:rolleyes: EXCITING VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY! Be part of the volunteer team with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service at Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery Visitor/Environmental Education Center! We are seeking volunteers to staff our center and assist in outreach activities May 2015 through 2016, staying a minimum of 3 months. Duties include: meeting/greeting the public, answering questions, assisting with cleaning (cleaning does include VC restrooms), help with special events, workshops and other outreach programs, leading tours and helping with field trips and day-to-day operation of the center gift shop, stocking brochure racks; etc. Volunteers receive a free deluxe campsite with water, electric, sewer, WiFi, laundry facilities and uniforms. Propane available during the winter months. Hours are 20 to 24 hours per week (2 -3 days), per person. We are centrally located (Jamestown, KY/Lake Cumberland) to many South Central Kentucky regional outdoor attractions. Also, seeking volunteers for our fish production program. Contact Moria Painter at 270-343-3797 or moria_painter@fws.gov. To lean more about Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery please visit our website http://www.fws.gov/wolfcreek/

Facts about WCNFH volunteer positions..pdf

What happened to the earlier comments on this location/position?

If I remember correctly one of our senior members had some interesting comments about this location.

Safe Travels!

As I recall one of our senior members grew grey hair over this conversation and was working towards bald ! :huh:

Hours are 20 to 24 hours per week (2 -3 days), per person.

This equates to 40-48 hours per week, for a couple, to receive a campsite with hookups. This IMO is taking advantage of volunteers by requiring too much and providing too little.

Hours are 20 to 24 hours per week (2 -3 days), per person.

This equates to 40-48 hours per week, for a couple, to receive a campsite with hookups. This IMO is taking advantage of volunteers by requiring too much and providing too little.

This comes up all the time, # of hours worked for a RV site. If you think it is too many hours, then don't consider the position. It comes down to each individual persons reason for VOLUNTEERING. Some do it for the satisfaction of doing something that they enjoy, not what they are recieving for the work. If all VOLUNTEERS looked at what material value they are getting for their work, there would not be a lot valuable work done. Think about it Habitat for Humanity, Hospital Volunteers, Local Soup Kitchens, what value do they get?

Rant over.

This comes up all the time, # of hours worked for a RV site. If you think it is too many hours, then don't consider the position. It comes down to each individual persons reason for VOLUNTEERING. Some do it for the satisfaction of doing something that they enjoy, not what they are recieving for the work. If all VOLUNTEERS looked at what material value they are getting for their work, there would not be a lot valuable work done. Think about it Habitat for Humanity, Hospital Volunteers, Local Soup Kitchens, what value do they get?

Rant over.

I agree 1000%. Why in the world do people have to negatively comment about the hours required for these positions? If you are not personally interested in the position, then don't apply. It is so very simple.

Trust me when I tell you that folks like us and Jean absolutely understand the concept of volunteering, and know exactly what we're getting in to. I don't think that we've worked as few as 48 hours in any week in any position that we've worked over the past five years. And yet, we don't feel the least bit taken advantage of. In fact, we enjoy what we do, where we stay, and the folks that we work with.

As far as the previous issue with "one of our senior members" having an issue at this facility, maybe it is time to let that one go, huh?? That was quite a while back, and the information posted clearly states (in bold print, no less) that "volunteers also perform all the maintenance and cleaning at the Visitor Center." Problem solved.

I predict that the Wolf Creek Fish Hatchery will get volunteers to fill these positions and that they'll have a great time. In spite of the negatively on this forum.

IRS Publication 526 speaks to much of this.

The government agencies that we volunteer for are not "qualified charitable organizations". And even for charitable organizations you generally cannot deduct the value of your time or services.

So the answer to your question is going to be no.

In my mind, if money is someones main (or even significant) motivator then volunteering is not a good option. Workcamping or simply camping and working a job accomplishes that more directly.

If I remember correctly one of our senior members had some interesting comments about this location.

You do remember correctly. As in the other place that she made that same add, my question still stands, is James Gray still the project leader for the facility? Researching further has proven that the answer is "yes" he is the man in charge. While the volunteer coordinator who lied to us is no longer on the staff there, we had a saying in the Navy that I believe applies here.

"It does not matter who is at the helm, if the ship should run aground it is always the captain's fault."

If you wish, drop me a note or PM and I'll be happy to suggest a few questions which I'd want answered before I'd consider going there and based upon our experience, you might want the answers in writing.

Question for those familiar with volunteering: Would you be able to take a charitable deduction for hours worked in excess of site value?

The answer is no. There are no special deductions for those of us who spend time as volunteers on public or charitable facilities, but we are also not required to pay income tax on the value of the RV site and utilities, which does amount to the same thing. You do not receive an IRS-1099 and no income is reported to the IRS, unless there happens to be a stipend. In that case the stipend is considered to be ordinary income and is fully taxable.

IRS Publication 526 speaks to much of this.

The government agencies that we volunteer for are not "qualified charitable organizations". And even for charitable organizations you generally cannot deduct the value of your time or services.

So the answer to your question is going to be no.

In my mind, if money is someones main (or even significant) motivator then volunteering is not a good option. Workcamping or simply camping and working a job accomplishes that more directly.

Thank you for the answer. I'm not interested in the position, it was asked from idle curiosity.

I don't know exactly the rules of how this works but I had a position that paid per diem that was not reportable and in another case I got a mileage reimbursment that was not reportable. The per diem was at $45. a week and I got my host site and what utilities were available. One site had regular electricity, water and a dump. One site had solar which I had to manage so I wouldn't "run out" so to speak and water had to be hauled, and a dump, but it sure was an interesting site.

If you wish, drop me a note or PM and I'll be happy to suggest a few questions which I'd want answered before I'd consider going there and based upon our experience, you might want the answers in writing.

With respect: Kirk, Sorry you had that experience. I followed it closely when it happened, and according to your side of the story, you were wronged. No doubt.

Didn't this happen YEARS ago?

Over the past 3 years, I have been become acquainted with Mr. Gray and he is a fine "captain."

Being an optimist I hope things have changed by now.

Getting your agreement in writing is a solid idea, no matter where you volunteer. It helps clarify and define the exact duties.

Didn't this happen YEARS ago?

It will have been 5 years since the incident with them in June. And there have been changes in that they now do state that cleaning is required, which was not the case when we were there, but that was on the volunteer coordinator. Gray made it pretty clear when we met him at the KY state fair a couple of weeks before we arrived on site that he was not happy with us. While he would never say the reason why, he was cold to us before we even arrived on site and we believe that we know the reason, but will not discuss it publicly, but would via private message because we base our views on rather circumstantial evidence.

It is true that sometimes people do change significantly and Gray may be on of those who do, but it is also possible that you may be one of those he happens to like as not everyone was treated badly when we were there, but we were not the only ones either. We know of two other Escapees who have left there early.

If you read my reply in both threads, I didn't make any accusations of direct remarks in either one, only offered those who contact me some advice about what to be sure of before you go. We had volunteered at 8 USFWS sites before we went there and have been to 2 more since that time and we still consider them to be the very best agency over all to volunteer with. Perhaps Gray just took a dislike to us, who knows but that doesn't change the fact that his volunteer coordinator lied to us claiming that only "spot cleaning" would be required, when in fact the volunteers were the only janitors for the office/visitor center complex and when visitation was light we were expected to work at cleaning. That in spite of the fact that our resume has contained a clear statement that we do not clean public restrooms as a volunteer position, and it was in the one sent to them, even in bold print.

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, but I believe that those of us who didn't like it there are also.

Kirk,

Certainly, you have your opinion, and I have mine. That is perfectly acceptable.

I just wanted to point that out and everyone has their own view of each volunteer job and supervisor.

Ironically, the openings at USFWS facilities is usually more hours than I am willing to work for a free

site.

As there are not that many openings at that location, it can't be all bad.

Apparently not!! Remind me not to get on Kirk's bad side!! :blink:

NO ! It was this manager that screwed him over and as long as he is there as manager then as far as any intelligent Escappee is concerned GRAY let his mouth overload his ass and he can find another website to try to sell this position. bygones be bygones ? HELL NO UNPREGNANT ?

Has Gray offered an apology and asked to compensate Kirk for his exspenses

NO ! It was this manager that screwed him over and as long as he is there as manager then as far as any intelligent Escappee is concerned GRAY let his mouth overload his ass and he can find another website to try to sell this position. bygones be bygones ? HELL NO UNPREGNANT ?

Has Gray offered an apology and asked to compensate Kirk for his exspenses

What a strong response from someone who was not involved in the disagreement.

I don't see any reason that Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery shouldn't continue to post their volunteer opportunities on the Escapee website. As a full-time volunteer and "intelligent Escappee" (sic) I am capable of making my own volunteer decisions without having postings censored based on a single member's bad experience.

But as noted above a couple of times, if YOU are not interested in the position (for whatever reason), don't apply.

I don't see any reason that Wolf Creek National Fish Hatchery shouldn't continue to post their volunteer opportunities on the Escapee website. As a full-time volunteer and "intelligent Escappee" (sic) I am capable of making my own volunteer decisions without having postings censored based on a single member's bad experience.

But as noted above a couple of times, if YOU are not interested in the position (for whatever reason), don't apply.

They could beg me and I would not work for them and just because I'm not applying doesn't mean I can't put in my two cents worth ! Kirk has nothing to gain by his statements so no reason for him to lie. I personally believe him. I had a similar situation and YES if I got the chance I would warn potential employees....multiplegins :blink:

X2 Well said.

Archived