Battery terminal protector

Yarome

I haven't done the trailer batteries, and I should, but I did have the batteries in the truck treated at the dealership when it was in for an oil change.

They first cleaned everything at the terminals, then used what looks like the standard red/green felt washers except they cover a larger area. They then applied dielectric grease to the posts, tightened everything up and then sprayed it all with Permatex Battery Protector and Sealer. For $50 and a written guarantee that it will last as long as I own the truck, I thought it was worth it. That was done 2 years ago and the terminals still look like they just did it.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I use NoAlOx to coat all metal in and on each connection. It is not a spray but a grease-like compound rubbed into every part of the connection. I think it is a silicone grease saturated with carbon (graphite). It was made to prevent oxidation on large aluminum connectors and prevent electrolytic erosion where different metals contact. I originally used it to coat the fine strands of copper in 4/0 welding cable in a battery bank interconnected with large aluminum connectors. I've found absolutely no corrosion or deterioration anywhere in the inverter/battery system. I now use it on all electrical connections where corrosion can be a problem - even outside fixtures at the beach that previously fell apart in a year in the salt air and spray.

2005 Safari Simba 37PCT

Fulltimer - resident of Polson, MT

Mostly in CO, MT, NC & KW FL

USAF Retired

Though not specifically designed for sealing battery posts our Diesel Crew (name given the USCG group of Mk's that oversaw our many remote auto-start diesel generator sites) used a spray on Permatex product. Perhaps this was a carry over from the days when you just put some Permatex on your finger and smirred it on.

Later,

J

PS I think this is the stuff....

http://permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/adhesives-sealants/sealants/permatex--spray-sealant-leak-repair-detail

PSS Or perhaps this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80370-Battery-Protector-Aerosol/dp/B000BOKML2

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

That's pretty much what I do.. dielectric grease then top it of with CRC (aka the red stuff). I was just curious if there was anything better out on the market. I only have to retreat every couple three years or so, but still.. I'm always open to newer products/processes. I'm waiting for that "magic" treatment you only have to do once per decade. :P

I'm sure some of you know that :

"Dielectric grease is a non-conductive, silicone-based grease that's designed to seal out moisture and prevent corrosion on electrical connectors. It also disrupts the flow of electrical current, which makes it good for lubricating and sealing the rubber parts of electrical connectors. It's commonly used in automotive spark plug wires, recreational and utility vehicles, and electrical systems inaircraft.

Physical Properties

This material is a translucent, gray lubricant that does not dissolve in liquids like ethanol, methanol, mineral oil, and water. It can be dissolved with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and mineral spirits though. Dielectric grease affects silicone rubber over time, so it isn't always a good choice to use it on silicone-based O-rings or wiring harnesses.

It can withstand high temperatures, making it a good choice for engine compartments and similar locations. Many dielectric greases are rated to work in up to 392° F (200° C) temperatures, and some can operate at up to 500° F (260° C). Though there are other greases that can work at these temperatures, they may not prevent the flow of electrical current like dielectric grease does."

From : http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-dielectric-grease.htm#didyouknowout

Goes around , comes around .

I have used a pipe sealer for years. Its called rector seal #5 and available at Lowes and Home Depot now. Years ago it was only at wholesale plumbing supply stores.

It is for industrial gas, oil and plumbing work. It is brushed on and then it will stay where you put it and dry, but just get stiff.

I also use it on bolts that will need to be removed some time later but will get wet and dirty and rust tight. And for plumbing sealer also.

One can for many uses.

Safe Travels, Vern

I haven't done the trailer batteries, and I should, but I did have the batteries in the truck treated at the dealership when it was in for an oil change.

They first cleaned everything at the terminals, then used what looks like the standard red/green felt washers except they cover a larger area. They then applied dielectric grease to the posts, tightened everything up and then sprayed it all with Permatex Battery Protector and Sealer. For $50 and a written guarantee that it will last as long as I own the truck, I thought it was worth it. That was done 2 years ago and the terminals still look like they just did it.

Now that's a whopping warranty. It will last for as long as you own the truck, even after replacing the battery, which will not last as long unless you trade every 4-5 years.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Now that's a whopping warranty. It will last for as long as you own the truck, even after replacing the battery, which will not last as long unless you trade every 4-5 years.

I agree. I really like this dealership. They offer a coupon book for $249 that gives you 5 oil changes, 5 tire rotations, discounts on parts, labor for other work and accessories. Considering that anywhere around town it is $70-75 for the oil change alone, that makes buying the book well worth it.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived