How do I calculate the inverter / batteries / Solar panel thingy?

MoonTimber

The AutoZone alternator was not a match for my wiring, but they sent me to a local rebuilder who had one that would give me 110 amps. He also gave me an upgraded rectifier, which is a small plug with three wires that plugs into the side of the alternator. Visually it is identical to the rectifier currently in the harness. He told me to cut out the original rectifier out and save it, because if I ever break down away from home and need to buy a stock 75 or 80 amp alternator I will need to put the original rectifier back in. So this created a few new questions.

1) What is a rectifier?

2) Do I really need to put the original rectifier back in if I am forced to use a stock alternator someday?

3) Can I splice the new one in and leave the old one hanging in the harness, or will that create some kind of indirect problems?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep you eyes pealed for some good used panels. I got started with 4 used 75 watt panels at a price I couldn't turn down and they worked swell for a couple of years until I bought some new ones and sold the used ones I bought for lower than I paid due too additional time I used them but at that they offset the price of the new ones. They were take offs and had an estimated remaining life of about 10yrs.

1) What is a rectifier?

Its what changes AC into DC since an alternator produces AC and DC is required to charge the battery and power DC loads. This assumes its the typical rectifier used in the alternator.

2) Do I really need to put the original rectifier back in if I am forced to use a stock alternator someday?

If the new one physically fits and if its the same plus wires the same but the ONLY difference is it has higher current rated diodes, I don't see any reason why it still wont work. BUT IT HAS TO FIT AND HAVE THE SAME WIRING CONNECTIONS AND BE THE SAME OTHER THEN IT HAS HIGHER CURRENT RATED DIODES (assumes voltage withstand ratings are all okay)

3) Can I splice the new one in and leave the old one hanging in the harness, or will that create some kind of indirect problems?

Sure its electrically possible HOWEVER unless your an excellent electrician and can make good quality low resistance splices and connections I WOULDNT ADVISE IT

John T

Archived