not the manufacturer is still in business.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The value of owning an older RV that is built by a company that is still in business depends greatly upon who that company is because some builders do continue to support their RVs if taken to the factory, long after the warranty period is expired, while most do not. In most cases that is of limited value but if you should ever have a major structural issue, then it could be very valuable. Should you happen to be one of those unfortunate owners, that support could become quite important and that is the reason that orphaned brands tend to sell for somewhat less.

National RV had one of the top reputations in the business for a long time, but they got a large batch of sidewall materials that did not hold up and the company that supplied those materials went out of business, leaving National with no place to go back to in their effort to supply warranty support to the ones with the problems. This issue played a major role in the financial failure of National and some of those problem RVs never did get corrected. I would doubt that any of those units with the bad sidewall materials are still around so that should not be an issue. Priced right, I'd have no qualms in buying one of them for the right price.

I might note that the much praised Country Coach that you see mentioned on these forums was a product of National RV for a lot of their history. :)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived