Ghost Rider raised from the dead. Flew back to Barksdale AFB

RV_

"Sacumcised"......I love it...well, I hated it..... but I like the word for it. Spent way too much time on-base at Robbins AFB, Georgia, when I wanted to be home in South Carolina. I got away fron the B52's and KC135's and went to work for Civil Service at Robbins on C141's. All of that was after tech school on C130's, working on C124's and then 2 tours in Viet Nam flying on C-47's. Still nothing like the noise and smoke of those ol' radial engines as they chug to life. Some of the proudest moments in my young life were when the pilot or co-pilot could not get one of the old 2R-R-1830-90-D engines to running and I would ask them for a shot at it and get it to fire up. The C-47's are the part of Viet Nam that I miss. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Wow! C-124. I caught a hop on one in 1963, from Richards-Gebauer AFB outside Kansas City, to Travis outside San Francisco. What a miserable ride sitting in those jump seats, and freezing our butts off. I was the only one not puking his guts out. Even the pilot came down from the cockpit with his barf bag full. Funny now, but not at the time.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

This is bringing back a lot of lost memories.I have no idea of the year, probably late 60's. At Andrews AFB you got to see all types of aircraft at one time or another. I was driving down the parking ramp past bleachers that were set up for the brass. I saw an unfamiliar fighter circling the base, when he came and looked like he was going to land, but he didn't, he just stopped & hovered. To say the least my jaw fell open and I hit the brakes to watch. He then proceeded to back up, and then spin around. It was of course a Harrier, something I had never seen before. When I got back to my section and told the guys what I had seen, they thought I had sniffed too much JP-4

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Archived