advice on buying a Garmin GPS?

defboater

We have decided on a Garmin GPS 760LMT after many months of research. Has anyone had any bad experiences with Amazon?

Any advice on the best time of year for sales or place to buy this pricey GPS?

Advice and suggestions appreciated! :rolleyes:

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

We have decided on a Garmin GPS 760LMT after many months of research. Has anyone had any bad experiences with Amazon?

Any advice on the best time of year for sales or place to buy this pricey GPS?

Advice and suggestions appreciated! :rolleyes:

Never had a bad experience yet with Amazon. I have never noted a seasonal price fluctuation in GPS pricing, although I suppose you might find some sales at times. That is the model that we went with after a lot of research, as well.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

We like the 760 and had no problem with Amazon. Best time to buy is probably after it's been replaced with a couple new models if you want to wait a long time. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

We've bought tons of stuff from Amazon and made a few returns without any problems.

They are a good vendor.

Their warehouse deals offer some good values.

Another technique is to put an item on your Amazon Wish List. Wait a few days or weeks and check back on it in your wish list. They will sometimes drop the price one or more percent to entice you to buy.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I am a Prime member so the following is biased. Amazon is outstanding!

On the Garmin, expect to pay between $320-$340 (minus shipping) for the base unit. Best deal on Amazon was $330 with free shipping (oddly enough, an affiliate store listed on Amazon). EBay is showing them at $300, also with free shipping. This price window seems to have been holding steady for the past 2 years with only minor fluctuations +- 5%. Significantly higher prices are usually due to add-ons and accessories and IMO these are not necessary/needed. If you find you really must have them they can be purchased later.

One item we found we did need to get after the sale was a bean bag mount and we found one that I believe is much better than the Garmin model at about half the price on clearance at Radio Shack.

I highly recommend Amazon as reputable; having a very generous/lenient return policy and willing to ensure the customer is happy. YMMV

Berkshire XL 40QL

Camphosting and touring

I am a Prime member so the following is biased. Amazon is outstanding!

I highly recommend Amazon as reputable; having a very generous/lenient return policy and willing to ensure the customer is happy. YMMV

I agree! We have had Prime for a little over 3 years now. Two day delivery is great and it let's us get things where ever we are as long as we are someplace for a few days. They may not give you free return shipping on something if the problem is not their fault, but even that is subject to what exactly the problem is. I have spoken with them on a few occasions when something did not arrive at the specified time and they have extended our Prime membership without me even asking for it. The DW teases me that Amazon has replaced Lowes or Sam's Club as my favorite place to shop.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I have enjoyed my Garmin 760 for almost a year. As I recall, I purchased a recon/refurbished unit for about $250. I believe I purchased it from Amazon. The only difference I can see in this recon unit and a new one is the plain brown box that the recon unit came in. My unit had no marks or any indication it was refurbished.

Before I retired, I worked for a major power tool manufacturer. People would return tools after they finished their project. The tools usually were good with no problems other than the customer no longer wanted to own it any longer. As a manufacturer we checked the product out to make sure it worked OK and then we had to sell it as a recon/refurbished unit. There are some good values out there in recon/refurbished units. You know that a human has looked it over and made sure it works.

Warren & Sandy

2006 New Horizons 36 ft 5ver

2003 Freightliner FL60 - Mountain Master conversion

Which ever GPS you choose, I agree on selecting the LMT (lifetime Maps and Traffic) options - I download updates a couple of times each year, and it takes an hour or more but worth while to keep the maps and data up to date. Also the Traffic feature is a great aid for passing through cities.

I also endorse the bean bag mount - I take my GPS and the bean bag when I travel and use it in rental cars.

When choosing a model look for which maps are included - and get what you need - some models are lower 48 only, or lower 48 plus Mexico, while others include 50 states plus Canada and maybe Mexico.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

Archived