We Did It

chevy3500

Congrats and welcome, we just bought a 2000 t2000 in Nov. flew from Colorado to Florida and drove it 2000 miles home sure enjoyed

the ride. I can't give too much info on it we haven't been out in it too much we do get cold and snowy here in Colorado. I hope to hear

more from you on this forum and good luck.

Chip and Ruth

2000 Kenworth T2000 'Titus'

2006 Keystone Raptor 'Cletus'

2010 Smart 'Alyck'

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my friends has one of these super pickups and it is a rough ride. No thanks....I like the set up I have now.

OK, start with a hard mounted cab, 3/4 ton rides harder than 1/2 ton, 1 ton rides harder than 3/4 ton, they don't put in softer springs as they increase capacity of the "Supers" to 1 1/2, 2 tons and beyond, Try a class 6 or 7 MDT and you will be visiting your dentist to reinstall your missing fillings your swallowed traversing Pennsylvania's perpetual road repair sections.

Experience HDTs air mounted cab, engineered for 24 hour per day driving and sleeping team and exclaim to the world and the mountains, "I am never going back to the girlie truck cabins or the bony mule without the saddle mountain travel of the MDT".

"Oh no, oh no, never!"

Actually a new Dodge 5500 does not ride all that bad IF you have aftermarket air suspension on it. To me that is required.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhomeĀ 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well, I guess it depends on the MDT. My last truck was a 2008 Freightliner Sport Chassis and it had very similar setup to my HDT. It had air suspension/seats/cab/hitch and was not that rough even empty. It had a little shorter WB with much better turning radius. I tuned it up to 400hp/1250 and got a very good resale value from three years of use.

Well, I guess it depends on the MDT. My last truck was a 2008 Freightliner Sport Chassis and it had very similar setup to my HDT. It had air suspension/seats/cab/hitch and was not that rough even empty. It had a little shorter WB with much better turning radius. I tuned it up to 400hp/1250 and got a very good resale value from three years of use.

Rick, what you had comes as close to HDT as possible in a slightly smaller package. I happened to own a more "classic" version of an MDT.

013.jpg

Ā 

For some strange reason "they do hold their value", I did very well selling it after four years of use and it had good brakes. Other than that it was a piece of crap. The ride was horrendous and pulling power was pitiful. We bought it because it looked impressive and we thought that it was a "step up" from the pickups we used. It was a decision based on ignorance. We met few MDTers who would admit that these were lousy overpriced trucks and couple livid and ready to shoot their salesman, but only a few. Also knew couple of vocal wives who talked about their "idiot husband" giving up a nice 1 ton hauler and buying a MDT that they couldn't stand riding in.

OK, start with a hard mounted cab, 3/4 ton rides harder than 1/2 ton, 1 ton rides harder than 3/4 ton, they don't put in softer springs as they increase capacity of the "Supers" to 1 1/2, 2 tons and beyond, Try a class 6 or 7 MDT and you will be visiting your dentist to reinstall your missing fillings your swallowed traversing Pennsylvania's perpetual road repair sections.

Experience HDTs air mounted cab, engineered for 24 hour per day driving and sleeping team and exclaim to the world and the mountains, "I am never going back to the girlie truck cabins or the bony mule without the saddle mountain travel of the MDT".

"Oh no, oh no, never!"

Ā 

Phoenix, you need t do more research....my 2001 ..yes, I said 2001....has an air ride cab, seats and rear suspension on it when it was bought...

Ā 

So other than an extra 150 hp, tell me why again I need a HDT ?

Just as an off the cuff comment....my brother in law is both a solicitor and barrister and he says what ever topic you chose to argue, you will find both "expert" and "anecdotal" information to support it...

Ā 

"admit that these were lousy overpriced trucks and couple livid and ready to shoot their salesman, but only a few. Also knew couple of vocal wives who talked about their "idiot husband" giving up a nice 1 ton hauler and buying a MDT that they couldn't stand riding in."

Ā 

"decision based on ignorance."

Ā 

So we mdt owners are just stupid to buy one and bought it out of ignorance...???

Ā 

Buddy, I think you have a problem....

Ā 

"Oh no, oh no, never!"

Ā 

Phoenix, you need t do more research....my 2001 ..yes, I said 2001....has an air ride cab, seats and rear suspension on it when it was bought...

Ā 

Ā 

The MDT I owned had air ride seats and air suspension, it did not have air cab, although I did drive one with air cab suspension. Both had very harsh ride. It would slow down to 35-45 mph on any hill with a 13,000, 36 foot trailer, this is not an opinion, it was a fact. Could I tolerate it, sure, I did for four years. Then, I purchased 40 foot trailer weighing 22,500 pounds, That's why I needed an HDT and not so much the extra 150HP, but for almost 1,000 more foot pounds of torque.

I am not saying that you need, or anyone else needs an HDT, it's a very personal decision, all I am saying that I NEEDED AN HDT.

I have a heavy trailer, I don't like crawling up hills at 35-45 miles an hour, both my wife and I drive and pull and we enjoy the comfort and convenience of the big cab. We don't mind a big truck to use even as a personal vehicle, or to park it in my driveway.

Ā 

On edit: I am known on this forum as probably the most self deprecating writer and I don't offer general opinions unless I personally experience something. My "ignorance comment" was just that, we had no clue what we were buying (other than its looks and "reputation") when we flew to Florida to purchase the MDT. The first clue was when the truck launched us from the air seats against the ceiling over the first bad piece of the road, the second when we hitched up and went up the first hill.

And the comments I quote were not "anecdotal", but actual spoken to us personally by our friends and acquaintances in the MDT community.

MDTs suit some people's needs. The newer M2 and related brands offer a "fair" ride. As does a Dodge 5500 with air suspension. That may be all that people need or want. Nothing wrong with that, at all. Which is what I suggested in my post above. If I did not have a very heavy RV I would not have an HDT. And I did not when I had a smaller rig.

Ā 

However, neither of these options offer the comfort, capability and utility of an HDT for heavy hauling. That is just the way it is. All of this is from personal experience.

Ā 

Does that make an HDT the right answer for everyone? Of course not. There are negatives to the HDT, just as there are negatives to an MDT or a super-pickup. Anyone in the market needs to collect all the relevant data and make the tradeoffs important to THEM. Because everyone is different. There is no single right answer that works for everyone.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhomeĀ 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

It is a personal decision. We were on the fence with this. Our Teton is 20kish. Our 2012 Chevy does well. Will stop it under normal stops without coach brakes. Found this out on short trip. We get 7mpg under good conditions. Less if head wind or hilly. For strictly towing an HDT is a better choice. I still work full time and a Smart Car is not our ideal commute vehicle. Could not park HDT in our parking lots on job. They are not even allowed in there. We stay in mostly mom and pop rv parks. They are quiet and nice hosts generally. No where to park an HDT here. So our choice was to outfit the truck (hauler bed/airhitch) and buy lots of fuel. Now after retirement likely change truck.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

"decision based on ignorance."

Ā 

So we mdt owners are just stupid to buy one and bought it out of ignorance...???

Ā 

Buddy, I think you have a problem....

What phoenix said was "We bought it because it looked impressive and we thought that it was a "step up" from the pickups we used. It was a decision based on ignorance." It sounds to me like he was speaking of himself, not about you. No one here said anything about MDT owners being stupid...except you. Maybe "the problem" is less with the comment he made and more with the chip on your shoulder, or your reading comprehension?

Ā 

Need? For your 13,000 lb trailer, you probably don't. But I enjoy my two beds, dining table, refrigerator, microwave, bigger brakes, larger cab, extra towing capacity and more comfortable ride.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance toĀ idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3Ā 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ā 

Ā 
Ā 

So I cannot read and I have a chip on my shoulder as well..... Probably, with the latter...i really notice for some HDT owners, the MDT is their punching bag.. I am not pointing fingers and I am certainly not the first to say so.....

Ā 

I tend to research anything I buy quite thoroughly...I could have purchased a HDT. It certainly would have been a lot easier and cheaper since there are tons of them around and relatively good prices. They do have a cool factor. And I would not have had to ship the unit from one side of the country to the other....or deal with the difficulty of finding body parts for it... Presently, a HDT would be overkill for a 12K trailer...plus there were other disadvantages that we just don't want to deal with ... if the DW wants to go to a larger rig, who knows... A pick up would have worked nicely for now, but there are a lot of positives with moving up to a class 5...

Ā 

What I expect here is a support system for those that love to RV for longer time frames and to support what ever twas brought to the party...if the can. If you want negativity, there are other forums for that...

Honestly, as someone who doesn't use the rig that much, my first choice would be a MDT. I just couldn't justify the additional cost.

KW T-680,Ā POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire,Ā VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Honestly, as someone who doesn't use the rig that much, my first choice would be a MDT. I just couldn't justify the additional cost.

Ā 

Ā 

Why, Rick. Are you implying that your big, beautiful Volvo is actually cheaper than a lesser vehicle? How is that possible, that more power, comfort, capability, capacity could be more economical?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

All of the above typed with tongue firmly in cheek. Don't get bent out of shape.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again.Ā 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Guys

I belive chevy 3500 made his origanal post to let us know how excited

He is to have made the jump up to a KW T 2000. How about we join him and be excited also. I for one look forward to seeing some pictures. Let's save the

Arguments for another day and not ruin Chevys day.

When we were completing our research for trucks, we test drove a 2015 Dodge Ram 5500 laramie. It was outfitted with air REAR suspension, cummins engine and a hauler body. It was the most beautiful truck inside and out that we have seen.

After driving around the block, my wife looked over at me and asked to get out. It was also an extremely rough ride. We knew that we couldn't fulltime in it.

We looked at a Ford F650 (horrible ride) and a M2 (don't like the looks).

We decided on a 2016 Volvo 780 for hauling power, safety, comfort and the ability to stop a 23K lbs fifth wheel.

It all came down to a personal physics choice for us.

Whether it's an HDT, MDT or super pickup it's a very personal choice.

That's why I love this country!!!!!

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

The smart wheel has lights in it they are only avaible from kw I think there is two on each side they are not too hard to replace just unscrew the little screws under the wheel and the top comes off twist new bulb in and you are good to go they used to be three dollars a bulb

Guys

He is to have made the jump up to a KW T 2000. How about we join him and be excited also. I for one look forward to seeing some pictures. Let's save the

Cheers, cheers, we have actually two celebrations here, chevy 3500 and What's Next, the Dark Side is gaining

Ā 

2090176590096176628VSAZaj_fs.jpgDarth%2520Maul.jpg

Guys

:) Understood :)

Always glad to have a new HDT'er but do we require him to change his nickname? From Chevy to ?????

Ā 

Ā 

I think I should go have a drink

DrPepperEvolutionAd.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance toĀ idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3Ā 

2014 smart Fortwo

Ā 

Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Why, Rick. Are you implying that your big, beautiful Volvo is actually cheaper than a lesser vehicle? How is that possible, that more power, comfort, capability, capacity could be more economical?

Ā 

Ā 

All of the above typed with tongue firmly in cheek. Don't get bent out of shape.

Ā 

Okay, poor wording on my part. What I should have said is, that prior to my spending months of researching the subject, my first choice would have been a MDT. But in doing my homework, I discovered that an HDT actually doesn't give up much in everyday practicality, given the benefits in power, comfort, longevity, and cost.

Ā 

And as previously said, it's nice to live where we have choices. An HDT ain't for everyone. If it were, they wouldn't be so economical.

KW T-680,Ā POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire,Ā VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Guys

THANKYOU ;>)

Archived