Should we stay, or should we go...

We're in an "OK" park right now. No frills, however there is a large back lot where I can walk Pogo, my cat, (Pogo Mau on FaceBook) in an environment that he feels safe in.

The owners are in the process of upgrading the facilities, and are super friendly folks. It's an older park as they go, an the residents are 55 and older, and it is quiet, other than the sirens. The main route for fire, police and ambulance is just over a block away.

The space rent is reasonable, a large storage shed, water, sewer and garbage are included.

The area we're in has been tagged as one of the most senior friendly areas in the country. There are three major grocery stores within a 5 minute drive, and several other amenities within a 5 miles radius.

We're planning on hitting the road for 5 months or so in July/August. I let the owners know this yesterday.

She was almost in tears! The words "Best tenants ever" were said over and over again...

She proposed this:

For $50.00 a month, our space is held for us. We can keep our storage shed (We're in direct view of the main office/home of the owners) and it will be kept secure They will collect our mail, and hold it for our youngest to come and get once a week, so he can forward it to us.

We'd not have to change address, and if we needed to get back to Oregon fast, we'd not have to find a place to park.

Anyone see a downside here?

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

Only in keeping your Oregon domicile if the taxes are a consideration, otherwise it sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I did something similar 20 years ago, when I worked out a deal that let me take a month long leave of absence from my job 3 times a year. I was living in my RV in a nice mobilehome park with several RV spaces (those too small for the newer doublewide mobiles) and the managers agreed to rent my space out while I was gone, and make sure it was available for me when I got back.

I found out later they were SKPs taking a break from fulltiming so they understood what I was doing.

The answer is in your intentions and desires. If you wish to roam the country freely with no attachments and to carry everything with you, only returning to Oregon on rare occasion for short visits, then it is probably not a good plan. In this case it appears that you wish to return to Oregon frequently for extended periods so it may be just what you want. I'm not sure if I would want to handle my mail in that way, but I don't know the people either so I might feel differently if I did.

The way that I read your post it does seem that you really want to do this so why not give it a try? There is nothing at all to prevent you from a change of mind next year if this doesn't work as well as you expect, and your loss in such a situation would not be that much.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I would be willing to pay more than that for such a set up in a location that suited me. If fact I would do it where I am now but it is probhibitvely high here although he would do it. Things are always subject to change at short notice. I kind of worry about my current park owners health as I like dealing with him and the location is great for me when I am in this area. Even though the park is nothing special he has a waiting list.

If you really need the mail and storage space you certainly can't beat 50 bucks, but I wouldn't let emotional attachments dampen your travels. Your landlord will get over it real quick once the space is rented out. I don't mean to be insensitive, but it is what it is.

We have this same setup in MI. We rent a site for the year and can keep our stuff not needed there. I happen to have a shed on the site, and a 18' cargo trailer there also. 20'x40' slab with full hook ups and all at the cost of $1250 per year. It's worked out for us now for going on 10 yrs. We do have an honor system there that when you are there you pay $2.00 per day for electricity. He don't keep track he just accepts what you give him. Only have 25 sites in the park and its a fishing type setup. Its on a 9200 acre flooding and has great fishing. Large lots to boot. That's what I call a deal. That I know of right now, no full hook up sites are available.

Dave

Dave & Linda

2011 Bighorn 3670

2000 Ford 7.3 PS diesel white and tan in color Now Fulltiming since May15, 2010

Semper Fi Marines!!

Archived