Shocks?

stolpsaddles

Looking to replace my shocks on a Western Star. Just wondering what you like for brands.

Saw some Monroe 65 or 70 available or is Gabriel better?

Thanks

2005 Western Star, MDE 4000 ,singled mid, 12' deck with Smart Car
Bison Stratus 3 horse with 16' short wall 12' slide out

http://www.spottedhorsegallery.com/
http://www.campingandhorses.com/

I'd be surprised if you'd be able to tell the difference. Assuming the shocks you have are well worn, anything will be a big (and noticeable) improvement.

If it were me, I'd go with whichever ones were cheaper.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

I put a set of Monroe's on my Volvo a couple of years back. I've been happy with them - good tire wear and control. Some contributors have indicated they are "too stiff" but since my old shocks were worn out I can't compare to new OEM shocks. Prices can vary considerably from different vendors. Some include shipping in price. Shop around before you put down your cash..

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Had my 610 in the front end shop last week, they found that everything was in great shape except the shocks and toe setting, adjusted the toe and I have ordered a set of Monroe shocks all the way around, when I get them installed and the truck on a good drive I will report on ride and drive quality.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after airing the tires all the way around to 110, and new shocks, it is some what better, but I am not happy with it yet.

I have Toyo steer tires and Stallen (spelling) drives in lug tread.

I am thinking of selling the drives to a car hauler, and putting the Toyo's on the rear with adding two more to make a full set, then putting Michelins on the steer axle.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated on this, as for dollars spent, I do want a great drive.

Also all tires have less that 10,000 miles on them, tire man stated the drive tires will squirm when new and will settle in after about 30 to 50,000 miles on them, not going to happen on my rig.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

For the Drive tires the lugs do cause squirming for a while. It's not the number of miles you have on the tire, but the number of hot and cold cycles. The rubber firms up with each cycle and then you sort of get used to it after a while too. I have less than 10000 miles on a new set of closed shoulder drives and they are steadily getting better. I plan to trade them in in a couple years and will have to start it all over again unless I can get someone to break the tires in for me for about 6 months before taking mine.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Archived