Air Dryer

53wlee53

I posted this on the MDT side with no response so I'll try it here.

I have a 09 Freightliner M2-106 air brakes, cab, seats, rear suspension. Last weekend I took a trip to central Alabama to pu a 66 Chevy truck with the Freightshaker and my gooseneck trailer. 750 round trip. The weekend before I made the same trip with a 6.5x16 tag trailer only to find it wouldn't fit,bummer! On the first trip i had trouble with the air system. It would take a long time to charge up and unload. Then after awhile when it would unload it would keep leaking air until it reached 50 psi.

The compressor would kick in and slow down the pressure fall be a cruse rpm it couldn't keep up. It would do this 2-3 times then stop. Might go 50 to 100 miles same thing again.

I got home and changed the governor and the undoader, took the last trip and it acted the same but not as often. What am i missing? It charges up like it used to so I think governor was needing replacement. Cralled under the truck and when it's leaking it's out the bottom of the unloader.. I have the Bendix AD-IS dryer.

Thanks, Wayne Lee

Wayne

2009 Freightliner M2-106 Crewcab

8.3 Cummins 330/1000- Allison 3000RDS

2003 Newmar MountainAire 39 SDTS

Thanks for the info. Kinda only thing left. Before I replace I'm gona see if theres a rebuild kit. That thing ain't cheep!

Wayne

Wayne

2009 Freightliner M2-106 Crewcab

8.3 Cummins 330/1000- Allison 3000RDS

2003 Newmar MountainAire 39 SDTS

There are rebuild kits for air dryers. But what you are likely to find is that it is beyond rebuilding. The two I pulled apart were not really suitable for a rebuild. But if you have time it is worth a try.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 7 months later...

We got a rebuilt one from Freightliner for our Century. I think it was only a couple hundred dollars.

Our pop off valve was sticking open and would not build pressure. We could push it closed and it would work fine for awhile but did not want it to act up on a trip.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

A reman air Dryer was $350 with a core charge of $250 for the truck in the avatar about 3 months ago. I had to destroy it to get it off(15 years old) and replace the air tank it bolted to. Ate the whole cost.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I'm having issues with my dryer as well, wanting to purge way too often. The local Volvo dealer recommended a replacement at $450.

Anyone have experience with aftermarket dryers, like the one below?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Truck-Air-Dryer-Cartridge-Assembly-85122946-2003-2014-/121525258011

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I'll give it a try. It's got to come off anyway. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Right on......

Last winter down in Yuma I was getting bored so.......why not attack the air dryer....it was operating "fair" but was somewhat erratic in purging sometimes.....

I yanked it apart and it looked like it had a million miles of bad road inside........as expected....

I wondered down to the local "shaker-parts-shack" and priced the rebuild kit and a new mount and then the geezer-parts-geek said, "just a bit of advice from one old geezer to another geezer, we have a sale on dryers right now and for nearly the same price as the kit and the neww mount I can sell you a referb-dryer and mount.........

The referb-dryer and mount was bolted up and it has worked purrrrfect so far so good......

Shop around prices are up and down.....

Drive on........(Dry air is.....good air)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I'm having issues with my dryer as well, wanting to purge way too often. The local Volvo dealer recommended a replacement at $450.

Anyone have experience with aftermarket dryers, like the one below?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Truck-Air-Dryer-Cartridge-Assembly-85122946-2003-2014-/121525258011

Looks just like the one I put on mine, works great but bought mine at a local dealer wholesale for about the same price, I don't think you can go wrong!!

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

So here is the "question of the day"......." what is the correct purge cycle". How many seconds between "purges" is considered normal?

Totally unit dependent. They purge each cycle, so if you use a lot of air (leaks), it'll cycle more frequently.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Fast air cycles also sometimes mean a problem with the governor being bad.

Watch your air tank gauges if the dryer is popping off and air compressor is cycling on immediately before it drops down around 100 psi could very well be your governor's bad.

We had computer problems on our freightliners that were telling the air dryer to constantly pop off don't know why or how it work.

anyone replacing Bendix air dryers with a new one or reman.... there are CLONES that look almost identical and have the almost identical marking on the air dryer that say bendix. BE VERY WARY of cheap prices for a replacement unit. the clones are JUNK!.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Ran across a guy this week that put one of these in each of his air tanks. I'm not sure if it is one of those things where more gauges = more breakdowns but it seemed like a pretty slick idea to me!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dvr-190895/overview/

Scrap, not sure which one of these would be the correct one? Do you know?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/devilbiss/product-line/devilbiss-air-compressor-desiccant-dryer-replacement-humidity-indicators

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Ran across a guy this week that put one of these in each of his air tanks. I'm not sure if it is one of those things where more gauges = more breakdowns but it seemed like a pretty slick idea to me!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dvr-190895/overview/

These are for guys that paint cars, right? They can't have any moisture or it will show up with little water droplets, I have never seen this on a commercial rig.

Bill

Archived