LED Bulbs -- L1156W and similar

Stan, you know way too much about applying make-up. :lol:

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

• 2 weeks later...

Received the 4 LED strips slated for replacing the tubes in two of the 18 inch fluorescent light fixtures. The installation was seamless, the whole procedure took about 15 minutes per fixture, including soldering the wires.

We switched one of them on and after about ten minutes, the glue on the double sided tape failed, due to heat. Out to my temporary shop, where I dug out some pieces of an old Erector Set (Mechano to you Brits) and bent them into a set of clips, held in place with screws.

I'm thinking of trying a couple dabs of JB Weld on the other one, on the ends and on the centre edges.

Opinions?

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

I have been buying my led replacements from Joe at Cabin Bright. I have been well satisfied with price, product, and customer service. https://www.cabinbright.com/

The prices are a lot less if you don't buy from someone trying to cater to the RV community. I've been redoing my fluorescents with LEDs as the ballasts fail. I just purchased two high power strips of warm white LEDs from https://www.superbrightleds.com/ for ~$13 each. Together they provide far more light than the fluorescent tubes did and they are rated for 9-16 volt automotive use.

Cabin Bright seems to justify his high cost with the statement that his aren't "strip lights" as if that's some kind of evidence they are better. As far as I can tell all it proves is that his are more expensive. I've been using stick on strips from Superbright under my cabinets for more than 3 years without any of them coming loose.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

JB Weld is non-conductive, and worked fine. The problem of the excess heat was solved by adding a couple heat sinks to the fixture, and drilling a fair number of vent holes. I'll have to do some tweaking on the next few to alleviate the problem. I've come up with a few ideas, These things are bright though... 7 inch long and 1/2 inch wide, it's insane how much light they put out.

2003 Newmar Dutch Star 3802

'98 Ford Ranger

Archived