Securing collectibles, etc while traveling

Dykman

Is there a way to secure decorative items in a cabinet that has clear doors while traveling or must they be packed up & unpacked continually? We are FT & would like to set things in our cabinet and have them ride safely.

Tom & Erin :rolleyes: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 38L

2006 Honda CRV

2006 Harley Electra-Glide Classic

Museum putty is great stuff, pack them as Barb suggested and you might also want to secure the doors so they don't pop open. Velcro strips work if you have protruding handles, adding command-strip hooks works if you don't.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 3 weeks later...

What you want is the clear museum gel: http://www.amazon.com/Ready-America-33111-Museum-Clear/dp/B0002V37XY. Also available at Home Depot online: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ready-America-Clear-Museum-Gel-4-Oz-33111/202214434

My son lives in Napa, CA, and his wife's grandmother's antique crystal oil lamps that were sitting on the fireplace mantel survived the earthquake last summer without any damage whatsoever. People in California use it to stick down glassware in cabinets, and because it is clear, you can't tell it is there. I use it for the alarm clock in my motorhome bedroom on the small shelf near my bed. I also have a glass cactus on one of my window sills. Both items have stayed in place even on the bumpiest roads. With the clear gel, you can't even tell they are stuck on with anything.

Just stick your finger into the jar and pull out a small piece. Flatten it and stick it on the surface and then press the knickknack on top of it until it is seated. In really hot weather, it may "melt" a bit, so just roll it up like silly putty and stick the item down again. It removes easily and can be reused.

Do test it with some small objects that are not too valuable, however. I don't want to be responsible for anyone's precious antiques!

• 4 weeks later...

I love Museum gel and use it all the time, not just for our California "shakers" but for protection from the "Kamikaze Kitten" (she is 10, LOL) who has been known to rocket through the house over tables, mantles, etc. Use at least three points of contact when sticking your piece down. I would highly recommend a gentle twisting motion when trying to pick up an item that has been stuck down with the gel - you can break the item if you try an abrupt or sideways motion. If used properly, you won't need any cushioning but extra precautions never hurt.

2010 Volvo VNL 670 D13 500 HP Ishift - "THOR"

2016 DRV Elite Suites 38RSSA - "Freya"

2012 Smart For Two - "Loki"

Ron & Shelley Johnston, pilots

Toy, Nika, and Piranha, feline co-pilots and Demi-gods (at least if you ask them).

Archived