Memory lane

phoenix2013

I remember reading on the forum here about a truck that had a door added to the back of a sleeper. I don't think we have had a chance to see it in person or meet the owners.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

So you found them or did they find you? I saw their trailer in JPP on Friday. The truck wasn't there. Am planning to move to the park the end of April for a month when I change job locations. They ( and most everyone else) will be gone from the park by then.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Are those two pics from yesterday? And if they are, what is happening to that truck?

Something, I thought it was a different truck but then rechecked the photos. Seems like the Sleeper has had a Hair Cut and not at the salon.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

The truck is being fixed by an International dealer/body shop. They stripped the interior out and then decided that the roof was not coming off (easily), so they cut it off. For the benefit of the "non-veterans" I want to point out that the roof is fiberglass, the cab is steel.

My first instruction to them would be, "why not just do a fiberglass repair to the roof"? With all the boats and yachts in Florida plenty of fiberglass experts here. They got a new roof in but apparently it's the wrong part and now they are saying that replacing the entire cab might be easier.

As I was driving out of the shop I spotted an entire Volvo cab sitting by the shop. Now in the spirit of full disclosure I didn't ask nor do I know why it's there, but since they primarily sell and work in Internationals, I'm assuming this was the cab bought to provide the roof for the repair. Something struck me odd then epiphany! The truck is 770 the cab was 660. Again I don't know, but seems like a hell of a coincidence. They blew the schedule completely and Jeremiah will have to leave the truck and trailer in Florida until it's fixed and at this point there is a possibility that the insurance company might total the rig, which would be a shame, it's a nice truck with ISX and only 500,000 miles on it.

I'm thinking this would have been a good time to put a 730-height roof on it...(that is, if it were my choice)

A great idea, but one that would require the acquisition and installation of a lot of interior parts that would have to come either from a donor truck (and 730s are rare) or new from Volvo. Undoubtedly that would be a far more expensive proposition than keeping the original high-rise roofline.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

From the angle of the picture it doesn't look like the shop doors are tall enough to get the truck out if they put a high top back on.

I would contact Volvo and see what a replacement fiberglass roof would cost just in case.

How about getting a soft top and making a convertible!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Sure wish he would have posted here before taking it to that shop. Don't know them unless they are East of 95 in West Palm then I wouldn't take much there from what I saw several years ago before I bought my truck. I have a very good source for truck repairs and I believe it's on the forum list. Total Truck Parts In West Palm. Link below will take you to the West Palm location map.

Rod

http://totaltruckparts.net/locations/westpalmbeach.html

The link doesn't really mention the service area in the back. It is a large parts supplier but also has 8 bays for all types of service. It's where I had my truck box mounted and the frame extension done.

RL

2007 Honda GL 1800

I'm VERY surprised that truck is not totalled. I see no way that putting a new roof on, and completing the interior repairs is economical given the book value of the truck. Unless he has a policy where he has replacement value of all the changes to the truck.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived