Hyderaulic slide and landing gear pump motor

Slide and or landing gear stops moving. Let off of rocker type switch and then press again and slide moves again.

In cold weather I have seen the slide only move 6 inches at a time. I have been told that someone corrected this

problem by replacing the over current device with a higher rated one. I have checked the amperage draw while my

wife moves the slide and it shows 40 amps. I have been told that the pump motor can stand 100 amps. I would try

using an over current device with say 50 or 60 amp rating. My problem first is that I am unable to identify that

device in looking at the equipment that I can see. This is on Lippert equipment. I helped the situation by improving

the grounding of the motor and solenoid valves. This is on an 2013 5th wheel. I tried the dealer and they fixed several

items including this one my "punch" list but their fix did not solve this problem. We had some sour words and if at all

possible I want to find a fix and do it myself. That is my MO for the past 40 years. I have had several RV's but this is

the first with slides and landing gear. My trailers were tongue and an older model MH.

In our fifth wheel there are two 90a thermal breakers located in the battery compartment. Just follow the heavy red wires from the battery and disconnect switch. One for the slides and one for the Big Foot levelers. Each is about half the size of a pack of cigarettes. When they "pop" a small "flag" comes out the breaker side and sticks up, to reset you just push the "flag" back down. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

First call lippert at 1-574-537-8900 for tech support.

Three years ago a customer had called me with the same subject. On the Lippert system. It had a 50 amp fuse and would do the same thing. RV manufacturer at that time was somewhat difficult to deal with as no return phone call or email.

The customer was very unhappy camper. At me and Rv manufacturer. Well the RV manufacturer would not say what to do to fix subject problem. So what was I suppose to do.

Next time I saw him he had gone back to the Rv factory and they installed a 70 amp breaker. Fixed the problem. But no one every said anything for my time or frustration.

If needed I may be able to find his name and number for info.

The other problem was leaking jacks that would have a popping sound. Not at any specific time but the customer did notice it and it would loose a 1/8" on a jack over night. not every jack just the problem jack.

They finally after about two months of back and forth they said to replace a quart oil hydraulic oil with Caterpillar hydraulic additive. It solved the jacks moving and has solve a few more leaking jacks that I know of since then.

Safe Travels, Vern

In cold weather I have seen the slide only move 6 inches at a time.

That bit right there is important. Lippert uses auto transmission fluid as the hydraulic fluid. I too have had a problem with slides in cold weather and with some research found that ATF does get thicker in the cold and thus harder to pump. This is why a car or truck seems sluggish until the transmission warms up. I added a bottle of Lucas ATF conditioner to the reservoir and it does seem to help.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

In cold weather if your unit calls for auto transmission fluid. Change it out for Synthetic.

Then your popping will stop.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We had the stop and go issue with the Lippert hydraulic system. The auto breakers installed were 40 amp ones. The resolution from Lippert, and this is on units that have the larger wiring to the pump, is to replace the 40 amp auto reset breaker with an 80 amp manual reset breaker. The Lippert recommendation for using a hydraulic fluid additive, and this was for a popping coming from the system with their Level up system, is to use a stiction fluid additive, either a motorcycle fork oil, or the Cat fluid additive. Lippert also has fluid recommendations for their hydraulic systems, and what follows is copied and pasted from their Lipsheet 0291 (Do note the last statement at the bottom of the directions about never using Type F fluid):

LCI HYDRAULIC OPERATION FLUID RECOMMENDATION
Operation Conditions
1. Above Freezing
NOTE: Operation at air temperatures routinely above 0°C (32°F). *
A. Dexron 3/Mercon ATF
B. Mercon 5 ATF
C. Dexron 6 ATF
D. PetroBlend (Mason City, IA) PHO 0022S (synthetic group 3 base blend)
E. Bellman all temp 22 (Bremen, IN)
F. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point lower than -42°C (-45°F).
*Covers most initial OEM fills
2. Below Freezing
NOTE: Operation at air temperatures routinely below 0°C (32°F).
A. Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF
B. Royal Purple full synthetic ATF
C. Valvoline full synthetic ATF
D. Amzoil full synthetic ATF
E. PetroBlend (Mason City, IA) PHO 0022S (synthetic group 3 base blend)
F. Bellman all temp 22 (Bremen, IN)
G. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point lower than -42°C (-45°F)
H. Multivis (all temperature) iso 22 hydraulic fluid
I. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid (conventional or synthetic) with a pour point lower than
-46°C(-50°F).
3. Extreme Cold
NOTE: Operation at air temperatures routinely below -18°C (0°F).
A. Kendall Glacial Blue
B. Benz oil (Milwaukee, WI) Flomite 530
Or any conventional or synthetic ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point less than -57°C (-70°F) and viscosity
less than 2850 cP @ -40°C (-40°F ).
Do not use ATF-TYPE F fluid as it will not allow the seals to work properly.

Archived