Indianapolis State Fairgrounds

jpontius

We're looking for Memorial weekend trip ideas and I stumbled across Indianapolis State Fairgrounds http://www.in.gov/statefair/fairgrounds/accommodations.html Anyone camped here or familiar with it? We have a 30' TT and tweenage kids. Just looking to hangout in Indy, check out some museums and things downtown. No reservations is a little scary, but they do have 170 sites so maybe it would be okay...

Memorial Day weekend is also the time for the Indianapolis 500. When we stayed there over the Memorial Day Weekend a few years ago, they had dirt track races all weekend at the fairgrounds. I'm pretty sure we had reservations for our full hookup site. At that time, all the full hookups were back ins along a perimeter fence that I believe was along the West side of the fairgrounds. I would at least call to see if they will take a reservation.

We have stayed at the State Fairgrounds several times during Memorial Day weekend. No reservations are taken or needed. Just drive in off of Fall Creek Parkway directly toward the Tom Raper RV Camp. There is no longer the Hoosier Hundred on the dirt track - there are some small midget cars that do a race. When you get there, instead of parking along the western edge (beside the Monon Trail), take the loop road north, then along the northern edge until you reach an area of about 8-10 full hookups on the grass. We try to get one of several that are under some large trees. The same group will be there, about 4 units that always pick this spot.

Thom & Barb Feit

2000 HR Imperial

Mesa, AZ (formerly of Indianapolis)

We always used the Fairgrounds in May for the 500. Never had reservations. I don't know about recently but Camping World, Airstream, and several other outfits would have rallies there for the 500. Always worked well for us, but if not going to the 500 and or parade, I believe I'd change my weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend INDY Lakes CG . Call NOW if you want to stay in/near Indy, it is a popular CG on the South side of Indianapolis, about 5 miles South of I465. Virtually every RV park/CG within 80 miles will be full Memorial Day weekend, and almost all state park CG's are already full through reserveamerica.com. I live 50 miles South of Indy, near Bloomington, all the motels will be full, CG's full, even the fishing lodges around Lake Monroe will have few vacancies.

If you still come, do not pass up the American Indian museum in Indy. (I can't even pronounce the name, much less spell the name)

Archived