Front End Mask

SWharton

If you're meaning the clear Diamond Shield type, I know quite a few owners had it removed after a few years because of mold under it. I'm one of those owners. Once you see the mold there's nothing you can do about it. I was told by Diamond Shield that they now offer a lifetime warranty, but without any guarantee that you won't have the mold problem. Plus even though they will replace the shield, they won't be liable for any paint damage with removal of the old shield. I saw personally a guy who tried to take it off himself ruin the front paint job. Cost him over $1800 to have the front painted. But if you're talking bra for the front, a lot of people have them. But a good idea is to have a really good wax job under the bra, and when not traveling take it off.

• 4 weeks later...

A ton of people have had a negative experience with the 3M Diamond Shield product, as described above: cracking, clouding, peeling, mold.

We are planning to order a new diesel pusher, and one of the details we'll choose is to omit the Diamond Shield. What we'll do instead is another question. A custom black vinyl "bra" would work, depending on the front cap design. I think the days of having a plexiglas barrier screwed to the front of the motorhome have passed. So, we may have to go with consistent and heavy application of Rejex or other wax products, which will help with bugs but not rock chips.

Not a great situation, but better than a raggedy looking clear film. So, no, IMHO it is not worth the money.

Roy

The previous owner of my MH had the front end done with the box liner spray in the colors of the MH. Its working out very well and is very tough. It looks so natural on there that no one even notices unless I point it out to them...then they look at it and are impressed.

The previous owner of my MH had the front end done with the box liner spray in the colors of the MH. Its working out very well and is very tough. It looks so natural on there that no one even notices unless I point it out to them...then they look at it and are impressed.

How about some pics?

Thanks

DICK

I've seen a couple different MHs with the OEM mask ( plastic ) . Both were badly checked/cracked and browning in the crevices . Makes the front end look pretty ugly on any lighter color . One had a darker portion and it was less noticeable , but still 'sore' .

When I read posts about the clear shield protection and the problems some folks have with it with mold, I look at their profile and always they live in the Midwest and South where it's humid.

We had our motorhome for 10 years with the clear shield protection and when we sold it it was in absolutely perfect condition. However, we traveled in the drier Western states. We also kept it clean from bugs, etc. and used 303 on it. It served us well.

I also saw a coach with a color matched LineX application to the front. I was surprised how well it matched the coach. I'm thinking seriously of having it done not only to the front, but the roof since you can now get it in white. Seems to me it will be pretty much maint. free.

Mariner,

I wonder how much weight that would add to the motor home?

I have no idea, but I don't believe it can be anymore than a regular EPDM roof. With some of the investigating I've done I found out that LineX will fix any problem you might have nationwide, but with Rhino you have to return to wherever it was put on for warranty work.

Archived