Travel from Phoenix to Mission Texas

hanknjoycew

On April 7 we are heading from Phoenix area (Tolleson/Freightliner service) to Mission Texas (Bentsen Palm Resort) for the Escapees Birding HOP. Have traveled part of the Texas portion of this route before but been a long time. Plan to stop at Dreamcatcher in Deming 1st night. After that not sure. Thinking of going east on I-10 to Balmorhea (Jct of TX 17), stay at Passport America and then south on "scenic route" to Alpine (OK for a 42' DP towing?). Then east on 90 to Del Rio (3 P.A. parks) before final leg to Mission.

Any thoughts on road choice from I-10 to 90? Or comments on the P.A. parks in Balmorhea or Del Rio? Other ideas?

After Mission TX we are headed to Ft Wayne IN which is another whole discussion.

Hank

SKP 67414

2005 Mandalay DP

2012 Honda CRV

• 2 weeks later...

Since you seem to be traveling to get to Mission, TX and not stopping to see the sights, why not just take I-10 to San Antonio, I-37 to US-281 and straight down to Mission. A much easier drive than going across US-90 from Alpine to Del Rio and then US-277/US-83 to Mission.

Nothing wrong with the roads, from Alpine to Mission, just kind of slow driving with towns to slow down in and a fair amount of wide two lane roads with paved shoulders.

I would take the route you describe if I was going to stop along way at Davis Mountain SP & Seminole Canyon SP and perhaps make other stops along the way.

Archived