Generator Oil

aunut

Our previous mh had the Cummins-Onan 7000 gas genie and we used 15w/40 Rotella or Tech 2000. Both available at Walmart. Cummins can get kind of picky if you don't use the recommended oil weights and a problems were to occur.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

There is no reason you cannot use 15W40 diesel oil in a gas engine. The main difference is, diesel oil has more additives to keep contaminants in suspension than oil for gas engines-and of course the weight designation.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Our Onan operator's manual simply recommends using an oil with an API rating of SF . No particular weight of oil other than what the chart of weight to temperature has .

Here is that chart . Note that it includes 15W40 . I have used diesel oil in gas motors with no ill effects .

oil%20chart_zps3yrz6mbc.jpg

Goes around , comes around .

I'd say then that any oil that meets or exceeds the SF rating (SF SG SH SJ SL SM SN) and matches the temp range expected is going to be fine.

I'd look for a GF-5 and SN rated oil as it is the latest spec for gas engines according to the PDF I linked above.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Our Onan operator's manual simply recommends using an oil with an API rating of SF . No particular weight of oil other than what the chart of weight to temperature has .

Here is that chart . Note that it includes 15W40 . I have used diesel oil in gas motors with no ill effects .

oil%20chart_zps3yrz6mbc.jpg

Looks like I do need 15w40 It gets pretty hot down here. But, I don't understand why 10w30 and 10w40 have the exact same ranges.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

Our previous mh had the Cummins-Onan 7000 gas genie and we used 15w/40 Rotella or Tech 2000. Both available at Walmart. Cummins can get kind of picky if you don't use the recommended oil weights and a problems were to occur.

The Rotella 15w/40 from Wal-Mart is what I've used on my Onan 5500. If you're picky you can purchase Onan's brand oil at either an Onan repair facility or Camping World. The choice is yours. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Oil topics are dangerous, but I'll throw in. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin, formulated for air cooled motors. It is a 20w50. It is available at Walmart in the motorcycle section.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

I have used the 20w50 for air cooled motorcycle oil in my 6.5 for the last 13 years.

After all the Onan is air cooled except the diesel ones.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

The Rotella 15w/40 from Wal-Mart is what I've used on my Onan 5500. If you're picky you can purchase Onan's brand oil at either an Onan repair facility or Camping World. The choice is yours. Dave.

I assume tht Rotella is made for diesels. But, according to other posts, it shouldn't matter?

The diesel API stuff shouldn't be an issue as long as the required SH rating is met or exceeded. You need to consult the charts to make sure of that unless it is marked on the can or jug.

It sounds like you want the best for your generator with out getting the wrong oil. Why don't you then get the Onan brand oil from an Onan repair facility or from Camping World? Then you have peace of mind. It will be costly but I think you only need 2 qts. so it isn't that much more. Dave.

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

It sounds like you want the best for your generator with out getting the wrong oil. Why don't you then get the Onan brand oil from an Onan repair facility or from Camping World? Then you have peace of mind. It will be costly but I think you only need 2 qts. so it isn't that much more. Dave.

You're exactly right. It's about a 50 mile round trip, but I think I'll bite the bullet.

A fifty mile drive each way when Amazon has it?

http://smile.amazon.com/Cummins-3265336-Onan-SAE-15W-40/dp/B00278MET8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425868461&sr=8-1&keywords=onan+oil

http://smile.amazon.com/MOTORHOME-TRAILER-AUTOMOTIVE-ENGINE-ONAN/dp/B000BRJV5W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425868461&sr=8-3&keywords=onan+oil

All said, dinosaur oil is pretty much dinosaur oil as long as the weight and APIs match or exceed your needs so I'd just buy something locally that meets your requirements.

http://smile.amazon.com/Cummins-3265336-Onan-SAE-15W-40/dp/B00278MET8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425868461&sr=8-1&keywords=onan+oil

http://smile.amazon.com/MOTORHOME-TRAILER-AUTOMOTIVE-ENGINE-ONAN/dp/B000BRJV5W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425868461&sr=8-3&keywords=onan+oil

All said, dinosaur oil is pretty much dinosaur oil as long as the weight and APIs match or exceed your needs so I'd just buy something locally that meets your requirements.

Stan,

You bring up a good point. Does the gen. manufacturer recommend or disallow synthetics? When I bought my Honda 2000i the dealer filled it with synthetic and that is what I have used since.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Seems a better deal here : http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/onan-generators/onamax.htm

I use the proper weight and rated dino oil in our Onan . Never a problem . It has a touch less than 800 hours on it .

Goes around , comes around .

Usually the manufacturer just ignores the synthetic issue unless they require it (for real or marketing reasons) and just give weights and API requirements.

I'm sure it is available cheaper many places, I just use Amazon as my default place to look for stuff I'll never buy because it confuses the heck out of their ad system. :-)

Stan brought up a good point. I also ordered my oil & filter from amazon. At the time gas was $3.50 a gal. & I would have to drive 70 mi. each way to get the oil& filter. So, it was actually cheaper to order it on line & have it sent to me in a couple of days. Now I keep a spare filter on board. Dave.

Stan,

You bring up a good point. Does the gen. manufacturer recommend or disallow synthetics? When I bought my Honda 2000i the dealer filled it with synthetic and that is what I have used since.

I did talk with Onan about synthetic oil. They said yes, but maintain service intervals.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

I'm a fan of using synthetic oil and changing it annually. With less than 2 quarts needed, the price is no factor. But I do the same for my motorhome Triton V-10 as well, so.........

I don't think you can necessarily equate "Onan" oil with "the best" oil. It is what they can buy at the lowest price, and I'm sure it's made for their label by some big-name company.

When in doubt, get some Mobil 1 at Wally World and off you go!

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

Archived