What the most expensive daily rate you've seen?

4Girls&aMan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you posters with the $20 and less rate not on full hookup but site only? We've been all over the country and with our Sam's discount or AAA rates have been $28-$32 for full hookup - and these are on the cheap end with small sites, usually minimal amenities on site and the location not convenient, but full hookup. Just wondering if you all have The Secret List from the Escapees Club? Thank you in advance.

In our first 3 years full timing (with 4 children on board) we keep our average nightly cost well under $20/night for full hook sites. We used Passport America, Good Sam once or twice and shopped carefully. Our present average nightly rate is under $16/night - but we aren't moving around as much so we are getting monthly rates rather than paying the nightly ones. We did stay at SKP parks and COOPs and they are a great deal with great neighbors!

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

In our first 3 years full timing (with 4 children on board) we keep our average nightly cost well under $20/night for full hook sites.

Robert, when I hit the road I need to stop by and get some lessons from you. I must stay at too many tourist resorts.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

My last trip (304 days) with a mix of commercial, BLM & state & county parks averaged $22.41 per night. Least expensive (with hookups) $0.00 @ O'Neill City Park, NE, Most expensive $65.46 @ St Mary KOA, MT. A spreadsheet of all site costs is here. The most expensive campsite I've ever stayed in was another KOA in Ontario, Canada - just under $100.00...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

We usually spent $150 or so for a WalMart night!

Ron

Slow down. You are a little high.

WalMart has reported that the average overnighter spends $87.00 :)

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

My last trip (304 days) with a mix of commercial, BLM & state & county parks averaged $22.41 per night. Least expensive (with hookups) $0.00 @ O'Neill City Park, NE, Most expensive $65.46 @ St Mary KOA, MT. A spreadsheet of all site costs is here. The most expensive campsite I've ever stayed in was another KOA in Ontario, Canada - just under $100.00...

That's a nice group of campgrounds. We've been to quite a few. Public parks are always our first choice!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

There is a "secret" list available for Escapees members. It is called "Days End" . There are other websites which list free or low cost places to park an RV. Search for "free campgrounds".

Passport America will get you an under $20 rate at many places with full hookups. There are restrictions though. Many times no weekends or only one night, or off season only.

National Forest, some National Parks, many BLM, lots of small towns, have campgrounds for $20 or lower. Other than some of the small towns no elect at the under $20 rate. Many times there are dump stations available and fresh water to fill your tank.

Not that anyone would exaggerate the number of RV Parks that they stay at for $20 or less.

Personally we spend very few nights at private RV Parks, crammed into small sites with only the view of the RV next to you. Our RV, as most all RV's are, is self contained, so we have little need for water and sewer hookups. We have also worked to improve our house battery capacity and battery charging setup, along with an inverter to run the TV and computers so electricity is a luxury, not a necessity. This way we really don't need to stay at RV Parks.

Thanks Al and Sharon for your answer. We've had some bad luck in various states with private parks and usually aim for the State Parks, so we're spending $30 something off season, but we some hopes of cleanliness and function. Haven't found anyone to recognize Escapees for a discount, so we do have GoodSam, have dropped AAA after leaving us stranded in Virginia on a holiday weekend, and will look into the Passport and see where that may cover. We're relatively new to this group and not full time yet, so still reading here and exploring. Lots to do as we are looking to change rigs, register it out of state, etc. I've been told in the area of the southeast where we are to beware of the national forests - nice, but loaded with four-wheelers roaring through the woods day and night, groan. Just as a side note, we were camping in one of SC's state parks last week and it seems the trend down here is: no soap, no paper towels, no dryer/blower. Anyone finding this trending in other states? When I signed up for Escapees I was told that Escapees had no immediate intentions of expanding in the southeast. And, thanks everyone for your hints on where to find cheaper ratesl

There is a "secret" list available for Escapees members. It is called "Days End" . There are other websites which list free or low cost places to park an RV. Search for "free campgrounds".

Passport America will get you an under $20 rate at many places with full hookups. There are restrictions though. Many times no weekends or only one night, or off season only.

National Forest, some National Parks, many BLM, lots of small towns, have campgrounds for $20 or lower. Other than some of the small towns no elect at the under $20 rate. Many times there are dump stations available and fresh water to fill your tank.

Not that anyone would exaggerate the number of RV Parks that they stay at for $20 or less.

Personally we spend very few nights at private RV Parks, crammed into small sites with only the view of the RV next to you. Our RV, as most all RV's are, is self contained, so we have little need for water and sewer hookups. We have also worked to improve our house battery capacity and battery charging setup, along with an inverter to run the TV and computers so electricity is a luxury, not a necessity. This way we really don't need to stay at RV Parks.

Thanks Al and Sharon for your answer. We've had some bad luck in various states with private parks and usually aim for the State Parks, so we're spending $30 something off season, but we some hopes of cleanliness and function. Haven't found anyone to recognize Escapees for a discount, so we do have GoodSam, have dropped AAA after leaving us stranded in Virginia on a holiday weekend, and will look into the Passport and see where that may cover. We're relatively new to this group and not full time yet, so still reading here and exploring. Lots to do as we are looking to change rigs, register it out of state, etc. I've been told in the area of the southeast where we are to beware of the national forests - nice, but loaded with four-wheelers roaring through the woods day and night, groan. Just as a side note, we were camping in one of SC's state parks last week and it seems the trend down here is: no soap, no paper towels, no dryer/blower. Anyone finding this trending in other states? When I signed up for Escapees I was told that Escapees had no immediate intentions of expanding in the southeast. And, thanks everyone for your hints on where to find cheaper ratesl

Just one example of saving money on a full hookup campsite: We spent the month of February at the SKP owned Sumter Oaks RV Park in Bushnell, FL for about $13.50/night including taxes and electric.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Just one example of saving money on a full hookup campsite: We spent the month of February at the SKP owned Sumter Oaks RV Park in Bushnell, FL for about $13.50/night including taxes and electric.

How can a campground survive at those rates? Electric alone would eat up a large part of that rate!

In order to maintain a nice surrounding, someone has to pay the freight. Seems that competing on price leads to a downward spiral.

How can a campground survive at those rates? Electric alone would eat up a large part of that rate!

In order to maintain a nice surrounding, someone has to pay the freight. Seems that competing on price leads to a downward spiral.

Several of the parks I have stayed at have monthly rates less than $400 (below $13.50 per day). The park I spend my winters in is $300 per month (about $10 per day) and it is a very nice park with full services which turns a pretty good profit. Electricity there averages less than $100 per month per site during even the worst winter (according to the owner).

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The electric at Sumter Oaks and other SKP owned parks is metered for the monthly rate, so you pay for what you use. Our electric bill for the month was only $37, but A/C use was minimal in February when we were there. The club owned parks are staffed by work campers, with volunteer help for activities, etc., keeping the overhead low. I'm sure the parks are not seen as a major profit center, but rather as a self-sustaining member benefit.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 1 month later...

Glad we primarily boondock (dispersed camping) on BLM/Forest Service land. Otherwise we mootchdock (pormanteau of boondocking and mootching) in our kids' and other family's backyards. Currently at older son's place at 7800' in mountains above Las Vegas, NM. Will be here for a while since Elaine is setting up for full knee replacement surgery. Son is on 38 acres of forest land, adjacent to another 200 acres belonging to in-laws. The boundary of Pecos Wilderness is 3 km from here. There is a beautiful view of Hermit's Peak and a lot of birds (hummers are draining the feeders) and son and family have three great dogs, two great cats and two grumpy Llamas. Took the dogs along for a walk this morning and the Llamas wanted to go with us but they can be high management along a road. They went down to the gate with us and were sorely annoyed that they did not go with us.

Reed and Elaine

• 1 month later...

If I'm not mistaken, Campland on the Bay in San Diego has some premium beach front sites that go for over THREE HUNDRED PER DAY (That's Day for $300+ NOT a Week)

Actually their best site is $301.62 PER DAY Will we see you there????????????????? lol

http://www.campland.com/reservations/rates

Our son is in San Diego and we have stayed there dry camped for around $40 per day

We do a lot of dry camping on Natl Forest or BLM or Army Corps or Water Management Districts or Fish & Wildlife for free to maybe 5 or 6 bucks per day with our Senior and Access Passes. But that requires our Solar Panels and Battery Bank and extra water capacity etc etc.

John T

Duffman, there are no rv parks in Key West!

There are two, one is in the middle of the city, filled with older permanent set trailers. The other is NASKW, which used to be Sigsbee Island Navy CG with FHU and dry camping sites. Boyds is on the next island NE of Key West.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If I'm not mistaken, Campland on the Bay in San Diego has some premium beach front sites that go for over THREE HUNDRED PER DAY (That's Day for $300+ NOT a Week)

Actually their best site is $301.62 PER DAY Will we see you there????????????????? lol

http://www.campland.com/reservations/rates

Our son is in San Diego and we have stayed there dry camped for around $40 per day

We do a lot of dry camping on Natl Forest or BLM or Army Corps or Water Management Districts or Fish & Wildlife for free to maybe 5 or 6 bucks per day with our Senior and Access Passes. But that requires our Solar Panels and Battery Bank and extra water capacity etc etc.

John T

Check out Santee Lakes, or Chula Vista RV Resort. Chula is more expensive, but it's not anywhere near Campland. Santee is more reasonable. We've stayed there for a month once and it was fine. There's another, I think it's San Diego KOA, but have never stayed there.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

• 2 months later...

The most expensive place we've stayed....is one we've yet to stay at! I have booked reservations for us to "blow the budget" this January for 2 weeks at key Largo campground. That will set us back close to $45/night, which tops out all of the other places we've ever stayed. And.....we were lucky that our unit is small because for that, we get a tent site, with electric and water only. :)

Actually their best site is $301.62 PER DAY ...

You missed the summer rates, up to $404 per day. BUT, you do get a whirlpool spa and laundry facilities. :rolleyes:

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

It is getting hard to find a acceptable CG for 20.00 per day even with PA. We have a nice Rv with all the goodies and we like to use them. We prefer pull through, full hook up 50 amps. We did spend a couple of days in "Q" and that will be out last couple of night s there.

We find the average cost of a CG acceptable to us is in the 35 to 45 $$ range when on the road.If we are in a area to visit we will seek weekly rates at a lower cost but still what we prefer.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived