Canyon de Chelly - Cottonwood Campground - 40'?

Smitty77_7

We're doing some route planning, and wanted to check with anyone that had been to the Cottonwood Campground on their opinions of taking a 40' into the area?

I called the Navajo Parks and Recreation, and the lady that answered the phone said that she thought we'd access it OK. But then asked someone else, and from what I could hear, that person thought some of the turns were pretty tight for a larger rig. (Heard just enough, that I thought I should check with others that had been to the campground:)!

TIA,

Smitty

It has been several years since we have been there. There are rocks and trees at some of the turns in the loop roads. The sites are all different sizes and not all oriented the same off the access roads. There were some larger motorhomes there when we were and if I recall correctly they were in loops 1 & 2. Most of the sites are outlined with good size rocks so you can not extend the rear of the RV past the end of the pad. The problem we had at 55' long was that all of the longer spur sites were taken. That was before the tribe took over management of the campground and even though there was a host at that time, the host did not try to match the rig to the size of the parking spur. I don't know how or if they assign sites now or not. Take a look at Google Maps.

First loop on the left! We stayed 7 years ago in our then 37' fifth wheel Toyhauler with a total length of 53'. There was plenty of room but I did stop at the entrence and walked the loop. You shouldn't have any problems but watch the trees. GREAT LOCATION!!!!!!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

We too are planning a trip this summer to this area and are wondering how US Hwy 191 from Eagar, AZ south to Guthrie, AZ (through Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest) is? Looks pretty curvy on the map . . . wondering about grades, etc.??? Any help would be appreciated.

We too are planning a trip this summer to this area and are wondering how US Hwy 191 from Eagar, AZ south to Guthrie, AZ (through Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest) is? Looks pretty curvy on the map . . . wondering about grades, etc.??? Any help would be appreciated.

US-191 South from Alpine to Three Way has some grades of 8-9%. From Hannagan Meadow South to Morenci, trucks over 40' in length are prohibited. There are 10-15MPH hairpin turns. Just North of Morenci there is a 12'7" clearance tunnel.

tunnel_us_191.jpg

A good alternative route from Alpine South is US-180 East to NM/AZ-78 to Three Way and US-191.

Thank you for the information . . . That sounds a little more "exciting" than we would want to try, plus our motorhome is about an inch too tall (!) . . . We have driven US 180 and it is a beautiful highway as well. We will study the map a little more! Thanks again for your input.

On a beautiful fall October mid-week day we decided to take Hwy 191 from Alpine south. This is when we first got our motorhome in 2004. We came to the sign stating '40' prohibited' but there was absolutely no place to turn our big rig around so we had to keep going. We encountered absolutely no other vehicles on that 2-hour or so drive which was a good thing because the curves were very tight. We don't even remember the tunnel but we must have went through it o.k.

Soon afterward we ordered the "Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers" and checked out the mountain highways BEFORE getting on them.

Here's a link about that highway from the Mountain Directory which is highly recommended. We love mountain drives but learned to check them out first.

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/sample/arizona.html

I can't talk to the road hazards for RVs because I was driving a pickup but, for those who have not been to Canyon de Chelly, you are missing a real treat. If you are a fan of Native American culture and artworks, you'll have a great time here.

I spent a ton on pottery, local artist paintings and sculptures, and a few other items and still have much of it on display around the house.

Hope to get back there sometime soon.

2gypsies: thank you so much for your input! We just ordered our Mountain Directory West (print edition, may order the e-book as well after we have a chance to look it over). Looks like it is full of much needed information and could possibly be a lifesaver!!! :) Can't wait to get it and start planning. Thanks again!

TrailerTraveler: a picture is indeed worth a thousand words!!! Thanks! :D

Archived