Possible good start for a custom RV?

CrazyCooter

Converting stuff that is already built to do something else is an "interesting project" for the young, stout, with a patient and understanding wife or significant other and a money pit. Been there done that. Buy something that already does what you want to, or close to it. Even at $23 grands it will turn into a lousy bargain in short order.

Converting stuff that is already built to do something else is an "interesting project" for the young, stout, with a patient and understanding wife or significant other and a money pit. Been there done that. Buy something that already does what you want to, or close to it. Even at $23 grands it will turn into a lousy bargain in short order.

Did you ask the old goat what he thinks before this post?

Been there doing that!! But I call it fun..

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

I challenge all comers: Phoenix Craigslist. Do not click this link before, during, or after meals. Avoid viewing if pregnant, or about to become pregnant. Virgins should avoid at all costs. You were warned.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Old Goat has been into all kind of crap over the years, I think old age is finally "slowing him down", not. He has gotten more "reflective" entering his eight decade and ready to admit the follies of his youth. Multi-year projects were his "specialty" at one time. He's reluctant to take on projects these days which he might have to complete "from the other side".

I challenge all comers: Phoenix Craigslist. Do not click this link before, during, or after meals. Avoid viewing if pregnant, or about to become pregnant. Virgins should avoid at all costs. You were warned.

What a roach......

I hear ya Phoenix on the big projects. I seldom take anything on that takes more than a couple of day at the shop or at home. Tired of spending months chasing all those details.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Old Goat has been into all kind of crap over the years, I think old age is finally "slowing him down", not. He has gotten more "reflective" entering his eight decade and ready to admit the follies of his youth. Multi-year projects were his "specialty" at one time. He's reluctant to take on projects these days which he might have to complete "from the other side".

Well said. I have a Yamaha Rhino Vmax engine swap in my garage, going on five years now. If I was not so stubborn, I would call the scrap metal guy and tell him to haul it away.

When I started it, the Vmax 1200cc V4 engine would have been the biggest and the best. Now you can buy side by sides that make just as much HP.

Jim

Case in point with the Old Goat. 1970s...........................................

Starting point,

img010.jpg

Finished point.

img029.jpg

and along the way the "exuberance of youth".

img013.jpg

img007.jpg

img005.jpg

By the way that child in front of the "project" is now 40 years old. Next to the child is a "patient" DW who adopted an attitude "since this idiot is determined to spend three years in the garage fixing this thing, I'm going to get a license to fly it when he gets done" and she did.

Four decades later, the Old Goat is in somewhat more "reflective state of mind". Communing with nature is a "good project".

DSC_0098.JPG

O M G.

That has to be the understatement of the year.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. I love how he says it can be registered under 26k but he put in a bigger front axle. Or that it'll do 75mph at 1800rpm...dude, you're supposed to gear for 1500rpm tops, possibly even 1350 (Cat) or 1050 (newer Volvo).

All I can say is you need to be really young to start a project like this. Gives you time to fill the pit.

Bob and Jenise

Class of 2016 Full timers :)

2008 Newmar Essex 45' 500hp ism towing Honda CRV awd

Every day you wake up is a good day!!!!

While we may never intend to sell our projects, in reality, someone will have to sell it someday. As in, our heirs. That rig will never have any value, certainly not enough to cover expenses, let alone the time.

But, to each his own...........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived