Day 2 DirecTV - few stations '771' error code

We're learning the ropes of both the equipment, plus the luck of the draw of who answers the phone for tech support:)!

We have a newly fired up Traveler and DirecTV account. So new, that the Mobile/DNS request is still in work. (Just mailed the forms 4 days ago, so too soon to expect anything.

We are zip coded out of South Dakota, and just rolled into Yuma after picking up our coach from the RV facility in California a day ago.

A few of the stations, like NBC channel 7 here (Everywhere?), provide error code '771'. Have looked everything over that I they're online help suggests.

Called for assistance, and the nice lady on the phone was not sure if this could be related to DNS not being established or not, and us being outside of our South Dakota address Spot Beam. She did mention that NBC was having an ongoing discussion (seems like last year it was CBS), with DirecTV.

All else seems to be working well, so my thinking is that we're missing some channels due to Mobile/DNS not being yet established(?).

Looking for some veterans of Satellite and DirecTV and DNS input on this...

Any info appreciated!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Because your DNS is not activated, you will not have the networks or California local tv stations, because the spot bean for locals will be your South Dakota address. Until you get your DNS activated, just call Directv on their regular number, and have them change your SERVICE ADDRESS to your current address.

Paul

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

There's a fax number for DNS that has been previously posted on the forum. I think it is 208-363-6444 although I'm not positive.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

DNS stations are in the 389 to 399 range.

For them to turn DNS on. Your dish must be up and locked on when they do it.

If you happen to be traveling when they zap the receiver.

Then you can go to your account at DTV and after signed in you can reset your receiver yourself.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

first pick an address in Phoenix, any address as long as it is good.

Next call tech support, request a change in SERVICE address not Mailing address.

Do not say you are an RV.

Stress Service address, and make sure you tell them your MAILING address remains the same.

Within 15 minutes you will be receiving Local channels from Phoenix.

Susan & Dale
DaGirls Rv 2008 Alfa Gold SoLong ISL 425 Cummins
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Tow / Roadmaster Setup
1600W@45Vdc Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar

880AmpHr
DaGirlsRv Blog

first pick an address in Phoenix, any address as long as it is good.

Next call tech support, request a change in SERVICE address not Mailing address.

Do not say you are an RV.

Stress Service address, and make sure you tell them your MAILING address remains the same.

Within 15 minutes you will be receiving Local channels from Phoenix.

The times I have called I told them I was in an RV, and it didnt make any difference to them.

Paul

Direct TV sure makes it difficult for RVers. Glad Dish is so much easier.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Direct TV sure makes it difficult for RVers. Glad Dish is so much easier.

I'm not sure what you think is so difficult. We've not had any issues with DTV in 4 years of full-timing. We even were able to have a DTV installer convert our Trav'ler to SWM and install a Genie all at no cost to us.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I have had DNS since 2011 and when it was athorized I was on the phone with the DNS group and it started working imediately. Since I have zero problems with DNS I haven't talked with them since 2011, but the number I used at the time was (877) 477-4720. This was a direct line to the DNS group that definitely understood RV's and DNS.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Thanks for all the info sharing. As I just mailed in the Mobile and DNS forms, I'll let things simmer until Thursday/Friday and see if they fire things up. Expect a notification, and will check our account logon daily. If no luck by Friday, I'll toss them a call and see if I missed anything.

Impressed with the picture quality.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

After we receive your paperwork, we will need 11 to 14 days to verify that the information is complete and to activate your DNS programming. It is important for you to know that your dish must be pointed to the satellite located at 101 degrees West longitude at the time we activate these services or your system will not be able to receive the signals.

If you are not receiving DNS programming after 14 days, first check to make sure your dish is pointed to the correct position and then call us to request activation. We look forward to receiving your information and bringing you broadcast network services.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

After we receive your paperwork, we will need 11 to 14 days to verify that the information is complete and to activate your DNS programming. It is important for you to know that your dish must be pointed to the satellite located at 101 degrees West longitude at the time we activate these services or your system will not be able to receive the signals. If you are not receiving DNS programming after 14 days, first check to make sure your dish is pointed to the correct position and then call us to request activation. We look forward to receiving your information and bringing you broadcast network services.

So someone who has sent in paperwork for DNS is expected to sit in one place for two weeks with the satellite dish aimed at the 101 waiting for DNS to be activated? Would be nice in Direct would let them know when the activation is going to happen.

Paul

Would be nice in Direct would let them know when the activation is going to happen.

Perhaps so, but that's not what happens (at least in our experience). DNS just magically appears one day! <_<

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

So someone who has sent in paperwork for DNS is expected to sit in one place for two weeks with the satellite dish aimed at the 101 waiting for DNS to be activated? Would be nice in Direct would let them know when the activation is going to happen.

Paul

Of course not. There's a link on the My Account section of the DirecTv website where you can click on a link to reactivate your receiver. That will send the activation signal again and everything will be fine. If you get to 14 days with no DNS do this first before calling.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

We've been traveling since 2003 and used DirecTV this whole time. Never have we had any problem that was NOT taken care of with no more than a couple of calls. Ninety nine and nine tenths of the time it was "user error" that was causing the problem. Never even been remotely hassled about whether the boxes were in the house or in the RV. We have always indicated that we were on the road with the home boxes. They didn't care. We would refer to the boxes only as 'living room' or 'bedroom' and that was all they needed.

A few months back we upgraded to the "whole home" system. The tech came out to house and installed everything. While he was there we discussed about setting up the system in the RV. The tech gave us a power supply and a "router/splitter" device.

We have both "locals" and "DNS". We never change the 'locals' when traveling. If we need or want locals we use the on board antenna. We have had "DNS" for many years. We still have both East and West DNS feeds. We were grandfathered in with both coasts when the system changed a couple of years back.

I cannot believe we have been so lucky in our dealings with DTV. Don't have any "secret" or "special" connections to DTV. We just ask questions and they respond. And like I said earlier most of the time we had not done something the way it should have been done.

We have way too much programming -read too expensive- and need to cut back. One of these days we will. We use only a portable dish but one of these days we will get one mounted on rig. Happy Trails, Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

We've been traveling since 2003 and used DirecTV this whole time. Never have we had any problem that was NOT taken care of with no more than a couple of calls. Ninety nine and nine tenths of the time it was "user error" that was causing the problem. Never even been remotely hassled about whether the boxes were in the house or in the RV. We have always indicated that we were on the road with the home boxes. They didn't care. We would refer to the boxes only as 'living room' or 'bedroom' and that was all they needed.

A few months back we upgraded to the "whole home" system. The tech came out to house and installed everything. While he was there we discussed about setting up the system in the RV. The tech gave us a power supply and a "router/splitter" device.

We have both "locals" and "DNS". We never change the 'locals' when traveling. If we need or want locals we use the on board antenna. We have had "DNS" for many years. We still have both East and West DNS feeds. We were grandfathered in with both coasts when the system changed a couple of years back.

I cannot believe we have been so lucky in our dealings with DTV. Don't have any "secret" or "special" connections to DTV. We just ask questions and they respond. And like I said earlier most of the time we had not done something the way it should have been done.

We have way too much programming -read too expensive- and need to cut back. One of these days we will. We use only a portable dish but one of these days we will get one mounted on rig. Happy Trails, Dennis

Our experience has been virtually identical. We have locals plus our DNS; we leave the locals set for Corpus Christi where we spend the winter. We spent last summer in Canada and will do so again this year. "Locals" on DTV don't mean much up there! :lol:

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Thought I'd share an interesting call I had last week with DirecTV on where was our DNS.

>Three transfers to get to the right department

>They confirmed they had received my forms and request for Mobile and DNS

>Unfortunately our new Travler and Genie were not yet activated (they were activated the day after they got the forms). So they were not able to establish the DNS.

>They did not email, call, or send notifications to our DirecTV account - that they were not able to establish the DNS.

>By chance, a DNS Department (my name for the department) Supervisor answered my transferred call. She put me on hold, came back a few minutes later, and said they no longer had my forms. To refill them out, and resend them in.

>I asked for the fax number, and she did provide me with that. But said it would still be up to 5 days after they received the fax before it would be activated.

My concerns were with two key areas:

1) Security of my data. Where did my forms go? They included a copy of my Drivers License. The Supervisor said that since the device was not yet activated, they had not retained my forms. I asked how were the forms handled, and she said they go to recycling. I asked does recycling mean shredding, and she said that all office paper work is placed in their recycling bin, and that she did not know where that went. (Honest answer, but sure not what I wanted to hear. In most major offices with sensitive info, their's a Blue recycling bin, and a Green with locked lid and slot on top shredding bin. I asked if she could have someone from DirecTV followup and please (Guys, I was polite during the full call.) let me know how my forms were actually handled once they left their DNS office. No Sir - we have not process to do this....

2) Minor but still an area for improvement. As a customer, who took the time to fill our the forms, get the copies of registration and drivers license, and spend the stamp money to mail in my info for DNS to DirecTV - I would have expected them to have a 'Pending File' where they: 1) Re-try a few days later. 2) If not able to establish DNS, that they would contact me per my account info Email or Phone, that DNS was not established.

So we have refilled out the paper work, and faxed the info in again. And will check daily. We have the dish up, and the Genie on, to hopefully catch the DNS update. We will be traveling for 6-8 hours tomorrow, so that will be a 'dead zone' for them to establish the DNS. I wonder even though our account an device are now 'activated', if they will toss the DNS forms again, if we're traveling when they attempt to do the update? (That will make me happy:)!)

I want to stress that everyone I talked with was polite to me, it was just their lack of good 'processes' and concern for security that has me a bit miffed in my early experiences with DirecTV. And I have sent a polite suggestion to their Feedback area, on these concerns.

The picture quality continues to remain outstanding, blows away my home TWC quality.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Smitty,

There is no need for your receivers to be on when they turn on DNS. Transmission from the satellite is a one way proposition. Your receivers do not talk back to DirecTV, nor does DirecTV have any way of knowing whether or not your receiver is on. (This assumes you do not have it plugged into the internet.; something you do not need to do.) After you power it up you can sign on to the DirecTV website and locate the option that allows you to "reauthorize" your receiver. Doing so will set up your receiver with whatever programming you are authorized to, including the DNS if it is set up. Usually this step is not even required, but it's there in case it is. I've had to use it once when my receiver forgot what programming I was authorized to receive. It took only seconds to get me going again.

On Edit: I just checked the process. Sign on to your account. At the bottom of the page, select the "My Equipment" option and look for the sentence that says, "Problem with your current receiver? Refresh your service". Click on "Refresh your service" and you will see the page where you select the receiver to reauthorize. If you have more than one receiver, do them all one at a time.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

Thanks Rif - I'll check this when we get to our next stopping point, and see if DNS has been activated.

I did get a case number when I contacted DirecTV about my security concerns, and request for further contact. So I'm in their system.

I worked for a fortune 50 corporation before retiring, and helped with their systems and procedures designed. Many a time I would visit a plant as a troubleshooter to help solve problems. It was amazing how many times the problems were the processes and sometimes systems that were not in sync with the reality of changes to manufacturing. So I personally always welcomed someone giving a shout out that 'This don't work!' or 'Are you guys stupid?' or 'I don't even want to talk with you, if you had anything to do with this mess...':)! ---- The only way processes can be improved, is when a problem is identified. Lack of efficient communication to the customer, and concern for security, were what I'm trying to identify to DirecTV in this part of their processes.

I'd say at least 4 our of 5 times when I take the time to try and help or share a perception - the results are positive.

Sure I was not pleased about the delay. Or the PITA of needing to resubmit all of the forms - but I was not whining to DirecTV, just pointing out they had a problem. I was concerned, and still am, about potential security. I for sure want assurances that they shred paper with customer's sensitive information on them.

Best,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Archived