5thW hitch

bigjim

I thought about something that might be useful if I was talking to some one contemplating a 5thW hitch.

Are slider hitiches typically heavier and more expensive than the standard 5thW hitch?

If they were not sure what 5th.W they might be getting or thought they might change in a a couple of years, would they be smarter to go ahead and buy a slider hitch and would it be for ANY 5thW

Slider hitches are only needed on short bed trucks. A long bed truck can use a standard hitch.

Sliders do cost more and weigh more than a regular 5th wheel hitch.

The are a lot of newer 5thh wheel trailers with the corners of the nose cut back so that you can use a regular hitch with a short bed truck.

Long bed trucks are 8' long and short bed trucks run from 6.5' down to 5.5'.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I get that but I am asking something slightly different but did not explain it well. Let me try again with a different scenario. Let's say your brother owns a slider that he is no longer using. Would it work in an 8ft. bed? Since the price is right (free) why not use it.

I wouldn't, extra complexity and maintenance are things I can do without, giving up the storage space to deal with the hitch movement wouldn't be good either.

Changing hitches usually means drilling more holes in your truck bed too, so getting the right hitch the first time is a really good idea.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I get that but I am asking something slightly different but did not explain it well. Let me try again with a different scenario. Let's say your brother owns a slider that he is no longer using. Would it work in an 8ft. bed? Since the price is right (free) why not use it.

For a basic answer to your question - Yes, you can do this. If it were me I might do it as a temporary fix to get me the ability to tow a fiver, but I would not use it as a long term solution. The biggest disadvantage to using a slider hitch when you don't need to is weight. Slider hitches are very heavy. This hurts your overall towing capacity and truck and truck rear axle weight capacities. It is also a pain to remove and install in the bed of the truck because of the weight. And finally, as Stanley said, they take up a lot of space and may affect storage space in the bed of your truck.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I wouldn't, extra complexity and maintenance are things I can do without, giving up the storage space to deal with the hitch movement wouldn't be good either.

Changing hitches usually means drilling more holes in your truck bed too, so getting the right hitch the first time is a really good idea.

X2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a curt Q5 20k slider that came with the 5th wheel and a long bed truck. It is very solid. I really

don't notice any movement between the truck and 5th wheel. Of course, I have a light 5th wheel [11k]. I

won't change it because why mess with something that works so well when one is as poor as me?

2003 Coachman Chaparal 276 RLS

2000 F250, 7.3l auto ext. cab 4x4

If it is a manual slider hitch it would not hurt to use it because it will only slide when you release it and you will still be able full use of your bed, but if it is an autoslider I would not use it in a long bed as it lose a lot of your bed when it slides and turns.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived