95 through Idaho?

Seeria

Hello everyone!

30' class c, no toad

We're thinking of taking a leisurely trip, stopping for 1 to 2 weeks here and there. Route would mostly be on 95 from Fruitland or Lewiston up to Sandpoint this April or May.

I'm wondering if this is too early? Snowing still? We don't have chains and have never driven the route.

How curvy, roller coaster, mountain climbing is the route? Is that route a tranny killer?

We hope to stay until fall. What is a good time to head south leisurely before the roads or passes get snow?

Driven from Lewiston to Sandpoint in the summer with a 37' fifth wheel. Nice road, but no idea about conditions now. If you don't have a park picked out yet, one of our favorite parks in the area is on the other side of lake in Hope. Island View is a family owned park in the middle of the Sam Owen game preserve. Shady, grass spots the all sorts of game roaming through the park. Its about 30 minutes around the lake from Sandpoint.

http://www.sandpoint.com/go/islandview/

Route would mostly be on 95 from Fruitland or Lewiston up to Sandpoint this April or May.

I'm wondering if this is too early? Snowing still? We don't have chains and have never driven the route.

How curvy, roller coaster, mountain climbing is the route? Is that route a tranny killer?

We usually travel this route at the end of March/first part of April on our way home for the summer (and again in late October/early November on our way south for the winter). We've never hit snow and I can't think of any place where you would need chains even if you did run into snow...there are no high passes. It's a good two-lane road...you should have absolutely no problems with it (we've driven it with a 32' fifth wheel pulled by a 1-ton dually and our current Class C).

We usually cut off at Lewiston and go up US-195 in Washington State, but we have traveled US-95 all the way up to I-90.

If you like to boondock, there are lots of places along US-95 to do so...many of the Sportsman's Access areas lend themselves to boondocking.

Be sure to pick up the "RV Idaho" camping guide. It's free and lists many private RV parks and public campgrounds as well as listing the many RV dumps in the state (you'll find that almost every town has some place to dump tanks and take on fresh water, often for free or for a donation):

http://rvidaho.org/

(And, of course, the Escapees' Day's End has many Idaho listings, many of them provided by us when we spent the summer of 2009 traveling the state.)

We live about 150 miles west of Coeur d'Alene, ID and it has been as mild on the west coast as it has been nasty on the east coast this seas. Right now it's raining from here to Missoula, MT. If ever there has been a season for early travel north on ID 95 this would seem to me to be "it". Unless something changes radically.

The lake our SnB sits on typically was frozen solid until March 15 until about 5 years ago when it began to freeze later and thaw earleir. This year it thawed completely before the end of January! Today, the day it would have thawed for the first 15 years we lived here, we realized that we'll have to mow the lawn as soon as the rain stops.

WDR

We will be heading north through Idaho and then Montana to our home in Alberta in about a week. The 2 previous years we have done this we hit blowing snow around the Monida pass and then around Helena. This year I am watching the weather closely and it looks promising...might not even need to winterize the MH until we get home.....that would be nice.

Archived