Memory lane

phoenix2013

So you found them or did they find you? I saw their trailer in JPP on Friday. The truck wasn't there. Am planning to move to the park the end of April for a month when I change job locations. They ( and most everyone else) will be gone from the park by then.

Rod

The truck is being fixed by an International dealer/body shop. They stripped the interior out and then decided that the roof was not coming off (easily), so they cut it off. For the benefit of the "non-veterans" I want to point out that the roof is fiberglass, the cab is steel.

My first instruction to them would be, "why not just do a fiberglass repair to the roof"? With all the boats and yachts in Florida plenty of fiberglass experts here. They got a new roof in but apparently it's the wrong part and now they are saying that replacing the entire cab might be easier.

As I was driving out of the shop I spotted an entire Volvo cab sitting by the shop. Now in the spirit of full disclosure I didn't ask nor do I know why it's there, but since they primarily sell and work in Internationals, I'm assuming this was the cab bought to provide the roof for the repair. Something struck me odd then epiphany! The truck is 770 the cab was 660. Again I don't know, but seems like a hell of a coincidence. They blew the schedule completely and Jeremiah will have to leave the truck and trailer in Florida until it's fixed and at this point there is a possibility that the insurance company might total the rig, which would be a shame, it's a nice truck with ISX and only 500,000 miles on it.

I'm thinking this would have been a good time to put a 730-height roof on it...(that is, if it were my choice)

A great idea, but one that would require the acquisition and installation of a lot of interior parts that would have to come either from a donor truck (and 730s are rare) or new from Volvo. Undoubtedly that would be a far more expensive proposition than keeping the original high-rise roofline.

Sure wish he would have posted here before taking it to that shop. Don't know them unless they are East of 95 in West Palm then I wouldn't take much there from what I saw several years ago before I bought my truck. I have a very good source for truck repairs and I believe it's on the forum list. Total Truck Parts In West Palm. Link below will take you to the West Palm location map.

Rod

http://totaltruckparts.net/locations/westpalmbeach.html

The link doesn't really mention the service area in the back. It is a large parts supplier but also has 8 bays for all types of service. It's where I had my truck box mounted and the frame extension done.

RL

I'm VERY surprised that truck is not totalled. I see no way that putting a new roof on, and completing the interior repairs is economical given the book value of the truck. Unless he has a policy where he has replacement value of all the changes to the truck.

Archived