What Are Your Small Kitchen Appliances of Choice?

SpaceNorman

They are a bit different in my opinion, an electric skillet is usually pretty thin metal with a single loop heating element. That requires a lot of stirring and attention to your heat settings, easing them up to the proper level rather than just cranking it to the heat you want to avoid a scorched ring on the pan bottom. Once up to heat the skillet is less prone to scorching unless it is really full and what you are cooking is pretty thick.

With the induction unit you may well have a thicker pan and you will have more even heating of the pan bottom so there is less likelihood of scorching anything. What you are missing is the temperature based control so you'll have to monitor that and adjust the power level manually to keep it where you want.

Recipes should be very similar varying only in watching the temp on the induction unit.

With the induction units. It's the vessel you place on the unit that heats up. You cannot heat anything without a magnetic surface that is activated. I do find on my larger skillet or large pot the outer edge remains cooler for quite a while apparently extending outside of the induction coil. If I am making an omelet I try to remember to preheat the pan before pouring in the eggs. With the pot there isn't as much of an issue as I am usually simmering something for a long enough time that the heat radiates to the edges. If you like to sear remember to choose a vessel that fits the coil and you will have a very even sear.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Stan,

The newer induction tops that I've seen all have a temperature setting. In fact that is one of their selling features - set your desired temperature and that is it.

Jerry,

Yes, the same recipes will work just fine.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Trimmed quotes:

I have an 1800W portable induction top that allows very fine temperature adjustment (1-100).

Jerry L
2008 Country Coach 38' Allure 470

Stan,

The newer induction tops that I've seen all have a temperature setting. In fact that is one of their selling features - set your desired temperature and that is it.

Barb

His apparently does not have that which is why I said what I did.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We're getting ready to full time in a couple weeks. I'm taking my bread machine (because it makes my dough for pizza and rolls), a 2 cup mini food processor, hand mixer, toaster. The 5er comes with a microwave/conv oven. That's it appliance wise. I did just get my nesting cookware set. Wow! Those are awesome!

It's all fine and dandy until someone's marshmallow catches fire!

2015 Ford F-250 6.2L (She ain't diesel but she hauls ass!)

2012 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

Http://www.5thwheelgypsy.blogspot.com

I really appreciate all the comments on this topic! I've asked a couple of these sorts of questions so far (this one on appliances and another regarding dishes). Everybody's responses have been helpful - in some cases because they've mentioned a product that I wasn't familiar with, in other cases - it's been the explanations about why something worked or didn't work for them. I enjoy when comments are all over the map ... as well as when some clear patterns emerge. And ... I won't lie, I like it when I realize that my own initial thoughts are reasonably in sync with comments from folks who have more experience with RVing that I do.

I think that in addition to the stuff that comes with the coach - which in our case includes a Convection / Microwave oven, a 2 burner LP stove top - we're going to try to start off with a coffee maker, crock pot, electric frying pan, maybe a small toaster oven - and a gas grill for outside use. With the exception of the toaster oven - we use everything on the list on a regular basis. I'm sure we'll tweak it if we find it necessary.

We (wife and I) found consensus pretty quickly on the question of appliances. I think keeping the list of the specialty kitchen toys under control is going to be the tough one. We tend to play in our kitchen at home (we both like to cook) - so there are a lot of little things tucked up in cupboards that we'll have to weed out. I'm hoping my wok makes the cut! grin.gif

The Spacenorman

2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43' DFT

2012 Jeep Liberty

Our Travel Website: www.penquinhead.com​

When it comes to coffee makers, we've found a basic Mr Coffee 12-cup drip model works best for us. No bells or whistles, just an "On/Off" rocker switch, so very little to fail. It also serves us well when we don't have shorepower available and can't or won't start the generator. When that happens, we just heat a pan of water on the LP stove and pour it through the filter basket. The hot coffee goes in an insulated carafe, regardless of how we made it.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 3 weeks later...

Something I use all the time is a Cuisinart Smart Stick, which came with enough accessories that I offloaded the full-size blender and rarely rarely get the food processor out (if space were limited I'd get rid of it).

The Smart Stick is an immersion blender; use it to cream or puree soups right in the pot. Makes hummus right in a serving bowl in about 90 seconds, etc. and you just have to rinse it off.

It came with a whisk and large measuring cup which I use all the time to make fresh salad dressing - again in seconds.

The last attachment was a small food processor/chopper that maybe holds 2 cups and is powered by the Smart Stick. I use it often, but not all the time.

All told, these items fit in a small drawer with other long things, i.e., the flashlight, grill lighter, and a few other small appliances. The convection oven and coffee pot notwithstanding, the Smart Stick and the electric skillet are the appliances I use the most often and I cook all the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-79-200-watt-Immersion-Attachments/dp/B00AN9UJ68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426979711&sr=8-2&keywords=cuisinart+smartstick

If you do give up your big blender, Hamilton Beach makes one in a personal size which runs about $16 at Walmart. Takes up just a little more space than a travel mug, and has lasted several years. Does a good job with ice cubes, frozen fruit, vegies, etc. for smoothies.

ELECTRIC SKILLET: A few other benefits

It's square, which makes it easier to cook more items at once than will fit in a round skillet, like four grilled cheese sandwiches, or a pound of bacon.

My stove top has a cover that turns into extra counter space. If I just use the electric skillet, which is much smaller than the stove top, I have more counter space to prep dinner.

The electric skillet has more capacity and higher sides that my regular skillet. Makes stir fries and layered dinners a snap. (Ummm, think chicken and dumplings.) I probably use it 2 or 3 times a week at least.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with our Artic Fox is too much cupboard space! So, we tend to fill them up, right? We have a small Waffle Maker, Toaster, Coffee Maker, Coffee Grinder, My

favorite is a non-powered device, The Mukka Express that makes Lattes or Mochas on the stove top. They're made by Bialetti.

+1 on the induction cooktop. It has several advantages and takes the place of a skillet. We've had this model for two years.

We are very happy with the Magma nesting cookware as well.

Our Melita pour-thru coffeemaker allows the use of gas or electric. But, you do have to manually pour the water.

One clever item we use a lot is a boilover safeguard.

2014 DRV Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

2013 Ford F350

http://where-rv-going.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

This is exactly the decision I'm struggling with.

For us, electric kettle (I'm English and would never be without an electric kettle), coffee grinder, toaster, and bread machine are top of the list. A stick blender. We use a Melitta as well for pour over coffee into an insulated pitcher (or straight in the cup if we're in a rush) so no coffee machine.

And then take or leave the crockpot? It's big, don't use it constantly, but when you want one you really wish it was there. I"m considering buying a fancier multi-cooking type that sautes and steams as well as slow cooking. Make the "big" small appliance really justify its space!

I do have an induction cooktop but I've not used it that much and thinking I will sell both it and my slow cooker and buy the fancier multi-cooker.

Trying not to take too many electric must-haves, so my spice grinder went and I"m looking about for a low tech version, either a mortar and pestle (but they're heavy!) or some other non-electric grinder. If anyone has suggestions for that would love to hear them.

LInda & Robert

1999 U270 Foretravel 34'

2004 Acura MDX

no furry travelers yet, but soon

I carried the crockpot along for the first four years and never took it out of the cabinet. It moved home permanently last year. My must-haves: 11" electric skillet, electric kettle, small magic-bullet-type blender, small hand mixer, small toaster and small coffee maker. Pan-wise, I have a big saucepan, a small saucepan, large skillet, small skillet and a small cast iron dutch oven I can't live without. I also have a huge pot to boil crabs, etc. but I store things in it and stuff it away where it's not in the way.

When we're in a park for a few days and not paying for electricity, I use the electric skillet to save the gas. When we're staying for a month and paying for electricity, I use the gas stove. My gas oven works very well, so no need for any other oven except for the microwave.

Archived