Roof vent lid

Yes. There are fairly standard sizes but the issue is the hinge. When replacing just the lids you have to make sure the hinge format will match up. Camco has a pretty full line-up. I would look HERE to get the model number you need, then shop around for the best deal.

You can even get lids at Lowe's and Walmart. Just check the hinge as pointed out already.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I would replace them but even if you do the vent covers mentioned by Duffman are a must for me. They have some that are slightly different and cheaper in that the "grill" area is not able to open. I have never had the kind that opens but I would try them if I ever replace one or get a new rig. I think I would be tempted to go with the ones that are "smoke" colored.

I have the MaxAir II's that give really good air flow and can be opened for cleaning and vent seal maintenance. I would never go back to permanently mounted covers.

I really like the translucent smoke covers as well. On bright sunny days they have a really nice "soft glow" lighting affect. :D

I used and like the Maxairll due to the larger opening. Used it with the Maxair fan, worked great. That cover allows you to leave the vent open all the time to keep it fresh inside.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

But don't you want to be able to close it if you're camping somewhere that gets cold?

I saw those vent covers on Amazon and they seemed pretty inexpensive. I was thinking about getting a pair of those after I fixed the lids. I imagine if we're camping in California in March that we want to close those at night.

So I guess that means I need to climb up there when I have a good weather forecast, remove a lid and bring it to Lowe's or Home Depot to see if the hinge matches up?

But don't you want to be able to close it if you're camping somewhere that gets cold?

I saw those vent covers on Amazon and they seemed pretty inexpensive. I was thinking about getting a pair of those after I fixed the lids. I imagine if we're camping in California in March that we want to close those at night.

So I guess that means I need to climb up there when I have a good weather forecast, remove a lid and bring it to Lowe's or Home Depot to see if the hinge matches up?

Yes. You're going to want to replace those lids, but generally you're vents will be open (and possibly a window cracked) to 'some' degree for ventilation and humidity control... even when it's cold out you're going to want some air exchange.

Taking one with you would certainly be the easiest. You could always just loosely tape a trash bag over the uncovered vent if you are concerned about bad weather.

One thing to consider when purchasing vent covers is the material they are made out of. Some of the less expensive covers will become brittle and crack. Decent vent covers are not at all a bad investment if you can afford a little better quality. As mentioned earlier.. covers that can flip open for cleaning are very desirable.

I agree with Bigjim. RV dealers can get you the right vent lid and, once you know which on you need, it's easy to find a supplier.

I replaced all three on my Heartland last year and got them on sale from my local RV place for about $15 each and installed them all in less than an hour.

If you have the crank handle version, you'll need assistance from a friend inside the RV so you don't have to climb up and down from the roof. It just makes things go so much faster.

I also agree with the previous comments about adding a vent cover over each of them. It is another inexpensive upgrade that provides great benefit. The vent covers are also much heavier plastic plus permit you to leave the vents open when traveling or during inclement weather.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

One of the best things about vent covers is they can keep you from screwing up by leaving the vent open and getting rain into the rv. When I first started the guy next to me left a vent open over his bed and took off on a 2 week trip without the trailer. Guess what he came back to. That convinced me. As soon as I was recuperated from my surgery I went to Camping World and bought some that I installed easily myself.

The Maxair covers go OVER the usual cover that cranks up and down. it keeps the opening water free even during blowing rain. During cold weather of course close the crank up covers and consider an insulating pillow to put in the opening, Camco carries that, pretty cheap.

The actual covers you get depend on the manufacturer as mentioned by others. (yes the hinge is usually the major difference and makes them easy to match). Once you have them identified they can be ordered for $10-$20 and are an easy replacement. the Camco covers will also protect them against hail and sun damage so that will be the last set you get to replace.

The info that Dutch has on the hinge area is what I used when I matched my covers, it was right on!

have fun.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

I'll do eBay if the seller has a good feedback rating, but I think I'm going to stop in at camping world first. It might be helpful to pay a little more and be sure I'm getting the right hinge.

I did find another diagram with really good hinge information on Amazon and thought I should post it. Look at the secondary picture on this item:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40161-40168-Unbreakable-Polycarbonate/dp/B0006JLU1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1425790528&sr=8-3&keywords=rv+vent+lid

• 3 weeks later...

My buddy climbed up on the roof and removed one so I'd be able to look at the hinge (as suggested here). The closest match I could find was 40160 from the Jenson ad above. It looks considerably different, but it's the right lid, so I thought I should post a few before and after pics in case someone else comes long someday looking for this information.

SIMG_1581.jpg

Notice that the metal sliding bit on the original is angled, where the new one is straight and shorter. Also, the new hinge is metal and the original is plastic.

There are instructions in the box, but to remove it you have to get that long thin rod out:

SIMG_1582.jpg

Mine had a pair of screws holding the rod in at each end. The screws don't work on the new lid so I will have to think of something else before we go on a long trip. Perhaps a dab of glue. Once the screw is out of the way, I used a very thin screwdriver to tap it out one side.

As an addition to my husbands post, I would suggest the you get smoked or non-clear covers. We like the smoked. It does let in light, but helps with the bright sun and the heat you can get from overhead. When we replaced ours, we found that the newer ones are not the quality of the 15 yrs old ones that were original. Lighter weight materials.

Pat DeJong

I wasn't sure about getting the smoked ones. That might have been nice. The ones I bought are "unbreakable polycarbonate". They are vastly superior to the ones that were on there, and they were only $4 more than the regular ones. The plastic is about twice as thick and very flexible. I'm only planning to keep this RV for one or two years so I don't think I'll be able to judge how well they hold up. I would expect that even junky ones would last longer than that.

The ones I bought are "unbreakable polycarbonate".

Very good choice. They outlive the OEM ones and will survive much more hail. Another thing you may want to consider is one of the vent covers that allow use of the vents while traveling and prevent rain entry if left open, such as this one shown. There are several brands and you can get them from Amazon. 31z-QrF-8lL._AA160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Very good choice. They outlive the OEM ones and will survive much more hail. Another thing you may want to consider is one of the vent covers that allow use of the vents while traveling and prevent rain entry if left open, such as this one shown. There are several brands and you can get them from Amazon. 31z-QrF-8lL._AA160_.jpg

I like your new avatar photo!

I have a vent cover like that over my third vent lid - the bathroom vent. It's busted up too, so I ordered this Camco 40421 Aero-Flo Roof Vent Cover when I ordered those lids, I just haven't installed it yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JLU22/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would have worked on it yesterday but my Father-in-Law came over and we fabricated a six foot high stairway for my kids outdoor play set. It's unexpectedly raining today so my wife and I threw a tarp over the RV. I need to seal the roof.

Archived