front end noise

Bronc

Had new tires and wheel alignment on a 2008 Cascadia couple days ago

Truck is driving fine but I can hear a noise in the front end,intermittingly when going straight,louder when I turn to the right

and the steering will have a slight shake.steer back left and no noise and steering wheel smooths out. Shop is going to look at it again but I

was hoping somebody on line might have a few suggestions. Thanks.

Oh boy. Before you drive another foot, inspect the front end as best you can for loose or badly installed components.

What parts, if any, did they replace when doing the alignment? Can you be there, (behind the yellow line) in the shop when they go into it again? Or have another shop take a look when on your way to the original shop, and get a quote what is wrong. Kinda like a second opinion from a doc.

I dont know what to make of the described symptoms. I can only assume that the new tires are bead seated ok? Knowing some of the quality of help at these shops now days,....or lack thereof, I have to ask, are the tires the right size?

I'm a work'n on it.

I have had two shops look at the front end. both said there is a little play in the king pins but not much,everything else checked out.

new shocks were installed.The tire shop in phoenix does really good work so I trust there work.

I had something similar going on when I bought the Volvo. Noise change pitch with speed. Got less when I turned right. On a high seed sharp right, it was completely gone. Smooth as a baby. Previous owner showed me the paper on a complete alignment. Said it was good to go. One the cross-country trip to bring it home, it got somewhat louder. Took it to a local alignment shop and the alignment still looked good but he did notice a little slop in the front left wheel bearing with the front end off the ground. It was one of those wheel bearing assemblies that has to be replaced as a unit. Cost would have been $1200 for parts. However, the shop had a good one laying in the corner with a broken ABS ring. Bought that for $200, came home, removed bearing and then heated the ABS ring until it was pretty hot and the thing slides right off, Transferred the ABS ring to the other one. Noise gone. Made a different truck out of it.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Bronc;

Before we get started, I have to ask! Have you signed up to "Access Freightliner"? If you did, then you know there was a service bulletin on trucks of your vintage about the same problems. And a few other items the factory is aware of. But I bet you know that, as a participant we all get the latest bulletins and recall notices.

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

L'iil Black Dog

I just looked at access freightliner and its 3 weeks until I can get a user ID. Are you aware of the service bulletins for the 2008 cascadias steering?

The wheel bearing idea is good.I'm going back to the tire shop soon so any info I can get will help with the trouble-shooting.Thanks.

Rod

Does Access Freightliner allow individual truck owners access? I'm trying to find my way around over there and every time I click on something it goes to the log in page. I finally found a number to call and got a recording that their system is experiencing problems and they have no idea when it will be working. I tried to fill out a contact help request form and it won't let me without my dealer code. I'm not a dealer.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Bronc & Bob;

When all else fails call the factory. 503-745-8000

Yes anyone who is a Freightliner owner can sign up!

Only use the latest version or you will get an error message.

Bronc;

I remember reading of aproblem with the hubs, this was not a full on recall but the people on "Access" were/are taken care of from whatI have heard. There is also a windshield / power management issue that shold be dealt with.

To all "F" brand owners for the upmteenth time......

Do yourself and your truck a favor and sign up to "ACCESSFREIGHTLINER". You will learn everything you need to know on your truck and have access to parts, wiring schematics and build sheets. Along with service and recall bullitins! This service alone is worth having a Freightliner, something Volvo owners do not have but bet they would love to have if offered! With "access" you have direct links to all out sourced parts as well. Engine, drivetrain you name it. You will be directly connected to their tech schematics. I can go on and on about the virtues of "AccessFreightliner" but it only elevates my "soapbox". You fellow Freightliner owners are the ones that will reap the benefits of belonging! I have "access" on my phone, tablet, laptop and desktop. Just in case I ever need it, for repairs or cross reference or just to see how it goes together or to do price comparisons. Oh there I go again, I will step off the soapbox!

Anyone needing more help past what I have offered over the years, start a new topic as I never check my PM and I'm sure there are others out there that need "enlightenment".

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Bronc & Bob and other Freightliner owners,

I forgot to mention, it's all FREE!

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Thanks for the prodding Curt. I'm pretty sure I tried to get access back in 2011. I found an old email reply from them telling me "welcome" and it had a user code. I tried to get in using that with no success. I called that number you told me and the gal there was helpful. But she wasn't exactly sure what I needed to do either. She also told me to try 800-385-4357 for tech support. I filled out the form to "order" access for a private owner without a dealer code. We'll see if that works. That's the 3 week wait one.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Bob;

I just try to push because it seems if one doesn't go through all the steps at one time, there is always a problem completing the process. I hope all that try follow it till they get access. It's a benefit of the product you own, and it's free! Any other Freightliner owners out there that are signed up? Please relate your experience with access....

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

went over the truck with the mechanic. wheel bearings are good,motor mounts look fine. we could get the truck to make the noise at

around 1400 rpm sitting still. it was enough vibration to make the floorboards vibrate.we thought possible muffler leak but didn't find one.

I'm sure the truck would be a lot quieter and smoother if we can figure out whats causing the noise and vibration. exhaust or motor?

Thanks

Rod

Hmmm.....new tires and alignment, and now you can make the noise and vibrate floorboards sitting still?

Next time you have the truck warmed up, run it to the 1400 or where it makes the noise and press in on the clutch. Does it change?

A bad harmonic damper can do this sort of thing. I dont know why any of this would start with new tires, but sometimes things work out that way. Look at the damper, if it has external dampening, and see if the rubber ring is in good shape, or even compare it to new.

Most accessories, power steering, air compressor, etc., are driven with the gear train up front of the engine. There is a splined coupler that connects them to the spined drive. This coupler can wear out and give issues just before complete failure. Perhaps look into it's condition if your engine has such a drive system.

Otherwise, I would look close at the engine fan and make sure the clutch and bearings are good.

This is an odd thing to diagnose. I can sure see it being very concerning as I would be a nervous wreck until I found it. Would'nt know if it were going to send me head on into traffic, or leave me stranded in the middle lane during rush hour. Hope you find it soon.

I'm a work'n on it.

Bronc;

What engine is in your truck? Does this happen anytime or just when it's not up to temp?

Curt

2 & 4 Wheelers!

Archived